By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 is the most innovative 8th gen console by a mile. haters be damned!

Areym said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
Areym said:
If the morpheus is a success, then I will totally agree. None of the consoles stepped it up in innovation and especially not the Wii U gamepad. Where is the innovation in that? Kinect is a bust so that's out of the question.

At least Nintemdo tries to do something different...

More like they gambled, much like the Wii. Only this time, it hasn't panned out as well.

Besides, they are wasting their "innovation." I have yet to hear of a game that truly uses the pad to its fullest, much like Kinect and Move.

Pikmin 3 (I personally cant play it without the gamepad)

Lego City Undercover

Batman Arkham City:Armored Edition

ZombiU

Nintendo Land

Game&Wario

Those are some I can think of from my library of games. And I know from here on out Nintendo is going to be pushing the gamepad a lot more with titles like Splatoon, Star Fox, Mario Maker, Project Robot and Gaurd,  and more than likely The Legend of Zelda.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network
CommonNinja said:

1.)  X1 had DVR capabilities (so not innovative).

Please explain how a device copying another makes innovation invalid. If anything it makes it more valid since adoption is one of the prerequisits for innovation.

I guess PSMove made Wii's innovation invalid too.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Smear-Gel said:
Jesus Christ.

You spent time explaining every PS4 "innovation" in great detail and told people to respect it, even if they don't like it personally, just to do the opposite and delegate 1 sentence remarks to the other two, just to dismiss them as gimmicks or whatever other insult you cooked up.

You don't need to undercut the innovations of the other two consoles to compliment those of Sony. You know when people need to insult other companies to say how much they like Nintendo games? I'm sure you hate that.

And the "anyone who disagrees are haters" crap. Come on dude.

I wanted to take this seriously. You had good points as to what Sony is doing. And then you screwed it up by, yes, being incredibly biased.

Also, Xbox One does many of the sane things but just copied Sony. PS Move is similar to Wiimote and it's "innovation that was developed at the same time but happened to come out later" according to the internet.

At least one person is going to calk me salty, but whatever.

Good post. Says everything I wanted to say but don't have time to because I'm at work :p

vivster said:
CommonNinja said:

Please explain how a device copying another makes innovation invalid. If anything it makes it more valid since adoption is one of the prerequisits for innovation.

You seemed to be confused. You stated before the PS4 released first and X1 copied. Both systems released at the same time.

How did X1 copy PS4? They announced their systems within weeks. While X1 did remove things... They didn't add anything different then announced initially befor launch. They have more recently added features and in some cases announced things before Sony. 

So.. Again. Not sure where you get this from. Both systems were in development years before announced. Both announced features that they still haven't made available. No one has really just copied the other.

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m

Or the innovation that only PS4 has the playstation controller, none of the competition has that :).

Around the Network
cpg716 said:
vivster said:
CommonNinja said:

You seemed to be confused. You stated before the PS4 released first and X1 copied. Both systems released at the same time.

How did X1 copy PS4? They announced their systems within weeks. While X1 did remove things... They didn't add anything different then announced initially befor launch. They have more recently added features and in some cases announced things before Sony. 

So.. Again. Not sure where you get this from. Both systems were in development years before announced. Both announced features that they still haven't made available. No one has really just copied the other.

while techincally correct,   because all you stated was "withing weeks"  which can imply an infinite number of weeks.  its not just a few weeks, its 3 months

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

Ps4 is awesome so glad I picked it over x1

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Vena said:

1.) Right now, PS+ has been giving them much needed dividends on the company's teetering-on-disaster quaterly reports. Money to run PSNow is money Sony is not seeing to help pay off their massive debts from things like the PS3 or their other departments.

If PSNow doesn't see them quick returns in a short time and ends up with even more struggling on quaterlys, I will guarantee you it will be gutted in short order. OnLive has already failed at this, and I honestly don't expect PSNow to succeed at all. Emulators are free, widely available and understood nowadays, and PCs can run everything.

2.) Then this is new information for me. :D (I don't think I know of any one who would ever play a game with that type of massive input and return lag, but whatever. I'm actually going to be watching to see if this is even a worthwhile feature or nothing more than a talking point in the future. The reason it worked with NDS/3DS was largely due to proximity and your own machine handling much of the work, but with this and the distances involved the delays will be possibly attrocious.) 

Hmmm, your commenst are fast beginning to sound like you have a bias.

1. I dont know how you could have missed it, but the PS division is one of the few sony divisions that are profitable. Whats responsible for them bleeding money is mostly their Tv divison and other electronics divisions. Difference between this and online, is that services like online had streaming games to be their bread and butter. Game streaming should not be approached that way. It should be a niche feature, something for those that really want it and something that I am sure sony doesn;t expect there to be a lot of people doing. If for nothing else not everyone has the bandwith that will make it feasible for them. And if comparing emulators to this, then you really have no idea what PSnow is designed for. Don't even know what PCs being able to run everything has to do with this.

PSnow means that the PS4 doesn't have to have BC compatible hardware to actually be BC. And I do not know of any PC emulator that emulates PS3 games and even ultimately PS4 games. You heard of the PStv. Its a $99 box with a controller. That will support PSnow too. At some point, even if you own a samsung tv and no console at all the Tv will have support for PSnow. 

2. Again, you are really beginning to sound biased. I don't mind you having your opinion, but when you dismiss everything and attack it with very little to no basis before the thing is even out it makes one wonder. For those that have the bandwidth to enjoy this,  Share play will be the single biggest thing this generation. Get this, your friends can play any game you own while they dont own it. All your games. If being able to loan a game out to a friend was ever a thing, then this takes that to a completely different level. Granted, your milage may vary depending on you rinternet connection, but ts things like this that will make people want to have better internet connections. Kinda like netflix. If netflix could succeed, you really think being able to play games for free wouldn't? Hell, I am sure a majority of people will put up with whatever video artifacts they have to simply cause they are you know, getting it for free.

cpg716 said:

How did X1 copy PS4? They announced their systems within weeks. While X1 did remove things... They didn't add anything different then announced initially.  They had added features lately and in some cases announced things before Sony. 

Go away! You're ruining my point :P

You don't seem to have a lot of faith in Microsoft's software developers. I mean they announced the game recording and streaming 3 months after Sony. And after that they had another 4 months to implement it. There's some food for thought. I, for one, am not a MS hater so I believe they are capable of accomplishing such a feat :)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Intrinsic said:
Never said:
I don't think ps3.5 is a bad thing for Sony. Innovation isn't the only thing that matters.

The Wii U's gamepad gets silly amount of hate (From people who've never used one) but it is great and offers genuine gameplay improvements when utilised. Unlike streaming gameplay it's far far from a gimmick. The fact you could dismiss it whilst defending streaming gameplay is beyond me.

Kenect wasn't really used fully and now will be largely abandoned, but yes it was innovative. Being innovative involves taking risks with new things. Sometimes it doesn't work out but good for Microsoft for trying. Like with Sony's vr, we'll have to wait and see what xbox's cloud power can do in the future and what innovation it gives.

Some of Sonys online features are really nice. They have their strengths but there's no point being a blind fanboy in blindly dismissing the other consoles strengths.

Ever hear of something called the PS eye toy..... it was around during the PS2 gen. Kinect didn't innovate, they expanded on an already existing tech. Kinda like how sony expended on the N64 innovative analouge stick and put two on their controller instead of one, then went on to steal the vibrating controller idea from nintendo too.

As far as innovations in gaming goes, nintendo is by far the best. Though they do a lot of hit and missing or half ass a lot of their innovations but they still take the crown. This gen though, sony has been making making the most meaningful and used innovations so far. I do still feel that while sony innovates rarely, they really are good at fine tuning any existing innovation and making it better. Look at what they did with PS+, the move controller tied to a camera was a much better motion interface than the wiimote, though 3/4 years late lol. Then theer is VR, and with their move controller they pose to have the only VR device that can accurately simulate hands in a game.Then game DVR, the share button, etc...

As others pointed out there were other camera addons. But the kenect is a big step beyond all of them. Saying the kenect is just another camera addon is a bit like saying the invention of the car was just horse and cart without the horse or the light bulb was just a logical refinement of the candle. Hell, the invention of the wheel was just a square with the corners cut off.