By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So is Destiny a critical failure?

Destiny will be fine. There's still a lot of hype surrounding it and I didn't 75 was considered bad nowadays. Also, MK8 legs due to being an established and prominent franchise as well, not just because of its high reviews.

Around the Network

Destiny is a fantastic game with tons of things to unlock and lot of strike and heroin and soon raid missions but the thing is i don't even care for those missions! its the PvP that is keeping me very busy and its fun as hell, the excitement when u unlock an exotic armor is sth i never felt before and to know that armor or that new weapon will make u an even better killer just feels so good
I really don't know what people expected this game to be but thanks god i didn't fell for the hype and kept my expectations in check and the result is im enjoying the game very much at the moment and some people just cant stop whining about this game being bad lol.

Add me if u want :)

Smear-Gel said:
I am saddened that every person who isn't completely in love with Destiny is being called "just a hater"

Whenever the majority of people crapping on it haven't actually played it, there's not much designation to give those who hating on it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Some days the argument is that great and fun gameplay > everything else while other days great and fun gameplay isn't enough.

Depends on the situation I guess. High budget and hype? Nope, having fantastic gameplay means squat.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

eva01beserk said:
platformmaster918 said:
Captain_Tom said:
DarkRPGamer007 said:

With all the hype surrounding the game, many thought Destiny would be huge both in sales and from critics. But looking at gamerankings.com, which takes numerous reviews and then averages them, Destiny seems to be not doing so hot. High sales are guaranteed, but if negative press persits I don't see the game having very good legs. Look at Watch Dogs vs Mario Kart 8. Watch Dogs may have outsold it at first, but mixed reviews made it dip into a poor sales point, while Mario Kart 8 hasn't sold under 50k any week it's been out, which has been 3 months on vgchartz now. And Destiny has even lower ratings than Watch Dogs, so I believe after it's first month (if not sooner) it will take a nosedive into the point of no return.

Don't believe me? here's the ratings (http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=2014&numrev=3&sort=0&letter=&search=Destiny)

I never expected it to get amazing reviews.  It's doing slightly worse than I thought it would, but oh well... They have already profited.  I'm sure the sequel will fix any issues they have now.

Not sequel, expansions.  Seriously how do people not get this yet?  Bungie said from the start this is a TEN YEAR PROJECT!  There won't be a sequel for a LOOOOOONG time and they will keep releasing expansions for the story and progression with new worlds to explore and new sections of the existing ones.

That is no excuse. Compare it to a real mmo like WOW. The first game on its own offered 10 times more story and good pvp, arenas and a bunch of classes and the next expansion like all, take a year to release and dont cost $35 like destiny. So its a ripoff and a disapointment. If its true that the game is incomplete and thats why tit got low scores then they should not have charged $60 for it. Each expansion on WOW is a game on its own that last a long time and its not just WOW, all other MMO's do it so destiny does not get a pass.

Destiny $35 pass contains two expansions. One expansion is $20. One WoW expansion at launch is $50.

If WoW released today you would pay $50 instead of $60. Then if both had their first expansion release 6 months later you would have paid 6 months of $15/month and then $50 for the expansion. The Destiny player would have paid $60 at launch and $20 for the expansion. 

After 6 months and the first expansion purchase? WoW = $190. Destiny = $80. What about after a full year? WoW with first expansion purchase = $280. Destiny with 4 expansions = $130. Give WoW a 2nd expansion and your first year cost was $330. You can't directly compare the two at all.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Around the Network

Well from playing a few missions I felt it was somewhat repetitive and the reviews have made me more weary of purchasing the game. I think the concept of the game is what's drawing people in.

Rainbow Yoshi said:
Well from playing a few missions I felt it was somewhat repetitive and the reviews have made me more weary of purchasing the game. I think the concept of the game is what's drawing people in.

Game is much better when playing online with friends. It isn't even remotely close when playing solo.

Currently playing:

eva01beserk said:
platformmaster918 said:
Captain_Tom said:
DarkRPGamer007 said:

With all the hype surrounding the game, many thought Destiny would be huge both in sales and from critics. But looking at gamerankings.com, which takes numerous reviews and then averages them, Destiny seems to be not doing so hot. High sales are guaranteed, but if negative press persits I don't see the game having very good legs. Look at Watch Dogs vs Mario Kart 8. Watch Dogs may have outsold it at first, but mixed reviews made it dip into a poor sales point, while Mario Kart 8 hasn't sold under 50k any week it's been out, which has been 3 months on vgchartz now. And Destiny has even lower ratings than Watch Dogs, so I believe after it's first month (if not sooner) it will take a nosedive into the point of no return.

Don't believe me? here's the ratings (http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=&cat=0&year=2014&numrev=3&sort=0&letter=&search=Destiny)

I never expected it to get amazing reviews.  It's doing slightly worse than I thought it would, but oh well... They have already profited.  I'm sure the sequel will fix any issues they have now.

Not sequel, expansions.  Seriously how do people not get this yet?  Bungie said from the start this is a TEN YEAR PROJECT!  There won't be a sequel for a LOOOOOONG time and they will keep releasing expansions for the story and progression with new worlds to explore and new sections of the existing ones.

That is no excuse. Compare it to a real mmo like WOW. The first game on its own offered 10 times more story and good pvp, arenas and a bunch of classes and the next expansion like all, take a year to release and dont cost $35 like destiny. So its a ripoff and a disapointment. If its true that the game is incomplete and thats why tit got low scores then they should not have charged $60 for it. Each expansion on WOW is a game on its own that last a long time and its not just WOW, all other MMO's do it so destiny does not get a pass.

WoW is an RPG so more story is kinda expected. Most FPS campaigns only last 6-10 hours so story-wise this is about right for an FPS. There's plenty of other game modes and content to keep users busy for an MMO-FPS. They've got a decent basis from which to update and improve the game.

Plus you don't pay a subscription to play and the game doesn't have micro-transactions. With that in mind the pricing seems right so far.

Euphoria14 said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:

Game is much better when playing online with friends. It isn't even remotely close when playing solo.

I'd imagine it is. I will probably still buy it but I want a game that feels fun both with friends and playing solo, perhaps I'm being too picky!

Regardless of all of this, there are a LOT of people having an absolute blast with the game.

It reminds me of COD in that many critics would slam the hell out of them, but did the fans care? Not really.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of COD either. I like many things about Destiny, but am unimpressed on a technical level and content level. I do think that on the technical side of things, that is meaningless to success (see : COD using ancient engine for ever and ever with people not caring), and on the content side, that stuff CAN come later provided enough people are onboard.

I predict that the sales will be ridiculous for Destiny, and it will be around for a long damned time. And, it will kind of bug me a little, but I guess I'm happy people are having fun. I dislike COD, I dislike Halo, and now I am ambivalent about Destiny.