By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4's Early Sales Lead Might Be All Smoke and Mirrors

Tagged games:

"All smoke and mirrors"

Nah, Sony is dominating the same way they did with the PS2.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network
Turkish said:
Reads like a forum post, is this your article?

I feel offended that you think that way Turkish. I would never write such a stupid article...

I just posted this as an example of how NOT to do gaming journalism. Then again every article is as good as this one.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

I think it's fairly obvious why PS4 is outselling the competition. Compared to WiiU it has more of the big third-party games that consumers buy, e.g. Madden, Fifa, Battlefield. Compared to Xbox One, it started cheaper and more powerful, and avoided all the negative PR that plagued Microsoft early this generation.

What I don't get, however, is why it's selling SO well. It's almost a year later, and the majority of PS4's best sellers are available on several other platforms, including Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PS3. I don't understand why more people aren't waiting for the library to grow and the price to drop.

As internet intellectuals love to say these days. AYY LMAO

Anfebious said:

The question is: HOW?

Game-wise, not much going on in the realm of exclusive software

You could point to inFamous: Second Son for PS4 and Titanfall for Xbox One so far in 2014, but that's about it. And it's certain the latter game received far more hype than Second Son. Coming up, there's Forza Horizon 2 but it's unlikely that this exclusive alone will give Xbox One a significant boost in any territory. On the flip side, it's feasible that many gamers are looking forward to 2015 already and if that's the case, they're seeing Uncharted 4: A Thief's EndBloodborneThe Order: 1886 and other hugely promising games for PlayStation 4.

I basically stopped caring after this sentence, I know where this was going.

Around the Network

This is what happens when you don't have a 1 year lead. How did PS3 catch up to 360? Europe and Japan. They picked up the slack of American sales for PS3. PS3 eventually got a similar price to 360, had mostly the same games, etc.....people just like Playstaion more in those areas than Xbox.

Now, carry that same mentality over to this gen. America, on the other hand, isn't so "biased" and will pick what's best. And how are things faring? Not a statistical tie, by any means, but NPD, now that pretty much all things are equal, is showing very close sales. PS4 is still winning by a decent amount, but not by a 3, 4, 5:1 margin like in other territories. 187K vs 131k for July, 190k vs 160k for August.

So there's your explanation. Closer sales in America, the rest of the world is just Playstation-land.

It may be old news, but I've said it before: PS3, for respective years, has always outsold the 360. Had you aligned the launches, it would have handidly outsold the 360 instead of just tying, because the Xbox brand is just that weak and the Playstation brand is just that strong in Europe and Japan. One territory (America) can't hold all that weight for Xbox.

Wow. That is one of the most boring "arcticles" I've seen in a long time. Reads like an average VGC user post.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

To sum up this train of thought:

"It can't be a, b, c or d because they're not big deals."

Nope but a+b+c+d = big deal.

The PS5 Exists. 

This made absolutely no sense.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

i see a direct correlation between the 2:1 ps4 to xbone sales ratio and the 2:1 ps4 to xbone games ratio. it's obvious that indies are the reason playstation is killing it.