By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So is Destiny a critical failure?

Mr Puggsly said:
AZWification said:

Destiny might be a disappointment for some, but not a critical failure! That's going waaaaaay too far.

There are definitely lower than people anticiapted. Everyone was predicting high 80s or low 90. The mid 70s very bad given the hype.

Anyhow, I'm curious to see the meta score when more reviewes have been added. The final score could go up.

the reason critics are scoring it low is because of the hype. They were hyped up too, if the game did not meet their preconvieved notion of what it was supposed to be they are shitting on it.

Let me put it this way those same critics scored Diablo UUE in the low 90s, I just got done being hooked on that game for a few weeks and there is no way it is a better game than Destiny. RoS was a pleasent suprise after what happened to D3 at launch so they are giving it good scores.

Honestly, I was thinking about this. With all these comparisons to other games I think best thing to call destiny is sortuv a SciFi FPS-Diablo.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

I hope by the time the PC releases, it gets any DLC the console version gets included and for free and they are also included in the reviews. The only major open world/sand box game I played last gen was Fall Out New Vegas (which was great!) so I'll be comparing Destiny to this.

RealGamingExpert said:
vivster said:
Yep. 75 is nowadays a critical failure. How did they even dare release this unfun piece of garbage?

For the amount of hype it got that's pretty disappointing for many people.

well if they play ratings and opinions instead of the actual games themselves

Its a fail so need in trying to sugar coat it. Even Titanfall got good scores and to me Destiny is a much better game. I actually like the game alot and just wish it had a player driven economy, more classes, voice chat and a better way to form groups.

I think it would have scored 85 or higher if it wasn't overhyped as hell, falsely advertised and developed by a more unknown studio.

But sales would be worse.

The critical reception may ruin their long-term plan for the game.

Around the Network

Don't be cynical; 75 is a complete disaster and it will hurt sales as soon as people start to notice how mediocre this game is.

bigjon said:
Mr Puggsly said:

There are definitely lower than people anticiapted. Everyone was predicting high 80s or low 90. The mid 70s very bad given the hype.

Anyhow, I'm curious to see the meta score when more reviewes have been added. The final score could go up.

the reason critics are scoring it low is because of the hype. They were hyped up too, if the game did not meet their preconvieved notion of what it was supposed to be they are shitting on it.

Let me put it this way those same critics scored Diablo UUE in the low 90s, I just got done being hooked on that game for a few weeks and there is no way it is a better game than Destiny. RoS was a pleasent suprise after what happened to D3 at launch so they are giving it good scores.

Honestly, I was thinking about this. With all these comparisons to other games I think best thing to call destiny is sortuv a SciFi FPS-Diablo.

Some critics are giving it higher scores than it deserves. Maybe its getting those scores because of hype?

Diablo III and Destiny is apples and oranges. Not even the same genre. People don't go into those games for the same reasons. Also, Diablo III is a lot more fun locally given it actually has local co-op.

I think Destiny is a solid 7/10. The game is still worth playing if shooting at waves of enemies is your thing.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

75 on its own is not a critical failure, however; the budget size, lengthy development, reputation of the developers and incredible hype make this a critical failure compared to expectations.
I've not personally been hyped for this title at all since I never enjoyed Halo and I felt that the gameplay looked sort of bland and like the kind that is not for me; I did not expect the scores to be this "low" though.

This is the great weakness of today's review system and gaming industry (in regards to reviews); the hype often ends up overshadowing the quality of the product itself and expectations are often way too high, leading what are actually decent or even good scores, to be considered low and paltry.

Since when does ratings = sales. I think we should wait till we have sales numbers before we start calling it a critical failure before we even have week 1 sales. Or even quality for that matter.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Mummelmann said:
75 on its own is not a critical failure, however; the budget size, lengthy development, reputation of the developers and incredible hype make this a critical failure compared to expectations.
I've not personally been hyped for this title at all since I never enjoyed Halo and I felt that the gameplay looked sort of bland and like the kind that is not for me; I did not expect the scores to be this "low" though.

This is the great weakness of today's review system and gaming industry (in regards to reviews); the hype often ends up overshadowing the quality of the product itself and expectations are often way too high, leading what are actually decent or even good scores, to be considered low and paltry.

This is a good point. 75 is not a bad score per se, but when taken in context -- advertising budget, development time, Bungie's reputation -- the score is damning.