By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Sony lose Japan?

So your expecting over 10.5mil lifetime? (i think ps3 surpassed 10mil in the beginning of the year so 10.5mil seems like a good end estimate)

Well good luck with that, i seriously doubt it but i could be wrong. I think 6-8mil is more realistic

last gen was around 20m all 3 of them, 10ish easily nuf even if marlet shrinks plenty more.

Around the Network
BeElite said:
Nem said:
BeElite said:
One game alone will be more then enough to make japan PS4 land.

And what is that game, out of curiosity?

I dont recall anything selling more than 400k ish on a home console in japan lately.

I dont think this "one" game exists, but i would like to know what you have in mind.

Dq FF MH hell even Khearts could be it.   Lets be real all the PS4 is facing is the wiiu, that aint exactly steller competition.

Some Dragon ball or Gundam gaem will be very telling of the future.  Given the mind blowing numbers the vita has done with no big game just smaller ones, the future is not exactly hard to predict.  

What if the next DQ comes out for the Wii U? the Dragon quest audience is already on the Wii U with DQX. FF is definitly big but it lost alot of traction with the lastest entries. If debatable wether it can become a million seller in japan again.

Monster Hunters isnt big on consoles either, so i think the fight might be more than one game. It does help the PS4 having FF, KH and Tales of... but the japanese are so uninterested in home consoles that i wonder if they care anymore.

Anyways it seems premature to declare a winner at this point. This might actually be one of the most interesting fights this generation.

even tho I wish that sony lost japan to nintendo (because other systems also need some jrpgs not only sony ones...) i think Sony and Nintendo lost japan to dumbphones.

TBH most humans are stupid (lets just say everyone and his/her family on vgchartz is NOT so nobody gets offended) and those people all just care about short term profit. It does not matter if you destroy your own company in the future or your whole industry as long as you get enough money right now and in case of everything fucking up you can still sell the company or jump ship or whatever. We also fuck up earth because those greedy idiots dont care if the world is a piece of shit in 40 years or not.

The music industry somewhat fucked up with selling songs for 20 cents (thanks to MP3) the gaming industry is destroying itself with focusing on visuals alone (THQ died because game developing became more and more expensive because of graphics etc.) and now it keeps destroying itself by focusing on mobile games and starting to ignore the PC/Console market.

In the end everyone will focus on mobile and alot of studios will close because everyone on mobile wants games for free. Because they automatically assume that mobile games are shit (which they are for the most part.)    Tbh the mobile gamers not buying games thing is actually the same thing as Nintendo gamers not buying non nintendo games.  You got used to everything being crap so you hesitate and just dont pay unless you can be 100% that everything will be great. if 10 out of 10 games would be awesome you might start to consider buying but as long as every second game is crap or some games dont even come to your system the risk of getting burned is to high.

Nem said:

What if the next DQ comes out for the Wii U? the Dragon quest audience is already on the Wii U with DQX. FF is definitly big but it lost alot of traction with the lastest entries. If debatable wether it can become a million seller in japan again.

Monster Hunters isnt big on consoles either, so i think the fight might be more than one game. It does help the PS4 having FF, KH and Tales of... but the japanese are so uninterested in home consoles that i wonder if they care anymore.

Anyways it seems premature to declare a winner at this point. This might actually be one of the most interesting fights this generation.

I dont get this notion, wii sold near 13m PS3 10, 23m combined in in a old aging declining polulus.

It likely wont be intresting at all. If intrest is down the only place japan devs can thrive on is PS4 by making games accesable to world wide markets with quick localizing.   

The japanese got lazy. They even admit thery're sticking with the PS3 right now instead of making new games for the PS4.

Around the Network
vivster said:
tbone51 said:
vivster said:
How can they lose something that hasn't even started?

PS4/Vita haven't released in japan yet?

In case of games and holidays happening, the PS4 hasn't released yet. That's like declaring a loss at the first 10m of a 100m dash.

Vita is doing fine over ther but who cares about handhelds.

I care. :c

Nem said:

FF is definitly big but it lost alot of traction with the lastest entries. It's debatable wether it can become a million seller in japan again.

No it's not...

And I really don't understand why so many people are doubting the PS4. So far it has absolutely no reason to sell well in Japan and that's exactly what it's been doing. The worst part is the comparison with the Wii U as if they were on equal grounds. Sony hasn't even started to try to cater to the Japanese gamers yet. They can't lose if they don't try.

Boutros said:
Nem said:

They can't lose if they don't try.

So Vita hasnt lost?   :)

It's Nintendo's to lose, but like many have said it will take only a couple major releases to vault the PS4 ahead of the Wii U. Nintendo had better lock down some major titles and release some proper Pokemon titles on Wii U if they want to stand a chance. This coming from a Nintendo diehard.

If the console market in Japan is effectively dead, then they're both losers.

At least Sony can take solace that the PS4 is selling North America and Europe.