By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - why is an "all in one entertainment system" not desired when it comes to gaming consoles?

Do you use your cell phone while you poo?

Yes, i am disgusting 69 50.36%

No, i have no life 37 27.01%

See Results 31 22.63%

Total:137

Cause we want games first and other forms of entertainment later

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

It's not necessary to have all those extra features.

But I don't mind if you can add em to my gaming console I am all for it.

All current gen consoles are multimidia devices.

The PS3 and 360 both sold very well and are all in one devices.

PS4 and Xbone will end up selling very well and are all in one devices.

WiiU is not an all in one device.

all-in one = decent at everything not best at anything

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:

Last gen one of the reasons PS3 lost consumer interest was because sony went out and portrayed as in all in one media device, and it wasnt succesful. this gen microsoft built its machine to be the ultimate all in one device, and the result is well known by now. whats interesting is that when it comes to other consume products like a cellphone, laptop, tablet, an all in device is very much prefered. why isnt it the case with gaming consoles?

personally for me i want a machine built around gaming with some DLNA features, and i am all set. but this thread isnt about personal prefrences, its about the market in general not desiring an "all in one entertainment system"?

well at least for this gen, most people have something like a Chromecast, Roku, AppleTV, or one of the many other devices that can do this stuff.  so people want a game consoles to play games first and formost mainly cause they have devices that can do this stuff already.  hell i cant even tell you the last time i used a console for anything more then playing games.  my tv has all these apps on it that the console has(at least the ones i use)

there are pretty good points in this thread, thanks everyone. im not gonna reply to users as i was more interested in hearing opinions on the matter.

Because I buy gaming consoles for games. Everything else is just extra.

I am not against the idea of an all in one entertainment device and I am sure such things will be produced more in years to come, but right now I have no need for it.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

A lot of people say these apps are on other devices, but they work a whole lot better and faster on a console. After using them on a console, it is painful to use a SMART TV version. They just don't have the processing power.

Combine the power of a console and Kinect voice commands and you have a really nice product.

Unfortunately, they focused a little too much on this and gave early adopters the impression they were not focused on games. In reality, their launch lineup was just as good if not better than the PS4 launch lineup.

dangerguy said:
Intrinsic said:
dangerguy said:
Yeah, I can't believe MS blew it on reveal like they did. I mean, at their heart these are next gen gaming systems. The other stuff is awesome, but it should be seen as "comes with the territory." It should be expected and MS went overboard with focusing on it upon the reveal.

I will say, however, that the HDMI throughput is an incredible feature that I couldn't imagine going without moving forward, but it should have been talked about after the big reveal that focused on next gen gaming.

The HDMI passthrough is actually a pretty useless feature. And really goes to show just how outta touch MS was when making the XB1. Like they were leaving in a cave.

This law was passed in 2012 to become effective in 2014/2015 

Basically, in NA at least all cable providers are required by law to allow cable HD streaming within homes and recording of shows on external devces. This basically means that the whole HDMI passthrough thing is redundant. With cable streaming supported devices (basically any device in your home with DLNA support)can not only recieve the live stream but also record it locally and change channels. 

Clearly you don't understand how it works with Xbox One then.  And first of all, I should say I game on my main TV, which makes a difference.  For someone that has a monitor for gaming only, it is fairly worthless.  For me, however, it's amazing.  I don't have to change inputs to access my gaming world.  I'm always immersed in it.  As I'm watching TV I can see friends that are online, I can get game invites while I'm watching TV, I can be watching TV and instantaneously go to a game and back to TV if I'd like, while I wait in a lobby.  I go to Netflix, Youtube, then back to TV, and I never have to switch inputs.  It puts your television "into" your gaming system.  It truly does become "one" and being a "old school" gamer, I can truly say it's one of the biggest innovations I've ever experienced with regards to game consoles.  

You should work for Microsoft.  You clearly stated the value of XBOX one and how it enhances the gaming experience.  I don't think MS made as clear a case at E3.  Even the commercial with Jesse from Breaking Bad mentions watching TV while playing Titanfall.  Who is going to watch TV while watching Titanfall.  On the other hand, if they show him watching TV and getting a friend request to play Titanfall, and jumping into the game, gamers may have been interested.