By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4's Early Sales Lead Might Be All Smoke and Mirrors

Tagged games:

NightDragon83 said:
Oh, and one more thing...

Sony fans 2013: "Screw you M$, we'll never give in to your always online DRM bullshit! We want to be able to play our games wherever and whenever we want, online or off!!!"

Sony fans 2014: "I can't wait to pick up my copy of Destiny!"

There is a difference between every game requiring it and only some games requiring it. To say there is not is pretty disengenuous , this coming from a Nintendo fan(boy) who spent thousands on my 360 and library over last gen and only got a PS4 because of how bad microsofts last years E3 conference was. 

Microsoft would have left me with a brick had my internet gone out for whatever reason for more than 24 hours, the PS4 has some games that cant be played offline, but still has plenty of offline functioning games.  I do not like always online DRM but it is not new at all , its been the norm for many high profile PC games for quite sometime but again on the PC there are still plenty of games that can be played offline - again different from the proposed Xbox one. 

Who is John Galt?

3DS Friend Code : 2535-4338-9000 

AMD FX 8150 , 8 GB DDR3 Kingston Memory,  EVGA GTX 560 TI 2 GB superclocked, Samsung 256 GB SSD

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
NightDragon83 said:
Oh, and one more thing...

Sony fans 2013: "Screw you M$, we'll never give in to your always online DRM bullshit! We want to be able to play our games wherever and whenever we want, online or off!!!"

Sony fans 2014: "I can't wait to pick up my copy of Destiny!"

There is a huge difference between Bungie locking their game behind an always on connection and the console needing an always online connection to play games.

Not to mention your generalizations are wrong. 

Funny note:

The XOne never needed an always online connection to play games.

Boy, I know my english is limited, but for God I try.

I said nothing that you could understand that way.

• No, Companies can lie that way. It affects share prices and perspect of profit and losses. I never said Sony lied, for their account they sold 10mi PS4 by July 31st 2014. How they get there is what interests me.

• no they cant. there is a law for that, and sony has to show results to shareholders otherwise they would sell their shares.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

That was definitly clickbait, but i dont understand why its so surprising. The same thing happened with the PS2.

Also, i think that there is a clear difference in performance. PS4 multiplats have consistenly been superior. But i will agree that the biggest factors are the initial disaproval of the X1 and the so called hype. The latter one beeing the biggest contributer.

Its clear the consumer wanted another PS2. While competition might be good for the market, its not necessarely what the consumer wants. Buying more than one console is excessive for most people, and people want one system with all/most of the games. The playstation brand exudes that image for home consoles since the turnaround of the ps1.

FATALITY said:

• No, Companies can lie that way. It affects share prices and perspect of profit and losses. I never said Sony lied, for their account they sold 10mi PS4 by July 31st 2014. How they get there is what interests me.

• no they cant. there is a law for that, and sony has to show results to shareholders otherwise they would sell their shares.

Sory, typo...

They can´t. 100x they can´t!

Around the Network
    Dark_Feanor said:
    FATALITY said:

Sory, typo...

They can´t. 100x they can´t!

nvm then

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Dark_Feanor said:

Funny note:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Always_Online_Connection

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
    Dark_Feanor said:

Funny note:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Always_Online_Connection

i can do better

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Day_One_Update

NightDragon83 said:

There are only 2 reasons why the PS4 is selling so well compared to the X1:

1: The negative PR for M$ and the positive PR from Sony from the pre-E3 reveals to the lead up to the launch.
    2: The initial $100 price difference between the X1 and PS4.

Take these two things away and the X1 and PS4 are on equal footing. They are literally two sides of the same coin when it comes to features and software library. Arguing that PS4 is selling better because it is technically more powerful or that 3rd party games perform better on PS4 is a joke... PS3 was more powerful than 360, yet 360 trounced it for much of the generation, especially in North America. The original Xbox was more powerful than PS2 and multiplatform games looked and ran better on it, but that didn't stop the PS2 from running away as the market leader that gen.

In fact, the only real reason Sony has had so much success in the home console market, especially during the PS1, 2 and now 4 generations, is because its competition keeps shooting themselves in the foot... Nintendo and SEGA both did this during the PS1 & 2 era, and M$ and Nintendo did just that at the start of this generation.

@ 1st bolded

If it helps you sleep at night telling yourself that, then you go right ahead.  But the truth is that that has played a part in it.  Why do you think that even with MS equaling the footing in terms of price (actually more than equaling, since they are throwing free games at new purchasers), the PS4 sells better.  Are why there was even a resolution-gate, which MS has been doing all they can to give devs more power to try to reach parity with multiplats.  With recent news, though, it seems resolution-gate is going to start up again.

Also, the PS3 was more powerful than the 360, however, that was only shown with exclusives.  The negatives and positives of each system still made them pretty close.  The PS3 was nowhere near ~1.4x as powerful as the 360 (same goes for Xbox vs PS2.)  Maybe ~1.05-1.1x.  It also helped 360 that the PS3 was complicated to work with, so multiplat performance favored the 360 for  the first 1-2 years.

@ 2nd bolded

I guess that means you feel that MS was only successful because Sony shot themselves at the start of last gen?

NightDragon83 said:

There are only 2 reasons why the PS4 is selling so well compared to the X1:

1: The negative PR for M$ and the positive PR from Sony from the pre-E3 reveals to the lead up to the launch.
    2: The initial $100 price difference between the X1 and PS4.

Take these two things away and the X1 and PS4 are on equal footing. They are literally two sides of the same coin when it comes to features and software library. Arguing that PS4 is selling better because it is technically more powerful or that 3rd party games perform better on PS4 is a joke... PS3 was more powerful than 360, yet 360 trounced it for much of the generation, especially in North America.

This is actually incorrect. XB360 had better multiplats, according to Digital Foundry, mainly because of more conventional hardware. The PS3's cell was more powerful than the 360's CPU, but 360's GPU, the important part for games, vastly oustripped the PS3's GPU, which wasn't even originally planned. Now the power is in the games, and that is more significant.

Also, the reason the PS4 is selling better is because of momentum.

The difference between the PS4 and XB1 at Launch, have magnified because of the increasing importance of social network and social media. Thus, the gap grows things seemingly unimportant become a lot more important.

The original Xbox was more powerful than PS2 and multiplatform games looked and ran better on it, but that didn't stop the PS2 from running away as the market leader that gen.

The original Xbox was also more expensive and came out much later than the PS2 did. 

In fact, the only real reason Sony has had so much success in the home console market, especially during the PS1, 2 and now 4 generations, is because its competition keeps shooting themselves in the foot... Nintendo and SEGA both did this during the PS1 & 2 era, and M$ and Nintendo did just that at the start of this generation.

Why is this unique to Sony? How is this any different from saying that any success in life is only because the competition has failed. The only reason I got an A on my test is because everyone else got an F.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about? Maybe you should go back, do some research, and try it again later.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank