By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4's Early Sales Lead Might Be All Smoke and Mirrors

Tagged games:

pokoko said:
The fact is, the PS4 "won" a lot of categories initially, which allowed them to build a substantial amount of positive momentum. Microsoft, on the other hand, stumbled out of the blocks, giving them negative momentum. The combination of those two factors, plus the PS4 having an edge in other considerations such as price and performance, created an impression with the general public that the difference between the two consoles is greater than it really is.

Remember, the average consumer tends to think in absolutes, and is easily swayed by such terms. "More powerful" might only be a difference of a few horsepower but the term itself stirs something in people that is hard to overcome. Many people aren't going to ask about the real-world difference, they're simply going to be content that one is "more powerful" than the other. The same can be said of "more popular", which is actually a factor a substantial number of consumers value greatly.

Consumers don't think in absolutes; they BUY in absolutes!  Remember they can't buy 60% of a PS4 and 40% of an XB1.  For most people they have to choose one of the two.  A seemingly small perceived advantage, all other things being equal, should result in near 100% sales for the one that's perceived better.

If you go to a shop and see a 10 pound bag of sugar and an 11 pound bag of sugar, both selling for $10, both the same perceived quality, the sales aren't going to be 11:10... they're going to be about 100:0 in favor of the 11 pound bag.

The answer to the question "How come the sales are so different when the experience is almost as good?" should be obvious.  Being "almost as good" is not a reason to sell at all, unless it's cheaper.

To an average Joe who sees the same price, and is not attached to a particular brand or exclusive games, they will likely pick PS4 every time.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Funny note:

The XOne never needed an always online connection to play games.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Always_Online_Connection

WAAWOW!!

That is straight out a lie. You have to dig into a obscure ign forun thread that means not. 

But yeh, its right, games like Destiny and Titanfall would not function without an active link to the web.

Any other game would be the same? I don´t know, but developers and publisher can still do that, easily.

FATALITY said:

i can do better

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Day_One_Update

WAIT!!

That has nothing to do with a constant and stable internet conection to play all your games.

Aways online means AWAYS ONLINE!

This thread doesn't make lot of sense so I have to close it

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Dark_Feanor said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Funny note:

The XOne never needed an always online connection to play games.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Always_Online_Connection

WAAWOW!!

That is straight out a lie. You have to dig into a obscure ign forun thread that means not. 

But yeh, its right, games like Destiny and Titanfall would not function without an active link to the web.

Any other game would be the same? I don´t know, but developers and publisher can still do that, easily.

official ign wiki = obscure ign forum thread

Think you need to get some rest.

All XB1 games were intended to be connected to the cloud, meaning they need an always online connection. The 24 hour checkin just added fuel to the fire.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Pretty badly written article to be honest, not to mention the argument is poor.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

pokoko said:
It's just an editorial, people, calm down. After reading the article, which is largely inoffensive, I was very surprised at the angry reactions.

The truth is, it really is kind of smoke and mirrors, as the differences between the XO and PS4, relative to the usage of the average consumer, is somewhat marginal. Most people out there are going to have identical experiences on Madden or CoD.

However, "smoke and mirrors" can have an extremely powerful effect on perception. Even the perception that one is "winning" and another is "losing" can have an impact on which device an individual consumer might choose.

The fact is, the PS4 "won" a lot of categories initially, which allowed them to build a substantial amount of positive momentum. Microsoft, on the other hand, stumbled out of the blocks, giving them negative momentum. The combination of those two factors, plus the PS4 having an edge in other considerations such as price and performance, created an impression with the general public that the difference between the two consoles is greater than it really is.

Remember, the average consumer tends to think in absolutes, and is easily swayed by such terms. "More powerful" might only be a difference of a few horsepower but the term itself stirs something in people that is hard to overcome. Many people aren't going to ask about the real-world difference, they're simply going to be content that one is "more powerful" than the other. The same can be said of "more popular", which is actually a factor a substantial number of consumers value greatly.

I think that, among average consumers, those who depend on others for information, both the advantages of the PS4 and the disadvantages of the XO have been magnified somewhat. It seems fair to me to call this "smoke and mirrors", as that phrase refers to tricks of perception. That doesn't mean those factors aren't real, just that they've grown beyond reality, much the way a fish that got away grows with each retelling of the tale.

This is just about the most sensible post in the thread - its a shame it was largely neglected.

I suspect that the author of the original article intended to say something akin to this post.

Though I agree with those who point out its a pretty poorly written article.

Also - stop attacking Jega. Non-permabanned users are not open to ridicule just because they are on a short hiatus.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Why does shit like this get posted here?? :/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

1 word or 2! bullshit.

Add me if u want :)

TheWPCTraveler said:
"All smoke and mirrors"

Nah, Sony is dominating the same way they did with the PS2.

No its not.

PS2 had a shit ton of exclusive must have 3rd party games. GTA3, FFX, KH just to name a few of the biggest ones.

I think the fact the PS4 is the more powerful console and was initially cheaper, and now still the same price is the driving factor. 

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut