By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, 1st time

Tagged games:

firts time you play oot is the best gaming experience ever. mainly if you never played something like this before.

i imagine in 1998 when this game released. the 99 metacritic is well deserved.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Playing Ocarina of time was so amazing because it was so ahead of its time. The size and scope of the game were so much grander than anything else up to that point (at least on console). There was so much to do and all in glorious 3D. I remember spending hours just wandering around the castle town seeing all that could be done. Not sure the game would have that effect today. I wonder what it would be like to play it for the first time now.

I like when people save me time :) You mirror my thoughts almost exactly.

I am quite curious to see how people would react to playing this game now for the first time because my gut reaction is that certain elements of the game simply can't have aged that well.

At the time it was released it was simply so much better than everything else out it wasn't even funny.  This is why i rate it the best game ever, not to say there haven't been better games since, but none that have towered above the competition to the same extent. (Metroid Prime is close though)

I ran through on 3DS again recently.

Very jealous, enjoy!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

hsrob said:
JWeinCom said:
Playing Ocarina of time was so amazing because it was so ahead of its time. The size and scope of the game were so much grander than anything else up to that point (at least on console). There was so much to do and all in glorious 3D. I remember spending hours just wandering around the castle town seeing all that could be done. Not sure the game would have that effect today. I wonder what it would be like to play it for the first time now.

I am quite curious to see how people would react to playing this game now for the first time because my gut reaction is that certain elements of the game simply can't have aged that well.

At the time it was released it was simply so much better than everything else out it wasn't even funny.  This is why i rate it the best game ever, not to say there haven't been better games since, but none that have towered above the competition to the same extent. (Metroid Prime is close though)

Yeah.  I played it on the 3DS and it was still amazing, but it's hard to tell how much of that is nostalgia.

_crazy_man_ said:
I wish I could play Prime 1 for the first time again.....

I'm with you on that one. The wonder you get when you first explore that game, with the music and atmosphere. One of gaming's best gems.

Around the Network
hsrob said:
JWeinCom said:

Add me to the club on both these posts.  I played it when it first came out too.  Amazing, period.  Just like Mario 64.

Not fair to compare it to games it figuratively gave birth to, going on 20 years later.  But it would be cool to experience other people's perception (in games and other things in life).  Would probably make the world a much more tolerant place in general! 

The 3DS game is the Definitve Version of the game, with upgraded Surround Sound & so fort.

Definitely play Ocarina of Time 3D with the 3D ON and all the way up, plus Surround Sound Headphones on. ULTIMATE ZELDA OCARINA OF TIME EXPERIENCE, 100% GUARANTEED.

I recommend something like "Plantronics Gamecom 777" for your Surround Sound needs on the 3DS.

EDIT:

Both the 3D & Surround Sound will blow your mind in this game.

You are not going to see it as the best game ever unless you played it in 1998-2000

Just pretend you were in 1998 and playing this just imagine how mind blowing it is. The world seemed endless It made mario 64 look like a kiddy pool. Ocarina of Time was a Olympic stadium sized pool.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Mythmaker1 said:
AZWification said:

So? I don't care what other people think! Skyward Sword will always be better than in OoT in my book!

I think you're reading your book upside down. :P

In all seriousness, personal taste can account for a lot, but I really have never understood how someone could think so highly of Skyward Sword. Ocarina isn't perfect, but SS isn't even in the same league in my book.

Well, OoT feels dated nowadays so I can't really enjoy it that much! The same can be said for games like Goldeneye 007, Final Fantasy VII, etc..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

it is a bit overrated if you ask me