By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why is an "all in one entertainment system" not desired when it comes to gaming consoles?

Do you use your cell phone while you poo?

Yes, i am disgusting 69 50.36%

No, i have no life 37 27.01%

See Results 31 22.63%

Total:137

Don't fall for the PR and don't underestimate the market.

An all in one box is extremely valued, everyone would want something that can do everything. Problem has always been though, that everyone that talks up the "All In One" BS is usually just saying that as a justification for an unreasonable price point or some other shortcoming. Its the price or those shortcomings that chases people away.

The PS3 was an "all in one" that for the most part was due to it being the cheapest blu-ray player you could buy at the time. Still din't mean it didn't cost $600. The XB1 "is" an all in one primarily cause its a glorified remote control. That doesn't justify it costing more than something that is deemed to be better all round hardware.

In truth, none of these consoles that claim to be all in ones are really all in ones. Especially when in truth a 1GB android phone can "do more" than any of the home consoles on the market. Yes the home consoles play games better and stuff, but as far as productivity goes, you can do way more with a budget smartphone than you can with any home console. And people aren't stupid.

The day my console has a super fast well designed browser that I can use for any site without issues, my controller has a screen that can pass for a soft keyboard, I can download torrent apps and ultimately torrents on my console, I can download and play youtube videos, have a media player that can play anything, can install and use open office on my console....etc; then we can call it an all in one.

Most importantly though, no one has actually made an all in one. The closest thing to that monicker is a steambox or a HTPC. Sony/MS basically make game consoles and then call them all in ones cause they can do a few other things outside gaming. If they really made an all in one, that was designed to last at least 5 years, then that console would cost well over $1000. Steamboxes or HTPCs can get away with this cause they are at least upgradeable.

Around the Network

because people think that every app that get´s developed means that a game doesn´t get made, which is bullshit since those app teams don´t know how to make games, but that´s how it is

It's not a good marketing message to sell your console to your targeted audience. Xbox one tried the all-in-one entertainment machine message, it wasn't exactly effective. On the other hand, sony's for-the-gamers moto for the ps4 is doing wonders. Having extensive features in a console is great, but having a clearer message is better.

dangerguy said:
Yeah, I can't believe MS blew it on reveal like they did. I mean, at their heart these are next gen gaming systems. The other stuff is awesome, but it should be seen as "comes with the territory." It should be expected and MS went overboard with focusing on it upon the reveal.

I will say, however, that the HDMI throughput is an incredible feature that I couldn't imagine going without moving forward, but it should have been talked about after the big reveal that focused on next gen gaming.

The HDMI passthrough is actually a pretty useless feature. And really goes to show just how outta touch MS was when making the XB1. Like they were leaving in a cave.

This law was passed in 2012 to become effective in 2014/2015 

Basically, in NA at least all cable providers are required by law to allow cable HD streaming within homes and recording of shows on external devces. This basically means that the whole HDMI passthrough thing is redundant. With cable streaming supported devices (basically any device in your home with DLNA support)can not only recieve the live stream but also record it locally and change channels. 

If people wanted all-in-one boxes, they wouldn't buy a console. There's no advantage.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

All of them sort of are All in One devices now.

You guys got it all wrong.

The real answer is that gamers are a fickle bunch. And if anything threatens, even potentially, their narrow view of what a video game console and video games will be, they revolt. They like to think of themselves as being welcome to change. But let's face, they're not.

So console makers need to just market their consoles as a video game machine and covertly make it an all-in-one machine that will become known by word of mouth rather than spending dollars on advertising.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

I think it's a question of attitude. I like my Kindle Fire tablet to read ebooks and use it as a tablet. I can even watch Amazon Instant Prime on it. One device. Of course I could've bought a Kindle, a Tablet and use my BD-Player for AIP.
I like the idea of doing more on a box than it was designed/planned for if the core functionality doesn't take hits from it.
I think Xbox One doing MKV next weeks is a very big hit - at least it would be for me - if my TV wouldn't do this already
I think nowadays many devices offer functions that could be replaced by another device but why? If a device offers more (and perhaps in a better way than a dedicated device) why not use it?

I would say the reason there isn't much "interest" in it is because it's expected at this point. That is to say that PS4 pretty much is an all-in-one entertainment device anyways, they just didn't focus on that. It has ALL the same apps that Xbone has, but the focus is on games. I don't need to buy a $500 console to watch tv on, so the whole tv aspect of Xbone was just pointless.

outlawauron said:
If people wanted all-in-one boxes, they wouldn't buy a console. There's no advantage.

You are right, and its kinda sad cause my current HTPC is joke when compared to the PS4 in terms of power. Its got a total of 4GB or ram and runs windows 8.1 and running an intel cpu with integrated GPU. But I can hook up a 4TB HDD to it and schedule all my torrents to download. Can also install things like XBMC (kodi) on it and access my content from anywhere on the planet I am.

It would take sony/ms absolutely nothing to make their consoles have that kinda versatility. Makes you wonder if no one in the hardware or software side of either company has ever owned a HTPC.