By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII, it's not as bad as I thought

AZWification said:
Wagram said:
Final Fantasy's worst enemy is its fans. They hate each new title till the next one comes out, then the last one was amazing.

Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XII still seem to get some hate from what I've seen on the Internet! :S

Nothing gets as much hate as FFVII, which is by far the most overhyped and overrated game ever. Even if it is a 9.5 the fans make it out to be some fucking 12/10 game =P

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

It was when you look at 11 was an MMO, 12 wasn't that great, 13 was terrible (but some people like it), 14 was MMO (that failed at first attempt) and 15 is no where to be found and probably wont get released until at least 2016

12 is one of the best in the series. It has the best combat system, an awesome story, some amazing character (Balthier tops all FF characters ever), and it has soooo many sidequests to do.

Thats arguable but we will leave that for another time

And that LR may have an improved battlesystem out of the 3 but the story and just Lightning as a character is just awful

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

ktay95 said:

Nothing gets as much hate as FFVII, which is by far the most overhyped and overrated game ever. Even if it is a 9.5 the fans make it out to be some fucking 12/10 game =P

I agree that Final Fantasy VII is a very overrated game, but we have to remember that it was the first FF ( heck the first JRPG) most gamers played back in the day!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Thats arguable but we will leave that for another time

And that LR may have an improved battlesystem out of the 3 but the story and just Lightning as a character is just awful

Yes but it has Lumina who was an awesome character, best in the 13 trilogy imo

Count me in for one who quietly really liked FF XIII.  Not being a hard core JRPG fan, FF XIII  solved a lot of problems I had with the other games in the FF series.  For once, I liked the battle modes where there were real time action elements to it.  I really liked that you could avoid the stupid randomized battles that plagued the older FF games.  I even liked the simplicity of the linear game play that allowed the rather complicated but discernable story to develop.  

In all, the story, characters, graphics, and especially the music were enough to keep me moving forward and excited about the adventure.  Actually FF XIII is the first JRPG that I could stomach.  I'm sure I'll get hammered for saying this, but I Ihought the game was not only good, but great.  I hope Square will eventually release the triology on PC as they have hinted about this...

Around the Network
StarOcean said:

So recently I picked up FF13 from GameStop for $8. People hate this game so I thought this was probably a decent price for it, so I started playing it and... It actually isnt that bad...

I mean, the game doesnt feel like a masterpiece nor does it seem like an instant classic like other FF games in the past; but I really dont see what's wrong with it other than its really really obvious linerity... Which, doesnt bother me too much since I actually dont mind linerity in a game. 

What is so wrong with it? It not my fave FF, but it doesnt sound like the dreaded series people in the FF community detests so much XD

it's not just linear, it's a corridor "rpg" - I thought the game was decent (enough to platinum it), but walking in a straight line for ~15h before finally comming to a more open area (after which the game btw goes back to strict linearity) was pretty dull

Ka-pi96 said:
ktay95 said:

12 is one the worst in the series. It has the worst combat system, a boring story, some terrible characters (Vaan, the worst protagonist for any game ever), and it has no card games.

Fixed

Lol

The Gambit system was amazing. It allowed real time combat and movement without having to rely on shitty AI, its something 13 needed for the rest of your party and something 15 should use as its obvious you will only really be controlling 1 member of the party at a time. And Balthier is the leading man, he even states it multiple times throughout the game =P

Ka-pi96 said:
ktay95 said:

Lol

The Gambit system was amazing. It allowed real time combat and movement without having to rely on shitty AI, its something 13 needed for the rest of your party and something 15 should use as its obvious you will only really be controlling 1 member of the party at a time. And Balthier is the leading man, he even states it multiple times throughout the game =P

Dunno about the gambit system, didn't use them and don't want to. But the only controlling 1 character sucked and the MMO copied system was horrible. FF 13s battle system could have been better, but other than the only control 1 character thing it was just a sped up atb system. In a game where I can only control 1 character I'd much rather the ai just get on with their thing by themselves so yeah, I hope 15 doesn't have gambits or paradigms or anything else.

I'll admit Balthier was pretty cool though

This makes no sense, your trying to tell me you played FF12 with just 1 character in your party, or 3 but 2 who just stood there??

As for 15 not having a Gambit like system, then you will bitch about 15 for only really controlling 1 character anyway. At least with a gambit type system you can tell the AI what to do rather than being stuck with retarted and shit AI. Its obvious in a game like 15 your not going to have full control over your party like you did in 10 (best turn based battle system ever), surely some control is better than no control.

Well I guess nobody's perfect.. :)

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Ka-pi96 said:
Agreed, it really isn't that bad. It is actually quite fun.

IMO the hate comes because it is called Final Fantasy and doesn't compare to previous ones, if it had any other name it would probably be thought of in a much more positive light.

I doubt it. The game just isn't very good. If it weren't called Final Fantasy the game would have gotten the low scored reviews and minimal sales it deserved. Lost Odyssey was 10 times the game that FFXIII was. I had no expectations for FFXIII and I still found it underwhelming. The game was incredibly linear even by JRPG standards, the cast was poor, the dialogue was awful, the story wasn't very good despite the incredible lore in the datalogs. Hope and Vanille were two of the worst characters I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing in a JRPG. To put that in perspective, I've complete Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. Those two are in the same class as Emil Castagnier, who in my opinion, is the worst lead in JRPG history.