By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anybody actually care about these VR headsets?

Nicklesbe said:
curl-6 said:
So basically "zomg anybody who doesnt like it is salty!!1"

Bit defensive.

Not really no. Most people that don't like it simply don't care. Those that use bassless attacks against it and try to discredit it on the other hand likely have ulterior motives, otherwise why bother? It's not defensiveness but simple observation. If someone truly loves games for the sake of games then there really no reason they shouldn't have some interest in something that stretches the horizons of gaming.

Well, that doesn't make sense. Are you saying that anyone that ever brings up a reason for disliking something has an ulterior motive? And if you don't like something and you want people to know, you just say, "I simply don't care"? If you did say that, people would ask why. You have to give reasons for disliking something. If you don't, THAT'S when you sound like someone with an ulterior motive.

Anyway, I don't find VR even remotely interesting. Maybe I will in the future, but right now, I really don't want to have to strap something onto my face to play a game (I also have glasses). And before you say, "that's stupid. Why do you care about what other people think of you?", let me say that I don't care. It's not a looks thing. I just don't want something attached to my head in order to play a video game.

Edit - Stop saying "salty".

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network
Nicklesbe said:
curl-6 said:
So basically "zomg anybody who doesnt like it is salty!!1"

Bit defensive.

Not really no. Most people that don't like it simply don't care. Those that use bassless attacks against it and try to discredit it on the other hand likely have ulterior motives, otherwise why bother? It's not defensiveness but simple observation. If someone truly loves games for the sake of games then there really no reason they shouldn't have some interest in something that stretches the horizons of gaming.

VR headsets are not a new concept. I've tried several over the years at tech exhibitions and such. The discomfort and intrusiveness outweighs the benefits for me.

If Nintendo came out tomorrow and said they were making one too, I would not change my mind.

It seems like it might be cool for FPS games, but if it is a hit everything will have FP view shoehorned in. People were excited about the possibility of FP Uncharted, a third person game being in the FP view. For me I would try it if they can keep the cost below $100.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

crissindahouse said:

And I also absolutely don't care about the "but you will look stupid with it on your head" argument. Not only do I not care about how I look for others in my home since those who will see me here will simply accept it (family or friends) but I would also use it mostly alone. People at Gamescom and so on didn't care about how they look in front of many people and some are scared about how they look at home? They take this "I have to look good all the time" way too serious...

yea, I don't get that mindset either

must be really stressful to always feel you are harshly judged by everyone including family and friends

Nicklesbe said:
ikki5 said:

Lol, wow, where do I begin, First off, the whole VR thing, people have been saying this since before the PS4 was even announced and it was going to be a PC thing so i doubt that is the reason. It just hasn't been until the last year or two that it has been such a talked about thing mainly because it is now coming into a reality that it is potentially getting close. But no, it is not because it is being released on X device, it is has always been attacked because seriously, a lot of people look at it and think that they would look stupid with a piece of plasting with a screen in it on your face would look dumb and I am in that group. it has nothing to do with what system or anything. To be honest, I never even knew the PS4 was getting a VR device until you just mentioned it because I never cared enough to take note about it. Which this actually makes me laugh because one thing I have noticed is that people who are PS4 fans seem to think that everyone is jeouse of them. Now I could be wrong about that but that is just what I have observed But sorry, that is not the same, some maybe, but most aren't. Just because the VR comes to the PS4 and not the Xbox (not going to say MS because that is wrong) or nintendo is just stupid when 95% at least in the main three regions have access to a computer so if they wanted to use VR, then they could. Now here, really if people want something, they will find a way to get it even if it is down the road. So again, I highly doubt it is the platform it is going to, I am pretty sure it is more the self image you will have while using the device.

ok so short story is you don't like it because you care more about how you look in most likely private more than gaming experiance? Why should I take your opinion seriously? If you are that shallow and you care that little for actual gaming then I'm sorry but your opinion doesn't really matter to me, and you complaining about really doesn't change the fact that you are salty about it. Instead of being salty because of jelousy > love of games, you are salty because your vanity > love of games which is still saltyness none the less.

Would you care if you were obscenely fat, would you go to a beach without thinking about yourself at all, or had a massive scar going down your face, or if you were born with a birth defect on you that was obviously seen or even had to wear some weird thing on your face for some medical purpose and out and about in the public? I think so. You might live in some rabbit hole and don't see or meet people but most people do live around people. People care about self image, people don't want to be judged by others. That's why we try not to do stpid things or look foolish around other people. like, just imagine trying to play with a bunch of friends all wearing some device on your face so you can't even see them or look into your eyes. Like, that is ujust stupid and the live of someone who wants to spend their time alone and away from people. You may think i am salty because of this but I would rather be social, not be judged by others and not be living in a psuedo irtual world.

Around the Network
CDiablo said:
It seems like it might be cool for FPS games, but if it is a hit everything will have FP view shoehorned. People were excited about the possibility of FP Uncharted, a third person game being in the FP view. For me I would try it if they can keep the cost below $100.

Mirror's Edge is a third person game done in FP, mixed results on that one though it was fun.

Just Google Cardboard that shit :D https://cardboard.withgoogle.com/

not right now.

lets see how they do in 3 - 5 years

ikki5 said:

Would you care if you were obscenely fat, would you go to a beach without thinking about yourself at all, or had a massive scar going down your face, or if you were born with a birth defect on you that was obviously seen or even had to wear some weird thing on your face for some medical purpose and out and about in the public? I think so. You might live in some rabbit hole and don't see or meet people but most people do live around people. People care about self image, people don't want to be judged by others. That's why we try not to do stpid things or look foolish around other people. like, just imagine trying to play with a bunch of friends all wearing some device on your face so you can't even see them or look into your eyes. Like, that is ujust stupid and the live of someone who wants to spend their time alone and away from people. You may think i am salty because of this but I would rather be social, not be judged by others and not be living in a psuedo irtual world.

I don't live in some "rabbit hole" I do live with others. Unlike you I actually have confidence in how I look. I know I look good, and I know I will look good in just about anything, however I am also developed and experianced enough as person to know that looks really don't matter. Perhaps that is your problem? Perhaps you are so self conscious because you have no confidence in how you look? You seem to be someone that is not only quite self obsorbed but also quite sheltered. So I'm going to let you in a little secret. In the real world, no one really gives a shit what you look like.  Just because you are shallow and judge everyone you see doesn't mean everyone who sees you judges you. In reality most people don't give a fuck. Trust me I'm close to 30 and have been rockin a mohawk since I was 16. The only person who ever gives me any shit on how I look is my girlfriend, and that's usually when I just throw on a messy shirt. Otherwise no one gives a damn. 

You can still be social and have fun with games. I would highly suggest you work on your self confidence and tone down the vanity, and maybe even do some work on developing a personality that doesn't revolve around shallowness and try to achieve some sort of deeper understanding.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

if I can touch anime gils.. then yes!

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Me and my friends were talking about how they should make an anime game for it.
Where you see the characters in first person . Lol
And how you be a part of the story.

Too early i guess =D

Pocky Lover Boy!