By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anybody actually care about these VR headsets?

Didn't care about the concept of "VR" when I was a kid in the 90s. Still don't care now.

It holds exactly the same fascination as the "3D" fad: none. It's just another silly gimmick, if you ask me.

Around the Network

I am as excited as one can be. I know whats coming since I used the DK1 and DK2 and the potential is massive. This technology is in its early stages and still needs to improve but unlike the 90s there is a clear path to the goal visible now.

I'm interested. I don't know how it feels before i've tried it myself. Others opinion on it are not relevant to my future like or dislike for it.

yes, absolutely... the future can't come soon enough!! :D

Nicklesbe said:
ikki5 said:

Would you care if you were obscenely fat, would you go to a beach without thinking about yourself at all, or had a massive scar going down your face, or if you were born with a birth defect on you that was obviously seen or even had to wear some weird thing on your face for some medical purpose and out and about in the public? I think so. You might live in some rabbit hole and don't see or meet people but most people do live around people. People care about self image, people don't want to be judged by others. That's why we try not to do stpid things or look foolish around other people. like, just imagine trying to play with a bunch of friends all wearing some device on your face so you can't even see them or look into your eyes. Like, that is ujust stupid and the live of someone who wants to spend their time alone and away from people. You may think i am salty because of this but I would rather be social, not be judged by others and not be living in a psuedo irtual world.

I don't live in some "rabbit hole" I do live with others. Unlike you I actually have confidence in how I look. I know I look good, and I know I will look good in just about anything, however I am also developed and experianced enough as person to know that looks really don't matter. Perhaps that is your problem? Perhaps you are so self conscious because you have no confidence in how you look? You seem to be someone that is not only quite self obsorbed but also quite sheltered. So I'm going to let you in a little secret. In the real world, no one really gives a shit what you look like.  Just because you are shallow and judge everyone you see doesn't mean everyone who sees you judges you. In reality most people don't give a fuck. Trust me I'm close to 30 and have been rockin a mohawk since I was 16. The only person who ever gives me any shit on how I look is my girlfriend, and that's usually when I just throw on a messy shirt. Otherwise no one gives a damn. 

You can still be social and have fun with games. I would highly suggest you work on your self confidence and tone down the vanity, and maybe even do some work on developing a personality that doesn't revolve around shallowness and try to achieve some sort of deeper understanding.

First off, I never said you couldn't be social and play games, don't assume I said that. A lot of gamers as it is are already looked upon as having a less social life in the genral world as they spend most of their free time on a computer or in front of the TV or both and usuall not talking to someone unless it is over a microphone, most times where you cannot be seen.

Second, if what you say is true, then i must congradulate you on overcoming something humanity is self inclind to do. I guess you can now wear what you want, do what ever you want to look as unprofessional, unmodest as is your dress, i hope you can figure out what that means and tend not to care how others, or what others think about themselves. Which is something Humanity as a whole has been struggling since the dawn of their existance. But I do se what you mean, some people do not care about their image as much as others but at the same time, they do care because, well, people judge. It affects who their friends are, who they meet,  what people talk about around you and behind your back and where and how they gets jobs even though it is not supposed to be that way but it is. I know this from first hand experience. I used to put in Video games in my interest section on my resume and if i was at an interview when asked what I do in my free time, I'd say video games and guess what, nothing. I stop and hey, I got a job in next to no time after searching for several months. yeah it wcould be coincidnece but unikely. Employers like people who deal with actual people. Just think of what they'll think when you tell them you wear a mask with a screen on it over your face on your free time.

And lastly, You are right that I could improve on my self confidence though I don't think self confidence is the right term. I think you are more looking for the word Self-Esteem but everyone can improve on that. I have a good understanding of everything, I just also have a good understand of how humanity is and how they think about themselves and about each other and that know what people think about you, is almost as important about how you think about yourself dispite what others might say about that statement. What others say about you will also refect your wn persoanl image and self Esteem. It's a sad world i know but this is humanity and how Humanity works.

Around the Network

The whole how you look argument reminds me of the early handhelds. 'Grown ups' playing with little kids toys on the bus. Now everyone plays angry birds and candy crush where ever they like. As if diving into your phone screen in public spaces is any more social than playing a game at home with a headset on...

@Ikki5 The best job I got, part of the interview was what games I played, and if I liked Duke Nukem 3D since they played that in Lan after work. That was 20 years ago. It was a software company though, they like people that know there way around computers.

i have seen some cool uses for it
as with most new devices, there'll be plenty of gimmicky trendy "shovelware", that's to be expected. but i think there'll be some gems too
it is quite good for horror, no doubt there...makes scary games even scarier

I wonder if it'd work well with flight games..like No mans sky.. maybe not due to motion sickness, i dunno. would have to try first.

I want to try it, just be concerned with other's before using it and being dirty or unsanitary.

if they get The World as a launch title i might consider getting a VR headset of whichever company

If it increase my fapping potential I will get one, it's my destiny

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.