By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anybody actually care about these VR headsets?

Yes I am excited for them. And I think anyone that isn't has probably never tried it or maybe simply just lacks imagination.

I also think to completely write something off that has not been at least tried is the literal definition of being closed minded.

I admit it has a few hurdles, things that it needs to get right to make it viable, but I feel that if it does get those things right, it stands to change the way we play some particular game genres. Platformers and TPS would be unaffected; but what it will do for FPS, racing games, flight sims... basically anything that offers immersion through being in first person will be changed forever.

And thats a fact. If a game could be better cause you are in first person, you can see a cockpit...etc, then those games will be naturally made much better if you have a VR headset. It makes as much sense as having two analog sticks on a controller and thats why I don't think it will be a fad.

Around the Network

If I can get immersed in them like what happens in certain anime, sure.

However, I doubt that technology will ever allow this.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

I really don't care about them.. :S

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

It'll die out just like how Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and DDR did.

ikki5 said:

They should just skip the VR for gaming, it looks dumb and ho wants to wear a piece of plastic on your face. What they should do is just invent Holodecks and skip over the VR. :P

Nicklesbe said:
it's going to be great and will have a lot of applications outside of just gaming. Those that hate on it always come off as jealous or salty. It's a good step forward from past vr. It may never be the main form of gaming but I'm sure it will have a really good and entertaining library of games. I just hope Bethesda gets on board and makes a working version of their next fallout/Elder scrolls for it.

How does Jealousy come into this? The only way I can see someone being jealous of this is if they wanted to invent it and someone else achieved it first thus making them jealous or if when it does come out, someone has it and can get it but they can't. But we are not to that stage yet so....

Jealousy comes into it because PC and Ps4 are getting VR while Nintendo and MS aren't. it's as simple as that. Same reason they hate on indies. They don't really care about gaming or understand what will actually be good for gaming instead they just lash out and attack something because they can't afford all the consoles/devices and are desperate to justify their purchase. So they baseless attack and try to discredit anything that brings their competitors great success. If someone doesn't like it then they probably don't care enough about it to even comment. However those that do attack it are obviously threatened by it which shows jealousy and saltiness. Most gamers on some level also want to be devs as well, especially many adult gamers so the fact that they weren't able to make it probably factors into it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Around the Network

So basically "zomg anybody who doesnt like it is salty!!1"

Bit defensive.

Nicklesbe said:
ikki5 said:

They should just skip the VR for gaming, it looks dumb and ho wants to wear a piece of plastic on your face. What they should do is just invent Holodecks and skip over the VR. :P

Nicklesbe said:
it's going to be great and will have a lot of applications outside of just gaming. Those that hate on it always come off as jealous or salty. It's a good step forward from past vr. It may never be the main form of gaming but I'm sure it will have a really good and entertaining library of games. I just hope Bethesda gets on board and makes a working version of their next fallout/Elder scrolls for it.

How does Jealousy come into this? The only way I can see someone being jealous of this is if they wanted to invent it and someone else achieved it first thus making them jealous or if when it does come out, someone has it and can get it but they can't. But we are not to that stage yet so....

Jealousy comes into it because PC and Ps4 are getting VR while Nintendo and MS aren't. it's as simple as that. Same reason they hate on indies. They don't really care about gaming or understand what will actually be good for gaming instead they just lash out and attack something because they can't afford all the consoles/devices and are desperate to justify their purchase. So they baseless attack and try to discredit anything that brings their competitors great success. If someone doesn't like it then they probably don't care enough about it to even comment. However those that do attack it are obviously threatened by it which shows jealousy and saltiness. Most gamers on some level also want to be devs as well, especially many adult gamers so the fact that they weren't able to make it probably factors into it as well.

Lol, wow, where do I begin, First off, the whole VR thing, people have been saying this since before the PS4 was even announced and it was going to be a PC thing so i doubt that is the reason. It just hasn't been until the last year or two that it has been such a talked about thing mainly because it is now coming into a reality that it is potentially getting close. But no, it is not because it is being released on X device, it is has always been attacked because seriously, a lot of people look at it and think that they would look stupid with a piece of plasting with a screen in it on your face would look dumb and I am in that group. it has nothing to do with what system or anything. To be honest, I never even knew the PS4 was getting a VR device until you just mentioned it because I never cared enough to take note about it. Which this actually makes me laugh because one thing I have noticed is that people who are PS4 fans seem to think that everyone is jeouse of them. Now I could be wrong about that but that is just what I have observed. Now, it is also true that some people are, some maybe, but most aren't or just don't care. Just because the VR comes to the PS4 and not the Xbox (not going to say MS because that is wrong) or nintendo is just stupid when 95% at least in the main three regions have access to a computer so if they wanted to use VR, then they could. Now here, really if people want something, they will find a way to get it even if it is down the road. So again, I highly doubt it is the platform it is going to, I am pretty sure it is more the self image you will have while using the device.

curl-6 said:
So basically "zomg anybody who doesnt like it is salty!!1"

Bit defensive.

Not really no. Most people that don't like it simply don't care. Those that use bassless attacks against it and try to discredit it on the other hand likely have ulterior motives, otherwise why bother? It's not defensiveness but simple observation. If someone truly loves games for the sake of games then there really no reason they shouldn't have some interest in something that stretches the horizons of gaming.

ikki5 said:

Lol, wow, where do I begin, First off, the whole VR thing, people have been saying this since before the PS4 was even announced and it was going to be a PC thing so i doubt that is the reason. It just hasn't been until the last year or two that it has been such a talked about thing mainly because it is now coming into a reality that it is potentially getting close. But no, it is not because it is being released on X device, it is has always been attacked because seriously, a lot of people look at it and think that they would look stupid with a piece of plasting with a screen in it on your face would look dumb and I am in that group. it has nothing to do with what system or anything. To be honest, I never even knew the PS4 was getting a VR device until you just mentioned it because I never cared enough to take note about it. Which this actually makes me laugh because one thing I have noticed is that people who are PS4 fans seem to think that everyone is jeouse of them. Now I could be wrong about that but that is just what I have observed But sorry, that is not the same, some maybe, but most aren't. Just because the VR comes to the PS4 and not the Xbox (not going to say MS because that is wrong) or nintendo is just stupid when 95% at least in the main three regions have access to a computer so if they wanted to use VR, then they could. Now here, really if people want something, they will find a way to get it even if it is down the road. So again, I highly doubt it is the platform it is going to, I am pretty sure it is more the self image you will have while using the device.

ok so short story is you don't like it because you care more about how you look in most likely private more than gaming experiance? Why should I take your opinion seriously? If you are that shallow and you care that little for actual gaming then I'm sorry but your opinion doesn't really matter to me, and you complaining about really doesn't change the fact that you are salty about it. Instead of being salty because of jelousy > love of games, you are salty because your vanity > love of games which is still saltyness none the less.

I used the low resolution devkit Rift last December for a few hours. I'll be first in line to buy one when something like it is available. It was incredible. Not sure what the comfort complaints are all about, had no issues there.

LemonSlice said:

Actually, no.

I'm hoping it's just a fad. I'd rather put on a gas mask than a VR headset. Something's just so wrong about such a complete disconnect from the real world and I wonder what it will do to people.

I'm going for eXistenZ happening (more specifically tranCendenZ). It isn't something you game on for a day on end, but in doses it's pretty damn amazing. ... I need to give my eXistenZ blu-ray another play.