By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon: "If it were mario, we wouldn't be able to create a new IP"

spemanig said:

SM3DW sold to like a third of the audience. 2.22m. I don't think they're disappointed at all.

Didn't move consoles. If they were in business of just selling software. They might as well make forums happy and go third party. 

Agree with Curl.

Around the Network

Maybe they'll feature Mario and other characters as DLC

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179

I'm so happy Nintendo is taking a chance on a new IP! This was my game of E3. Keep it fresh Nintendo!

Born as a - now scrapped - multiplayer add-on to an upcoming HD remake for Wii U.

curl-6 said:

People want to see fresh new content from Nintendo. A new IP provides this.

The "all they do is rehash Mario" stigma has been a blight on their image for a while now, Mario Paintball would have made it worse.

A new IP that looks like it could have been a Mario game doesn't change that at all.

Around the Network
green_sky said:

Didn't move consoles. If they were in business of just selling software. They might as well make forums happy and go third party. 

Agree with Curl.

It's not a game that would move consoles. Especially not with nothing signifigant coming out after it for six months. Like I already said.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

People want to see fresh new content from Nintendo. A new IP provides this.

The "all they do is rehash Mario" stigma has been a blight on their image for a while now, Mario Paintball would have made it worse.

A new IP that looks like it could have been a Mario game doesn't change that at all.

But it's not a Mario game. Gamers won't care that it theoretically "could have been".

Captain Toad is also new IP and is somewhat a Mario game.

curl-6 said:

But it's not a Mario game. Gamers won't care that it theoretically "could have been".

Lol, are you kidding? Where do you think the kiddie stigma comes from? The Mario stigma. They're two sides of the same coin.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Lol, are you kidding? Where do you think the kiddie stigma comes from? The Mario stigma. They're two sides of the same coin.

The Mario stigma is the Mario stigma. Splatoon isn't Mario, so it will not further their reputation as "the guys who rehash Mario".