By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon: "If it were mario, we wouldn't be able to create a new IP"

vivster said:
At least they know the exact point in time where they lost a million sales.

This. LOL

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
At this point a new IP does more for their image than another Mario game.
Short term loss, long term gain.

You think a Mario shooter would be just a short term gain!? LOLOL.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Mario is oversaturated. The glut of games like NSMB2, NSMBU, 3D Land, and 3D World all in a short period damaged his brand power. Further saturation would have continued to weaken Nintendo's strongest property, which in the long term would be disastrous.

Nintendo have more than ever been criticised for sticking to familiar brands, and in particular milking Mario. A new IP helps counter this negative image.

curl-6 said:

Mario is oversaturated. The glut of games like NSMB2, NSMBU, 3D Land, and 3D World all in a short period damaged his brand power. Further saturation would have continued to weaken Nintendo's strongest property, which in the long term would be disastrous.

Nintendo have more than ever been criticised for sticking to familiar brands, and in particular milking Mario. A new IP helps counter this negative image.

It damaged his brand power. Right. That's why four out of the five top selling Wii U games have his name in the title, two of which you just listed. All that criticism comes from the loud minority. A game no one will ever hear of definitely won't help their image.

The sad thing is sales of this game will suffer because of that decision. It would be great to think Wii U owners would embrace a new game that has none of the characters of yore, but i have no confidence that the Wii U audience will do such a thing.

But in the case of this game I don't think it sounds very compelling so I expect it will probably get the sales it deserves, which will not be all that much.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Mairo Tennis, Mario Gold, Mario Soccer. goes on and on and on.

Sure the "core" love mario but that the Nintendo core. Variety is what will retain people from shifting consoles who appreciate more than just Mario games.

I'm hoping this game is as deep as I'm imagining it is. Then it could survive as a new IP for sure.

Ok.

curl-6 said:
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

it isnt!MARIO KART wins watch dogs(new ip ) per platrform, ps4.....installbase! do note delude yourself!if it was a mario it would be a hit,splatoon success is uncertain  ,however i m optimistic,2.5m maximum!mario has still huge sales and is the first selling franchise of all time....other games ,are far more saturated but also still have great sales!i only agree ,that a new  ip is  enhancing nintendo image!edit: plus that the three best selling games  of wii u are mario games!

double post....