By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So is Destiny a critical failure?

DarkRPGamer007 said:

With all the hype surrounding the game, many thought Destiny would be huge both in sales and from critics. But looking at gamerankings.com, which takes numerous reviews and then averages them, Destiny seems to be not doing so hot. High sales are guaranteed, but if negative press persits I don't see the game having very good legs. Look at Watch Dogs vs Mario Kart 8. Watch Dogs may have outsold it at first, but mixed reviews made it dip into a poor sales point, while Mario Kart 8 hasn't sold under 50k any week it's been out, which has been 3 months on vgchartz now. And Destiny has even lower ratings than Watch Dogs, so I believe after it's first month (if not sooner) it will take a nosedive into the point of no return.

Don't believe me? here's the ratings (http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=2014&numrev=3&sort=0&letter=&search=Destiny)

I never expected it to get amazing reviews.  It's doing slightly worse than I thought it would, but oh well... They have already profited.  I'm sure the sequel will fix any issues they have now.

Around the Network

I do NOT get the criticism for this game. It's great world design, fun combat, cool guns, good leveling system, lots of stuff to do (still can't beat the earth raid), and while not a fully fleshed out story yet it has TEN years to tell it which is probably where most of the complaints are coming from, lack of understanding that this is a TEN year project and stuff like story and continued leveling will be expanded upon there.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

You want to know what this means? Destiny is worse than Final Fantasy XIII. Ouch, Bungie is in for pain for years to come!

I like Final Fantasy XIII.

Captain_Tom said:
DarkRPGamer007 said:

With all the hype surrounding the game, many thought Destiny would be huge both in sales and from critics. But looking at gamerankings.com, which takes numerous reviews and then averages them, Destiny seems to be not doing so hot. High sales are guaranteed, but if negative press persits I don't see the game having very good legs. Look at Watch Dogs vs Mario Kart 8. Watch Dogs may have outsold it at first, but mixed reviews made it dip into a poor sales point, while Mario Kart 8 hasn't sold under 50k any week it's been out, which has been 3 months on vgchartz now. And Destiny has even lower ratings than Watch Dogs, so I believe after it's first month (if not sooner) it will take a nosedive into the point of no return.

Don't believe me? here's the ratings (http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=2014&numrev=3&sort=0&letter=&search=Destiny)

I never expected it to get amazing reviews.  It's doing slightly worse than I thought it would, but oh well... They have already profited.  I'm sure the sequel will fix any issues they have now.

Not sequel, expansions.  Seriously how do people not get this yet?  Bungie said from the start this is a TEN YEAR PROJECT!  There won't be a sequel for a LOOOOOONG time and they will keep releasing expansions for the story and progression with new worlds to explore and new sections of the existing ones.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

RealGamingExpert said:
Seems like people don't care anymore if games are good or not.
If it has hype it will be bought.
I hope that won't be the theme of this generation...

I don't see reviews hurting the game tbh.
There is still a lot of time to improve.

Really don't know if it's hype that affects the perceiving of people about a title. But it seems so... 

If Destiny was a game released out of nowhere, without that marketing around it, I bet it would have received very high scores, because of some innovations.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

Around the Network

Yes.

Sales, no
Reception, yes

For the amt of hype, I would say yeah, quite a big critical failure.

Personally, I've rarely found a game that I thought was great that was less than 82 or so on Metacritic; so, 75 is still bad IMO, even without hype. 

Even Call of Duty: Ghosts on the PlayStation 4 has a higher metacritic than Destiny on the PlayStation 4.  Welp

RealGamingExpert said:
Seems like people don't care anymore if games are good or not.
If it has hype it will be bought.
I hope that won't be the theme of this generation...

I don't see reviews hurting the game tbh.
There is still a lot of time to improve.

That started at least 2005. Tho so its no news at all