By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - August 2014 NPD Thread! PS4 - 190k, XBO - 160k, Wii U < 60k, PSV < 6k

Guys. Just take a look. Now we arguing if the best console of this generation is underperforming. Others are in total thrash bin. And still here are people who sure that console games market isn't shrank this generation?

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
ethomaz said:
Soundwave said:The 360 was not the market leader, that would be the Wii. Why don't you put the Wii's first year up next to the PS4?

Better?

Wii                              PS4
Nov. 2006 ~ 476k        Nov. 2013 ~ 1.14M
Dec. 2006 ~ 604k        Dec. 2013 ~ 863K
Jan. 2007 ~ 436k        Jan. 2014 ~ 271K
Feb. 2007 ~ 335k        Feb. 2014 ~ 285K  
Mar. 2007 ~ 259k        Mar. 2014 ~ 371K
Apr. 2007 ~ 360k        Apr. 2014 ~ 199K
May 2007 ~ 338k        May 2014 ~ 197K
Jun. 2007 ~ 381k       Jun. 2014 ~ 269K  
Jul. 2007 ~ 425k        Jul. 2014 ~ 187K
Aug. 2007 ~ 403k       Aug. 2014 ~ 190K

Wii: ~4m
PS4: ~4m

Wii is right now ~30k ahead but it will be below PS4 again next month because Destiny will make PS4 do more than 500k.

PS4 is a monster... I know.

One of those two is a monster but PS4 (outside of having much higher inventory for launch) isn't it. 

BWAHAHA!  So, you're telling me that if the PS4 comes out ahead of the Wii this year (2014 vs 2007), you're just going to find some excuse to downplay it?  I find that pretty sad.

ethomaz said:

Because the console launched? It happened to sell at launch... it was not a ilusion.

Nice try on ignoring the PS4's inconsistent performance ... 

Deny it all you like but the fact that the PS4 has trouble hitting over 250K in an important market consistently just means that this aspect goes unchallenged ...

Vena said:

The Wii was definitely a monster alright, but the statistics of the decline for the PS4 are not easy to ignore. In fact, if you gave this to a statistician they'd tell you that a bridge is on fire. Its consistent and visible, and you can see that even the front-loaded sales were overcome by the Wii within a few months AND it maintained a much stronger baseline. The Destiny blimp is nothing more than exactly that, a blip.

In fact, since we want to look at this statistically long-term, then the trend would very, very much devalue that huge launch spike and make the PS4 curve project much, much worse than the Wii's almost flat line. The trajectories of these consoles are, given current data, not even remotely similar. In fact, every console this gen has a trajectory right into a shrinking market. (Not to mention that the PS4 has utterly failed in Japan...)

Odd day for me to be on Soundwave's side of the fence but the statistics are impossible to ignore for someone who works with statistics.

So you are giving me 100% certain PS4 will sell below Wii in it first holiday after launch? Well it can happen and can be more likely than the opposite but this didn't make sure it will happen.

When happen then we can talk about how PS4 lacked behing Wii.

I'm showing facts proving with numbers them... you guys says it will underperforming because guesses that it will sell less than Wii.

You know... everything can happen like a price cut of bundle deal this holidays for PS4 ;)

thismeintiel said:
Soundwave said:
ethomaz said:
Soundwave said:The 360 was not the market leader, that would be the Wii. Why don't you put the Wii's first year up next to the PS4?

Better?

Wii                              PS4
Nov. 2006 ~ 476k        Nov. 2013 ~ 1.14M
Dec. 2006 ~ 604k        Dec. 2013 ~ 863K
Jan. 2007 ~ 436k        Jan. 2014 ~ 271K
Feb. 2007 ~ 335k        Feb. 2014 ~ 285K  
Mar. 2007 ~ 259k        Mar. 2014 ~ 371K
Apr. 2007 ~ 360k        Apr. 2014 ~ 199K
May 2007 ~ 338k        May 2014 ~ 197K
Jun. 2007 ~ 381k       Jun. 2014 ~ 269K  
Jul. 2007 ~ 425k        Jul. 2014 ~ 187K
Aug. 2007 ~ 403k       Aug. 2014 ~ 190K

Wii: ~4m
PS4: ~4m

Wii is right now ~30k ahead but it will be below PS4 again next month because Destiny will make PS4 do more than 500k.

PS4 is a monster... I know.

One of those two is a monster but PS4 (outside of having much higher inventory for launch) isn't it. 

BWAHAHA!  So, you're telling me that if the PS4 comes out ahead of the Wii this year (2014 vs 2007), you're just going to find some excuse to downplay it?  I find that pretty sad.

I suggest you actually look at the 2007 vs 2014 numbers and do the math in your head again. 

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

So you are giving me 100% certain PS4 will sell below Wii in it first holiday after launch? Well it can happen and can be more likely than the opposite but this didn't make sure it will happen.

When happen then we can talk about how PS4 lacked behing Wii.

I'm showing facts proving with numbers them... you guys says it will underperforming because guesses that it will sell less than Wii.

I work with statistics and raw experimental data, I never give 100% unless its the latter where I have physical things to present. I give estimations, predictions, and formulae from which conclusions can be drawn and then verified experimentally.

You're not really proving anything at the moment other than the fact that the PS4 launched strong while the Wii performed more consistently... which is their point, actually. They are saying, very specifically, that the strong launch and subsequent inconsistent and sliding month-to-month sales (barring out outlier and Destiny outlier next month) are a very, very bad sign of a front, loaded console that is not actually doing as well as people think it is doing... This is literally impossible to deny as its very much in the numbers you posted.

Trajectories paint a good picture. Trajectories can also be wrong... but then normally that isn't the case because a trajectory exists for a reason.

Your own data is especially damning if you compare 2007/2014 only.

fatslob-:O said:
ethomaz said:

Fact.

PS4 is yet the fastest selling console in the history... it will be lack behind Wii soon but for now it is overperforming.

Yet it can't even consistently meet a monthly minimum of 250K in North America ... 

You and soundwave should really stop.  You're just making yourself look ridiculous.  You're shifting this way and that to downplay the PS4's success.  YOU made up some fake 250K that a console has to sell, not the industry.  NO ONE but you.  And here's a fact, the 360 couldn't pull off a consistent 250K+ in the US, either.  But guess what?  IT WON THE US!  Just stop while you're behind.

Seems like the 3DS did less than 100,000.

Vena said:

I work with statistics and raw experimental data, I never give 100% unless its the latter where I have physical things to present. I give estimations, predictions, and formulae from which conclusions can be drawn and then verified experimentally.

You're not really proving anything at the moment other than the fact that the PS4 launched strong while the Wii performed more consistently... which is their point, actually. They are saying, very specifically, that the strong launch and subsequent inconsistent and sliding month-to-month sales (barring out outlier and Destiny outlier next month) are a very, very bad sign of a front, loaded console that is not actually doing as well as people think it is doing... This is literally impossible to deny as its very much in the numbers you posted.

Trajectories do not paint a good picture. Trajectories can also be wrong... but then normally that isn't the case because a trajectory exists for a reason.

Your own data is especially damning if you compare 2007/2014 only.

+1000 

This is exactly what Soundwave and I was trying to bring up ... 

thismeintiel said:
fatslob-:O said:
ethomaz said:

Fact.

PS4 is yet the fastest selling console in the history... it will be lack behind Wii soon but for now it is overperforming.

Yet it can't even consistently meet a monthly minimum of 250K in North America ... 

You and soundwave should really stop.  You're just making yourself look ridiculous.  You're shifting this way and that to downplay the PS4's success.  YOU made up some fake 250K that a console has to sell, not the industry.  NO ONE but you.  And here's a fact, the 360 couldn't pull off a consistent 250K+ in the US, either.  But guess what?  IT WON THE US!  Just stop while you're behind.

Since when is this thread the arbiter of PS4's overall success? Last I checked this is a thread for AUGUST NPD NUMBERS. 

And we are making comments based on that not the PS4's overall LTD performance. Sheesh. 

Deep a deep breath. Someone said something bad about Sony, deep breath, deep breath, it's going to be ok. The sun will rise again tomorrow. 

Try not to take every piece of discussion specific to a time period as some kind of personal attack. Put down the corporate pom-poms, you're not a cheerleader.