By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why is an "all in one entertainment system" not desired when it comes to gaming consoles?

Do you use your cell phone while you poo?

Yes, i am disgusting 69 50.36%

No, i have no life 37 27.01%

See Results 31 22.63%

Total:137
dreamcast210 said:
You guys got it all wrong.

The real answer is that gamers are a fickle bunch. And if anything threatens, even potentially, their narrow view of what a video game console and video games will be, they revolt. They like to think of themselves as being welcome to change. But let's face, they're not.

So console makers need to just market their consoles as a video game machine and covertly make it an all-in-one machine that will become known by word of mouth rather than spending dollars on advertising.

While i agree with you I think you a a little wrong. Gamers are actually open to change, as long as you cover certain basics. There are somethings gamers will not forgive you for. They want the best hardware possible at the most affordable price first and foremost. But they will be the first to jump on any other supporting hardware or software you throw in there as long as it has no apparent added cost to their "basics". The worst thing you can do to them is make them pay for something that they feel they do not need.

But yh, why a "Gaming company" will reveal hardware that doesn't seem to be focused on "Gaming" is beyond me. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Because it gives the impression that they will neglect the gaming side by spending alot of time and money on the other stuff.

this and the people that just want to game have to spend money on crap they dont need.

I think it is because the initial reason people purchase a gaming console is for gaming, not for an all in one device.

When I bought my PS3, I didn't care to watch Netflix, or even ever watch blurays on it. Now, probably 3 years later, the brunt of what I do with it is media related, and not game related, but that doesn't change that my primary reason for a console purchase is still that the gaming part of it can satisfy me.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I just want a console for gaming and for netflix sometimes. Those are the most important things to me.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

gamers are very insecure and immature. 

i love that my ps4 can play netflix and amazon prime video.  i'd very much appreciate apps for pandora, spotify, amazon cloud music player, youtube, pinterest, facebook, dropbox, and probably many others.  i don't need ps4 to do everything but my tv is hooked up to the tv which is great for entertaining myself and family.  i see no reason other forms of entertainment is anything but a good thing.

Around the Network

All in one gaming device already exists and does it easier and better than any console. It is called a gaming PC rig. =P

Consoles can simply the way we play games, but as a media center a PC will always be better.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Because something that does everything, usually never does the one thing you want the best, as it sacrifices in power or resources are made to make way for everything else.

But there is no reason why most features that people want from a home media system cant be added over time.

Do you use your cell phone while you poo?

No, I use a 3DS :D

For me its about preserving the life of the console for gaming.

From a market perspective, people may feel like the company is going in too many directions and that game quality and output will suffer. We kind of saw it already with Sony suffering of their other electronics. Before PS brand they were leaders, Then they put a strong focus on gaming and their other areas suffered and they kind of become not so important in the mid to late 00s. A lot of people (at least were I live) all they talked about was samsung TVs. in the last few years Sony gets mentions. So they appear to be getting some of their mojo back.

When buying a gaming console, thinking of an all-one-console doesn't really fit the purpose of gaming. It feels as if the gaming part isn't concentrated. The gaming consumer wouldn't want to buy an all-in-one system because of that. However, the entertainment consumer group would but an all-in-one console but the market size for that type of console is small.