By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon: "If it were mario, we wouldn't be able to create a new IP"

Hopefully the franchise becomes successful on it's own.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
i think thats pretty obvious? is there something that i am missing?

Umm, no? There is nothing you're missing!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
bananaking21 said:
i think thats pretty obvious? is there something that i am missing?

well i guess we learned something today. if you want to make a new IP, dont make a game from an existing IP!

Yes, it would be a new IP. The problem is most people are stupid and think that character = IP.

They made the right decision, though.

Damn, I want a Mario shooter now -.-

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
AZWification said:

well i guess we learned something today. if you want to make a new IP, dont make a game from an existing IP!

Exactly! Learning things is just so damn useful.......even if those things are common-sense!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Mario is oversaturated. The glut of games like NSMB2, NSMBU, 3D Land, and 3D World all in a short period damaged his brand power. Further saturation would have continued to weaken Nintendo's strongest property, which in the long term would be disastrous.

Nintendo have more than ever been criticised for sticking to familiar brands, and in particular milking Mario. A new IP helps counter this negative image.

It damaged his brand power. Right. That's why four out of the five top selling Wii U games have his name in the title, two of which you just listed. All that criticism comes from the loud minority. A game no one will ever hear of definitely won't help their image.

Sure, lets package every new idea in the same overused franchise, that will totally show people that we offer variety and fresh content. 

bananaking21 said:
Maraccuda said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Well, even though I love Splatoon as its own IP, I think Mario would have sold more

Sad but true.

People want new IPs from Nintendo.

->People dont buy new IPs

->Nintendo uses Mario for a new game

->People hate on Nintendo for not making new IPs

.....eternal cycle of hate

the reason why people dont buy new ips from nintendo is that they dont put as much effort in their new ips as they do with mario and zelda games.

when was the last time nintendo created a new ip on the scale and quality of zelda? (my points exclude xenoblade, its a very well recieved game but its genre doesnt sell as much, its as simple as that, but it has its fanbase)

All 3 quotes in this tree have very good points.  It's almost as if Nintendo are frightened to invest too much in a new IP in case it is a disaster. I mean, look at W101. That was another one where they once considered using characters from existing IPs, Smash Bros style.

Splatoon, I think, has the potential to be a real hit as a new IP. The colours, the music, the art style, the characters, it's fast and furious, and looks like a lot of fun. My kids can't wait for it to be released, and that's just based on the E3 trailer.

But Nintendo have to invest big style in the marketing and advertising. They screwed up on the Wii U and various games for it -  I hope they don't screw up for Splatoon.

curl-6 said:
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Mario is oversaturated. The glut of games like NSMB2, NSMBU, 3D Land, and 3D World all in a short period damaged his brand power. Further saturation would have continued to weaken Nintendo's strongest property, which in the long term would be disastrous.

Nintendo have more than ever been criticised for sticking to familiar brands, and in particular milking Mario. A new IP helps counter this negative image.

It damaged his brand power. Right. That's why four out of the five top selling Wii U games have his name in the title, two of which you just listed. All that criticism comes from the loud minority. A game no one will ever hear of definitely won't help their image.

Sure, lets package every new idea in the same overused franchise, that will totally show people that we offer variety and fresh content. 

Let him stay in his own little world by himself.

Nintendo deciding to actually let the game create it's own unique experience and image is a GOOD thing. You dont have to slap mario on everything because you're terrified that it might not succeed. Let this ip start from scratch with it's own brand new characters just like how mario did those many years ago.

Trust and believe that if Splatoon is as good as it seems it's going to be, it is going to sell.

MRKs said:
Damn, I want a Mario shooter now -.-