By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's your impression of the Smash Bros 3DS demo?

Tagged games:

The game feels amazing! I absolutely love the feeling of it!

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network

It's awesome... But playing as MegaMan makes me feel awkward. I don't like him that much.

Very smooth, slower then Melee though however that may be due to the game's overall approach much like how SFIV isn't as hectic as SF3 but its own thing it's not necessarily a case that's it's not as good it'll come down to preference of approach imo, when people get to try the full selection of characters and get to grips with the game the approach should come into its own.

Einsam_Delphin said:
thetonestarr said:

"The dog" is named Rush, good sir.

And my only complaints with the demo are (1) only 4 characters playable (a fifth to give matches a little more variety would've been nice), and (2) only one stage. Pretty much, the demo is just too demo-y. Only realistically worth single-player action for a max of a couple hours - after that, it's worth playing if you can get some local multi going on, but that's it.

You're complaining that a demo is too much like a demo. lolz...

Also there's 5 characters and technically two stages with the Final Destination variation of Battlefield.

Yeah, I realized there were 5 characters right after I posted, I just didn't care to fix it.

But anyways, the Omega form is hardly a different stage. It's the exact same stage without platforms. Don't get me wrong, they're a nice addition, but calling it a different stage is a cop-out.

I'm complaining because a demo is supposed to give you a good taste of what a game is like. This demo hardly gives you that. It gives you a teaser more than anything else - not enough to make a full impression of what owning the whole game is like. As an owner of all three previous Smash games, who was a serious gamer when the first came out so I've played every one to death, I feel like the demo is specifically aimed at people who have already played Smash - and that's the problem. A demo is supposed to entice new players into buying in. Old players, for the most part, are already planning on it. If it, perhaps, allowed unlocking of one more character and one more stage after a certain amount of gameplay, I'd have no complaints whatsoever!

Gameplay-wise, it's marvelous. I love the new way assists work, and the new items are wonderful.

Mechanically, it feels something in-between Melee and Brawl, and the more like Melee IMO, the better, so that's fantastic.

Graphically, I love it even more. The black border on sprites is lots of fun. I know it can be toggled on and off in the full version of the game, but I can't remember if they've said anything about it having more control than that, and personally, I'd like to make the border even thicker.

Now I guess I should give my impression of the characters:

Mario - He's alright. I've never much cared for playing as Mario - I've preferred Luigi time and again - but he has the same old "average" feel that he's always had. Carry on, Mario.

Link - Oh man. Link has always been my fighter of choice. In Brawl, I expanded my preferences a little bit since there were so many new fighters, but Link remained my favorite. There's nothing different here.

Pikachu - His Up + B is a little harder to control with the circle pad, but otherwise, he's the same powerhouse punk he always was.

MegaMan - Being a new character, I'm not as clear on how he works. His Tap + A smash attacks are a little tricky, but they seem rather effective if you can get the hang of 'em. I haven't been able to yet, though. I don't really like him yet, but I think that's mainly because I need to work with him a little more. He feels similar to other shooters - Fox most of all IMO - and I've never been that good with them.

Villager - Contender for my "favorites" list! This little guy doesn't look like much, but he packs a mighty punch. I'm impressed with how they turned him into a worthy opponent, and I'm very eager to use him more. Definitely my second-favorite of all the characters available right now.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I need a code message me one somebody and you'll gain so much

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Around the Network

please, i need a code!

I love it!!!!!!

I am at leverl 4 CPU level and don't want to increase until the game comes out. MAN I CANT WAIT TO MAIN 2 females!!! (Rosalina /palutena )

I don't have the demo, but I'm glad to hear that game is much faster than Brawl!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

thetonestarr said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
thetonestarr said:

"The dog" is named Rush, good sir.

And my only complaints with the demo are (1) only 4 characters playable (a fifth to give matches a little more variety would've been nice), and (2) only one stage. Pretty much, the demo is just too demo-y. Only realistically worth single-player action for a max of a couple hours - after that, it's worth playing if you can get some local multi going on, but that's it.

You're complaining that a demo is too much like a demo. lolz...

Also there's 5 characters and technically two stages with the Final Destination variation of Battlefield.

Yeah, I realized there were 5 characters right after I posted, I just didn't care to fix it.

But anyways, the Omega form is hardly a different stage. It's the exact same stage without platforms. Don't get me wrong, they're a nice addition, but calling it a different stage is a cop-out.

I'm complaining because a demo is supposed to give you a good taste of what a game is like. This demo hardly gives you that. It gives you a teaser more than anything else - not enough to make a full impression of what owning the whole game is like. As an owner of all three previous Smash games, who was a serious gamer when the first came out so I've played every one to death, I feel like the demo is specifically aimed at people who have already played Smash - and that's the problem. A demo is supposed to entice new players into buying in. Old players, for the most part, are already planning on it. If it, perhaps, allowed unlocking of one more character and one more stage after a certain amount of gameplay, I'd have no complaints whatsoever!

Gameplay-wise, it's marvelous. I love the new way assists work, and the new items are wonderful.

Mechanically, it feels something in-between Melee and Brawl, and the more like Melee IMO, the better, so that's fantastic.

Graphically, I love it even more. The black border on sprites is lots of fun. I know it can be toggled on and off in the full version of the game, but I can't remember if they've said anything about it having more control than that, and personally, I'd like to make the border even thicker.

Now I guess I should give my impression of the characters:

Mario - He's alright. I've never much cared for playing as Mario - I've preferred Luigi time and again - but he has the same old "average" feel that he's always had. Carry on, Mario.

Link - Oh man. Link has always been my fighter of choice. In Brawl, I expanded my preferences a little bit since there were so many new fighters, but Link remained my favorite. There's nothing different here.

Pikachu - His Up + B is a little harder to control with the circle pad, but otherwise, he's the same powerhouse punk he always was.

MegaMan - Being a new character, I'm not as clear on how he works. His Tap + A smash attacks are a little tricky, but they seem rather effective if you can get the hang of 'em. I haven't been able to yet, though. I don't really like him yet, but I think that's mainly because I need to work with him a little more. He feels similar to other shooters - Fox most of all IMO - and I've never been that good with them.

Villager - Contender for my "favorites" list! This little guy doesn't look like much, but he packs a mighty punch. I'm impressed with how they turned him into a worthy opponent, and I'm very eager to use him more. Definitely my second-favorite of all the characters available right now.

It's the final destination stage.

Every level now has a final destination form for the purists.

@OT incredibly smooth, but the controls are hard to get used to after the gamecube controller. I assume it'll be better once I can remap the buttons so they're at least reminiscent of the GC.

Started playing some more again, and was able to defeat 3 level 6 Megaman with my own!

His dash and strong down attacks are really fast and good openers. His dash attack seems to have priority until he finishes his tornado spin.

His smash up can bring people diagonally close to him into the top and get attacked. This is one of my main ways of KO'ing opponents. Great when two or more people are close to you in the small platforms in battlefield. Not a great opening move, but maybe if you know they're running into you.

His down smash attack is also great to KO opponents at the side of you. I often used this to KO foes as well. Same as Smash Up though. Not a great opening move unless you an predict players running into you and you time it right. Great when surrounded by people.

His side smash can be powerful if you charge it. Its range is severely limited when its isn't charge. Therefore its pretty hard to use as a KO move when your opponent is close by. Of course its easier to use with 4 players when they're distracted

Up air attack shoots one tornado up carrying opponents to the top of the screen and can KO them. Depends on their percentage. With timing, you can do a quick mini height jump and use it, but generally they get carried off the stage when they're already 60-70% over the stage. You can spam this when an opponent breaks out of the tornado since the tornado goes up for a long time but can be reused immediately once it leaves the stage or an opponent is freed from it.

His B attack is throwing one metal blade precisely vertical. Has to decent to slow speed but cannot be used immediately after hitting an opponent or disappearing. Because of its slowness and annoying cool down, I didn't us it often, so I don't remember its range, or ability to go through one or more characters. And I can't remember the percentage it dealt cause I forgot to look at the bottom screen afterwards lol

His down air attack is also great for when your right above foe or foes as it seems to have a small area of effect but great knock back. Megaman fire a decently fast cube like projectile right below him in this attack. Area of effect can cover three Megaman standing side by side if you hit the middle one. I may have KO someone when they were at the leftmost of the battlefield stage thanks to its knock back. The projectile that does damage has limited range and will disappear. This makes the timing for meteor smash difficult because this attack actually slams the opponent down if used right above them. If they're on a platform, they ricochet off the platform due to its large knock back.

His forward-horizontal air attack is him slashing a fire claw in the air. Speed seems almost as fast as MetaKnight's forward air but isn't a multi hit. However, Megaman's horizontally-backward air attack is a two hit slash attack that is almost the same as Metaknight. These moves are great opening moves because of its speed and forward air's large vertical hitbox. However, I couldn't KO anyone with it due to its weak knockback.

Megaman's backward throw is weaker than Mario's back air but feels pretty strong as well. I also love how he carry opponent's with one hand up like he's lifting some weights yet posing at the same time.