By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August 2014 NPD Thread! PS4 - 190k, XBO - 160k, Wii U < 60k, PSV < 6k

Well! Might as well make a summary for any thread newcomers of the lessons thus learned.

1) When making these comparisons, ignore all extrenuous, non-unit-numbery information. Release dates, advantages over competitors, lineup composition, outstanding features, market composition, all of those are useless bits of fluff to be ignored without hesitation. Absolutely nothing about the nature of the markets, the circumstances surrounding each product, should be taken into account, as any differences in terms of market size, marketshare split, launch advantages, all are completely meaningless to this discussion. Only. Pure. Sales. Numbers.

2) Except how many markets it's been released in, that we pay attention to, because it is vastly more important than all those other extrenuous circumstances put together, because reasons. But nothing else!

3) As it has been established that the PS2 is the leading man, it is irrelevent that the console is doing substantially better than its predecessor, (and even its direct competitor's predecessor,) and even doing well against the previous generation market leader (a fair chunk of whose market has since moved on to Candy Crush Saga,) as the fact that it has been unable to (technically speaking, because refer to Part 2,) outpace the PS2, (which had a number of other factors in its favor, but see Part 1,) makes it a solid disappointment.

4) Technically the fact that the PS2 is, literally, the top dog in market history means every console ever released a solid disappointment, including those that came before it, but it is particularly troubling that the PS4 is one for reasons. I mean, to be fair, unless the PS4 only hits about 66 million this generation, it can pretty much be agreed that the Wii was a bigger comparative disappointment against the PS2 than the PS4 would be against the Wii, meaning that, comparitively speaking, as market leader the PS4 underperformed LESS compared to its immediate predecessor than the Wii did. BUT! This doesn't matter. For reasons.

5) The underperforming is, clearly, Sony's responsibility, and therefore Sony must do something about it. This something presumably is 'Make More People Want To Buy Consoles In General,' as at this point it isn't like the Wii U or the Xbox One are gobbling up many consumers themselves. Personally I think the PC Master Race is storming the beaches and seeking to destroy the console heathens once and for all, but what do I know? Regardless, Sony must begin handing out free cupcakes (and hookers, where law permits, and quickly before Microsoft resorts to it first) to ensure that more people buy consoles in general.

6) Watch the television series Hannibal. No, it doesn't have anything to do with this topic, DO IT ANYWAY. You'll thank me riiight around the time a guy eats part of his own face.

Am I missing anything? o.o

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
thismeintiel said:
Soundwave said:

One of those two is a monster but PS4 (outside of having much higher inventory for launch) isn't it. 

BWAHAHA!  So, you're telling me that if the PS4 comes out ahead of the Wii this year (2014 vs 2007), you're just going to find some excuse to downplay it?  I find that pretty sad.

I suggest you actually look at the 2007 vs 2014 numbers and do the math in your head again. 

Sorry, meant including launch, as well.

thismeintiel said:

You and soundwave should really stop.  You're just making yourself look ridiculous.  You're shifting this way and that to downplay the PS4's success.  YOU made up some fake 250K that a console has to sell, not the industry.  NO ONE but you.  And here's a fact, the 360 couldn't pull off a consistent 250K+ in the US, either.  But guess what?  IT WON THE US!  Just stop while you're behind.

Yet the only reason why the xbox 360 won America was because Sony had initially screwed up with the PS3 making Microsoft invite themselves to a good chunk of the North American market and the fact that Nintendo made a fatal move by giving the WII lackluster software support in it's near end of it's life cycle.

Why is the PS4 the only one having so much issues meeting the minimum of 250K when PS2 and WII easily cleared that mark ? Why don't you explain that for once ?

FYI I'm not downplaying the PS4's success. Infact I am congratulating it while remaining critical but I don't know how soundwave feels on this matter ...

Soundwave said:
thismeintiel said:
fatslob-:O said:

Yet it can't even consistently meet a monthly minimum of 250K in North America ... 

You and soundwave should really stop.  You're just making yourself look ridiculous.  You're shifting this way and that to downplay the PS4's success.  YOU made up some fake 250K that a console has to sell, not the industry.  NO ONE but you.  And here's a fact, the 360 couldn't pull off a consistent 250K+ in the US, either.  But guess what?  IT WON THE US!  Just stop while you're behind.

Since when is this thread the arbiter of PS4's overall success? Last I checked this is a thread for AUGUST NPD NUMBERS. 

And we are making comments based on that not the PS4's overall LTD performance. Sheesh. 

Deep a deep breath. Someone said something bad about Sony, deep breath, deep breath, it's going to be ok. The sun will rise again tomorrow. 

Try not to take every piece of discussion specific to a time period as some kind of personal attack. Put down the corporate pom-poms, you're not a cheerleader. 

So, wait...were they right when they said you were basing this on one month or were they wrong?  Cause I thought you said you were basing this on multiple months.  LOL, like I said you and fatslob are all over the place trying to prove your point.  The fact is, the PS4 is doing awesome, but you'll find any specific little bit of data to downplay it.  But, when people show you the large picture, you're putting your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes.

thismeintiel said:

Yet the only reason why the xbox 360 won America was because Sony had initially screwed up with the PS3 making Microsoft invite themselves to a good chunk of the North American market and the fact that Nintendo made a fatal move by giving the WII lackluster software support in it's near end of it's life cycle.

Why is the PS4 the only one having so much issues meeting the minimum of 250K when PS2 and WII easily cleared that mark ? Why don't you explain that for once ?

Destiny White PS4.  It will murder.  PS4 is cannibalizing itself and still winning the months.  White PS4  sold more on Amazon in June, July and August than Xbox.  White PS4 has been cannibalizing PS4 since E3.  All this other mindless banter is drivel. 

Around the Network

Vena said:

I work with statistics and raw experimental data, I never give 100% unless its the latter where I have physical things to present. I give estimations, predictions, and formulae from which conclusions can be drawn and then verified experimentally.

You're not really proving anything at the moment other than the fact that the PS4 launched strong while the Wii performed more consistently... which is their point, actually. They are saying, very specifically, that the strong launch and subsequent inconsistent and sliding month-to-month sales (barring out outlier and Destiny outlier next month) are a very, very bad sign of a front, loaded console that is not actually doing as well as people think it is doing... This is literally impossible to deny as its very much in the numbers you posted.

Trajectories paint a good picture. Trajectories can also be wrong... but then normally that isn't the case because a trajectory exists for a reason.

Your own data is especially damning if you compare 2007/2014 only.

Sales don't like that at all... you have a potential consumers userbase for determined price point... so if your potential userbase at $400 is 15 million then more you sell in the first months and get close to that will result in less sales in the next months... the opposite happens too when less you sell in the first months give you more room to sell in the next months.

Said that you can have two types of products that reach the final lifetime numbers.

1) Front-loaded that means it sell more in the first month but get a avg. low numbers in the next months to reach 10m
2) More constant that menas it sell more constantly month after month until reach these same 10m

Translating to the PS4 and Wii cases.

PS4 is font-loaded and sold a a lot in the first two months and after sold a low avg sales to reach 10m
Wii is constant and sold a high avg every month to reach the same 10m

What could happened if PS4 was not front-loaded? Probabilly it will sell high in the month avg.
What could happened if Wii was font-loaded? Probabilly it will sell low in the month avg.

But at the end both reached the potential consumers related to that price point.

The issue is that the Wii had a price way lower than PS4... so Wii had a lot more potential consumers to this price point while PS4 not... but that create another point PS4 have more room of price points to attrack more consumers than Wii had and everytime you deal with you price point or cut it the potential consumers will increase a lot and the sales will go up too making the month avg. high again.

There is no brainner here.

PS4 can sell on pair or better than Wii in the Holiday... it can sell on par or better than Wii in 2015... it can lack in avg. montly sales compared with Wii but compensate in some key releases months... it can get on fire in sales when reach $300, $200, price point to make it sell monthly avg. way better than Wii did after it 4th/5th year.

Who knows? I know Wii sales won't change but the PS4 can happen anything.

For exemple... I don't tink PS4 will be lack in sales this Holidays compared with Wii if Sony bundled GTAV... it will sell PS4 like hotcakes... so if that happen what will be your escuse? Ohhhhhh PS4 underperformande month after month in 2014 but at the end of year it showed true strength and I didn't expected that.

Say PS4 is underperforming in monthly sales is silly and misleading because it is still performing on pair or even better with the three best selling console already created.

Just gonna leave this right here.

The bounds are fuzzy, but August is still Pre-Pre-Holidays Droughtish.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

omg look at all thise fuss about sales, its politics!!!

thismeintiel said:

FYI I'm not downplaying the PS4's success. Infact I am congratulating it while remaining critical but I don't know how soundwave feels on this matter ...

Wait, we're discussing Summer 2001 here, right? I mean, these are NPD numbers we're comparing, so it must be Summer 2001, yes?

Because if it is, I have a GREAT reason. =P

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Sony HQ after ANOTHER UNDERPERFORMING MONTH.