By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox One Is Going To Be Just Fine. Playstation 4 Will Not Dominate The Market In The Long Run.

i hope so.

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
PotentHerbs said:
It can still get curb stomped & make a decent profit..

Just like Xb360, oh wait...

Wait didn't the X360 make a profit over it's lifetime?

Not a huge profit and it was only 20 mil behind the Wii. RROD and the Xbox took care of those profits lickity split.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

The whole problem with this silly catch up thing. Is that alone, its not enough for the XB1 to sell more. These "predictions" often involve the PS4 selling less.
For example:
With your 32 million XB1, 34 million PS4 by 2016 reasoning why would PS4 only sell 24 million over 2.5 years and the XB1 sell 27 million over the same time period. Why would XB1 suddenly become sell much better and PS4 sell much lower.
Realistically, if the Market Leader drops, that's a sign of the overall sales dropping. Even if the PS4 stops selling that doesn't mean the XB1 will sell more, you said after all gamers have a choice.
Even the last gen which was by all counts the most fair, never had the Wii really declining till the end of its short life time.

The writings on the wall, the quicker you accept it, the faster you can stop worrying about you're console of choices sales, and be more concerned with its Games.

And I realize this is a sales site, but that doesn't mean speculation and flights of fancy make good sales predictions.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

The whole problem with this silly catch up thing. Is that alone, its not enough for the XB1 to sell more. These "predictions" often involve the PS4 selling less.
For example:
With your 32 million XB1, 34 million PS4 by 2016 reasoning why would PS4 only sell 24 million over 2.5 years and the XB1 sell 27 million over the same time period. Why would XB1 suddenly become sell much better and PS4 sell much lower.
Realistically, if the Market Leader drops, that's a sign of the overall sales dropping. Even if the PS4 stops selling that doesn't mean the XB1 will sell more, you said after all gamers have a choice.
Even the last gen which was by all counts the most fair, never had the Wii really declining till the end of its short life time.

The writings on the wall, the quicker you accept it, the faster you can stop worrying about you're console of choices sales, and be more concerned with its Games.

And I realize this is a sales site, but that doesn't mean speculation and flights of fancy make good sales predictions.

Thats a good point about if as the leading console sonys baseline sales drop that usually is a good indicator the whole industry including microsoft and nintendo are gonna slump as well.  For example if in america a democratic president's high approval ratings go down, but so do republicans in congress, its more a pox on all their houses so to speak, as a opposed to the presidents numbers going down and republicans in congress's numbers going up.

estebxx said:
ikki5 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
ikki5 said:
It'll dominate for a few years probably and then die down to average numbers and the others will catch up a bit but overall, they will have a much higher number.

Interesting. So you're expecting a PS console to have the worst legs?

It usually how it rolls, the console that has the best starting off, usually dies a little quicker than the others but will still stay ahead.

Then what about the PS1 and PS2? HECK the PS2 just finally went out of production last year, and the last game released for it was FIFA 14... it got PERSONA 4 in 2008/9 (one of the best JRPGs ever) when the PS3 was already out on the market for 2 years... and the PS2 was still getting exclusives...

and how much was the PS2 selling in those last years? Jut for a reference point, it was at 100 million in 2005 and only sold 55 million in 7 years to the ends of it's production. So yeah, it sold more than 2/3rds of it's sales in less than half of it's life time.

Around the Network
ikki5 said:
estebxx said:
ikki5 said:
DucksUnlimited said:
ikki5 said:
It'll dominate for a few years probably and then die down to average numbers and the others will catch up a bit but overall, they will have a much higher number.

Interesting. So you're expecting a PS console to have the worst legs?

It usually how it rolls, the console that has the best starting off, usually dies a little quicker than the others but will still stay ahead.

Then what about the PS1 and PS2? HECK the PS2 just finally went out of production last year, and the last game released for it was FIFA 14... it got PERSONA 4 in 2008/9 (one of the best JRPGs ever) when the PS3 was already out on the market for 2 years... and the PS2 was still getting exclusives...

and how much was the PS2 selling in those last years? Jut for a reference point, it was at 100 million in 2005 and only sold 55 million in 7 years to the ends of it's production. So yeah, it sold more than 2/3rds of it's sales in less than half of it's life time.

so? it still proves my point and disproves yours... and what about the PS1 AND PS3? they both kept getting games way after the gen ended...

All PS consoles have been supported way after their respective gens have ended be it the MARKET LEADER ones (PS1, PS2) or the second place one (PS3)...

EDIT: im NOT talking about how many sales it got after the gen ended, i am talking about how many GAMES and SUPPORT it kept getting after the gen ended.

ALSO even just talking about sales what you say doesnt makes sense, you claim that the market leader will "dominate for a few years probably and then die down to average numbers and the others will catch up a bit", yet you just said that the PS2 sold 33% of all of its consoles AFTER the gen ended... HOW is that diyng off quickly? and did the others (Gamecube and Xbox) ever catched up to the PS2? no and they never will, they dont even come close....

just for clarification YES when a new gen starts all of the last gen cosole sales do decrease in pace (including the market leader) but in SONYS case every single Sony console (market leader or not) has had the BEST legs of its generation and has gotten games years after the gen ended, and has gotten constant sales after the gen ended...

Heck look at the PS3 this week it outsold the Wii U world wide!, a 9 year old 7th gen console competing with a 8th gen console....

This guy!

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

CGI-Quality said:
Jega said:
Zanten said:

Okay, let's try this. Domination is a pretty... Vague term. 2:1 ratio is pretty dominant, but not as dominant as, say, the PS2 was. So, end of generation, what do you think the global gap between the two will be? What, for you, would dominance be?

If ps4 is the leader at the end of the generation, I see no more than a 10 million gap between the Ps4 and Xbox One.

.....and I consider a 20 million lead dominating not a 10 million lead.

And you continue to avoid any explanation of how you expect this. It's already a 5 million unit gap. How will this happen? In what regions? With what price point/game(s)/strategies?

Here are some of my reasons, like I said I stated them before, in this thread and this one:http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=189097&page=1

Zanten said:
Jega said:
Zanten said:

Okay, let's try this. Domination is a pretty... Vague term. 2:1 ratio is pretty dominant, but not as dominant as, say, the PS2 was. So, end of generation, what do you think the global gap between the two will be? What, for you, would dominance be?

If ps4 is the leader at the end of the generation, I see no more than a 10 million gap between the Ps4 and Xbox One.

.....and I consider a 20 million lead dominating not a 10 million lead.

But what if the Xbox One sells, say, a hundred million, and the PS4 a hundred and twenty? Are you saying that would be more dominant than if the Xbox One sold five million, and the PS4 sold twenty? The larger the install bases get, the less the 'gap' matters, which is why the current numbers are pretty worrisome for Microsoft. They're not just concerned that 'Oh, Sony sold five million more than us.' They're concerned that 'Shit, Sony's selling them twice as fast as us.'

But let's assume that the lower-end console, in this scenario the Xbox One, sells the same as the Xbox 360, 80 million. To reach that 20 million gap, the PS4 only has to outsell it by a ratio of 1.25:1, which is WAY lower than it's been outselling it since launch. So even if at the end of the generation, the Xbox 360 sells 80 million consoles, and the PS4 sells 100 million, then we can say it's dominating, even though it's technically outsold the Xbox One much, much slower than it has this year?

It also brings us back to the last thread you made. When you theorized that the reason the PS4 was selling more was because PS3 owners were more bored with their seventh gen consoles, and Xbox 360 owners were more satisfied. Kind of figure that's why you expect the Xbox One to catch up, you think all the Xbox owners are just so darned happy with their 360s, and all the PS3 owners are desperate for something new. Before I start picking at that, I'd just like to ask if that is still your position, or if you've since changed your mind about that.

I still hold that position, here is the thread I said that in for a quick reference: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=189097&page=1

Jega said:
CGI-Quality said:

And you continue to avoid any explanation of how you expect this. It's already a 5 million unit gap. How will this happen? In what regions? With what price point/game(s)/strategies?

Here are some of my reasons, like I said I stated them before, in this thread and this one:http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=189097&page=1

Care for a bet?