By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Sony lose Japan?

Boutros said:
tbone51 said:

Nope, but you were talking about Sony which has both ps4+vita. I guess that means it doesn't apply to both? XD  

No it does not because the PS4 doesn't have the kind of competition that the PSV has.

Well thats true, but i was just referring back to your first post^

Anyway, its third party not really Sony thats going to be trying in japan (in terms of system sellers/SW in general). Not to say anything bad, but just calling it how it is :)

Besides im not sure if your one of those people that think (i dont get that from you) that once those big games come to ps4, ps4 going to be doing very well (like 10-12mil+ lifetime).

I kno ps4 will be over wiiu at the end of each life cycle, but in all honesty i see wiiu doing 3mil-4mil and ps4 doing 6mil-8mil. Consoles are really dying there. 

Around the Network

We will have to see what the latest hardware numbers are, but TLoU is currently the #2 software title, and Diablo III is #3! (both PS4 versions, of course) So it looks like, once titles that appeal to Japanese gamers are out there, they WILL buy them! I am predicting a big uptake in adoption in Japan once more Japanese-centric games are released.

jnemesh said:
We will have to see what the latest hardware numbers are, but TLoU is currently the #2 software title, and Diablo III is #3! (both PS4 versions, of course) So it looks like, once titles that appeal to Japanese gamers are out there, they WILL buy them! I am predicting a big uptake in adoption in Japan once more Japanese-centric games are released.

The numbers on those titles are terrible... <30k.

Vena said:
jnemesh said:

The numbers on those titles are terrible... <30k.

Um...you DO realize we are talking about JAPAN, right?  Not North America or the UK.  They are great numbers in context of the size of the market.

Japan has definitely moved to the handheld and phone platforms. They're more convenient, less expensive, and they don't tie the user to a room and a TV. Notice that the U, while leading current home consoles there, is utterly dominated by the 3ds in software sales. I think this change is fundamental, societal, and isn't going to change. I expect ps4 sales to climb a bit as good Japanese titles trickle out, but development of AA/AAA ps4 titles is far slower and more involved than cranking out comparatively simple 3ds games, so don't expect floods of reasons for Japanese to change their mobile first ways. Xb1 is absolutely horribly positioned for the Japanese market, if you think ps4 is doing poorly there, you haven't seen anything yet. Japan just loves the idea of a chunky VCR like box with a massive power brick and bundled kinect box that they have to cram into their compact living space. Lead balloon. In short, it may be best to ignore Japan outside of mobile.

Around the Network
jnemesh said:

Um...you DO realize we are talking about JAPAN, right?  Not North America or the UK.  They are great numbers in context of the size of the market.

I do realize, and the numbers are at best average (with TLOUR doing surprisingly well for being a remaster).

Cyrus said:
Boutros said:
tbone51 said:

Nope, but you were talking about Sony which has both ps4+vita. I guess that means it doesn't apply to both? XD  

No it does not because the PS4 doesn't have the kind of competition that the PSV has.

Yes it does, it has even more competition, but better marketing than the Vita.

What competition? The PS3?

Vena said:
jnemesh said:

I do realize, and the numbers are at best average (with TLOUR doing surprisingly well for being a remaster).

I don't agree with your assessment that these are average numbers.

Boutros said:
Cyrus said:
Boutros said:
tbone51 said:

Yes it does, it has even more competition, but better marketing than the Vita.

No that Nintendo console thats whooping it right now XD

tbone51 said:
Boutros said:

No that Nintendo console thats whooping it right now XD

I don't really think the Wii U appeals to the same kind of audience as the PS4. And that will only become more and more true as games like Bloodborne and Final Fantasy XV come out. Or whatever games we'll see at TGS.