By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So is Destiny a critical failure?

t3mporary_126 said:
I hope by the time the PC releases, it gets any DLC the console version gets included and for free and they are also included in the reviews. The only major open world/sand box game I played last gen was Fall Out New Vegas (which was great!) so I'll be comparing Destiny to this.

This is why im disapointed. New vegas (my fave game ever) 

is how you create this type of game with secret areas, surprises and flexible storylines based on your actions. I was hoping this would be a sci-fi version of this but with the added important addition of online. So far its not...but it could be still one day...

Around the Network

I am saddened that every person who isn't completely in love with Destiny is being called "just a hater"

AZWification said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AZWification said:

Destiny might be a disappointment for some, but not a critical failure! That's going waaaaaay too far.

There are definitely lower than people anticiapted. Everyone was predicting high 80s or low 90. The mid 70s very bad given the hype.

Anyhow, I'm curious to see the meta score when more reviewes have been added. The final score could go up.

I don't know.. I still think " critical failure" is way too harsh.

Critical failure basically just means scores much lower than anticipated.

A meta score in the low 80s would have simply been a disappointment. But the 70s is embarassing given Bungie's past success and this is thier next big thing. Bungie expected low scores and that's why the reviews were late.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I think Destiny is pretty bad honestly, but it doesn't seem hurt in the least by the mediocre reviews. At least there will be plenty of other things coming out, but I think for gen8 consoles it could even outsell COD this time. It has simply been astonishing on the charts. Come NPD many will be amazed. I will just be smh a bit, but maybe they will improve it.

Absolutely. Failure is a relative term. The sequel to Unearthed getting a 75 would be an amazing success. This game getting a 75 is definitely a critical failure.

And the ten year plan thing is no excuse because reviewers have to review what they have now, and because the base game in itself should be good.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

It's definitely a critical failure. It will go into video game history as one of the most over hyped average games of all time. It might even affect their integrity in how gamers view them, hence seriously questioning whether to buy their next game or not.

But you think Bungie cares about creating an average game on Hype? Hell Naw... they got their $500 million back in days after the release, so I bet the execs are all in a dark room, evil troll laughing at all of us who believed the hype.

It seems critics are quite divided on Destiny, so I think gamers will still be curious. I'm curious, and I have mine on order.

My 8th gen collection

I love how many people in this thread defend this unfinished product claiming that "it is a 10 year project, blah blah blah!" Hello? If that's the case, then lets give high rating to all the games no matter if they suck. They can just add expansions and make it better later!!! This game was an unfinished product and you bought into it and made a company millions. Thanks to you, we will have to pay for it with many other games. I for one, will not do that. i'll wait for the game to be in the recycling bin with all the expansions for $15 before I buy it.

eva01beserk said:
platformmaster918 said:

Not sequel, expansions.  Seriously how do people not get this yet?  Bungie said from the start this is a TEN YEAR PROJECT!  There won't be a sequel for a LOOOOOONG time and they will keep releasing expansions for the story and progression with new worlds to explore and new sections of the existing ones.

That is no excuse. Compare it to a real mmo like WOW. The first game on its own offered 10 times more story and good pvp, arenas and a bunch of classes and the next expansion like all, take a year to release and dont cost $35 like destiny. So its a ripoff and a disapointment. If its true that the game is incomplete and thats why tit got low scores then they should not have charged $60 for it. Each expansion on WOW is a game on its own that last a long time and its not just WOW, all other MMO's do it so destiny does not get a pass.

seems to have plenty to do without the expansions right now.  Lot's of missions, bounties, PVP, Raids, Strikes, patrols, and then the hard modes on all those other than PVP

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Soonerman said:
I love how many people in this thread defend this unfinished product claiming that "it is a 10 year project, blah blah blah!" Hello? If that's the case, then lets give high rating to all the games no matter if they suck. They can just add expansions and make it better later!!! This game was an unfinished product and you bought into it and made a company millions. Thanks to you, we will have to pay for it with many other games. I for one, will not do that. i'll wait for the game to be in the recycling bin with all the expansions for $15 before I buy it.

So can I assume then, that you never buy sequals to games?, because they are in essense, just expansions to the storyline set by the first.
And in buying the first you enabled them to set the prescedent of holding back storyline for a later game.

Thing is, you wouldn't think that about other games, but other games are specifically designed that way, bungie have been open about their plans for long term support and expansion from the get go, the game as it stands right now however, provides more gameplay and enjoyment than most games do.

Let's look for example, at Titanfall - a multiplayer game with a burn card system and thats about it, do you find issue with that?, you probably don't, or at least shouldnt, then we have destiny, that has both an online pvp system and an offline or online pve system, strikes, the ability to play through the standard story mode with other people, and various server-side-enabled events and game modes, most recently the salvage game type.

Most people playing it have put more than 10 hours in to it, which is more than a lot of games get played in their lifetime of ownership.

You can call it an unfinished product, of course, but then you have to call any game that will receive updates, dlc, or patches of any kind, in any way, shape or form, an unfinished product too.