By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why is an "all in one entertainment system" not desired when it comes to gaming consoles?

Do you use your cell phone while you poo?

Yes, i am disgusting 69 50.36%

No, i have no life 37 27.01%

See Results 31 22.63%

Total:137

A console is a venue. Its a product you get to get other products (games).
When this venue wants to sell you other stuff when you are not satisfied with its primary function, its obvious the customer is not gonna be satisfied. If it fails at its primary function, its a faulty product.

Around the Network

Most TVs these days have or can get apps to do things like Netflix and Pandora, so if you want a true All-in-One, get a new TV. You don't need a console unless you specifically *want* to game. And an all in one console is an oxy moron because of exclusives.

By and large. adding features like Hulu and Youtube gives people more options on how they can access things. You can use a PC or laptop, your console, or the TV itself. You pick the interface you like the most, therefore you win as a consumer.

Especially as most of these devices already have the power to run all these functions. Adding the apps is a trivial addition to gain a lot of functionality for the consumer. When someone says "all in one" device these days, they really mean "we DON'T want you using any of your other consumer options. We want you to use this one interface."

The view we have of an all-in-one box can be summed up by the expression "Jack of all trades, master of none." and that's not what we want a console to be. For a console to be appealing it needs to be "master" in the games department first and foremost.

Signature goes here!

I use to care about the media functions. I used my ps3 all the time as a BD player more than a game system. But once the PS4 came out with missing functions from PS3. I just bought a Oppo BD player and use that for all my media needs. And disabled region lockout.

Because everything I own already does all of the things an "all in one entertainment system" does.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

It's because we (well at least I) buy gaming systems to play games. I don't care if they play movies, make me toast, or open cans for me. If one could give me a professional massage I could go for that but I don't think that the XBone offers that feature.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Easy.

Smartphones succeed because they put many desired and already successful features (camera, email, internet, games) in one. There is demand for these things.

The Xbox One added features that no one wants. MS just wanted people to want them.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

daredevil.shark said:

People are tyring to make all in one entertainment system sicne 1980s. This guys made $5000 console which bombed. This console was basically the ancestor of kinect.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4HyBLgmRlw

Cool video.  I was a big fan of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace.  Sadly, the Halcyon was poorly conceived albeit ambitious.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Intrinsic said:
dangerguy said:
Yeah, I can't believe MS blew it on reveal like they did. I mean, at their heart these are next gen gaming systems. The other stuff is awesome, but it should be seen as "comes with the territory." It should be expected and MS went overboard with focusing on it upon the reveal.

I will say, however, that the HDMI throughput is an incredible feature that I couldn't imagine going without moving forward, but it should have been talked about after the big reveal that focused on next gen gaming.

The HDMI passthrough is actually a pretty useless feature. And really goes to show just how outta touch MS was when making the XB1. Like they were leaving in a cave.

This law was passed in 2012 to become effective in 2014/2015 

Basically, in NA at least all cable providers are required by law to allow cable HD streaming within homes and recording of shows on external devces. This basically means that the whole HDMI passthrough thing is redundant. With cable streaming supported devices (basically any device in your home with DLNA support)can not only recieve the live stream but also record it locally and change channels. 

Clearly you don't understand how it works with Xbox One then.  And first of all, I should say I game on my main TV, which makes a difference.  For someone that has a monitor for gaming only, it is fairly worthless.  For me, however, it's amazing.  I don't have to change inputs to access my gaming world.  I'm always immersed in it.  As I'm watching TV I can see friends that are online, I can get game invites while I'm watching TV, I can be watching TV and instantaneously go to a game and back to TV if I'd like, while I wait in a lobby.  I go to Netflix, Youtube, then back to TV, and I never have to switch inputs.  It puts your television "into" your gaming system.  It truly does become "one" and being a "old school" gamer, I can truly say it's one of the biggest innovations I've ever experienced with regards to game consoles.  

People buy gaming consoles basically do one thing: play games. When you try to incorporate all kinds of bells and whistles which 95% of your customers do not care about you dilute your message. What Sonicrosoft should focus on is making the most powerful piece of hardware for the cheapest price and an extremely ergonomic controller. Everything else is a waste of resources. The execs at these companies are completely tone deaf to what the common slob on the couch with doritos crumbs on their shirt actually wants