By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 is the most innovative 8th gen console by a mile. haters be damned!

Vena said:
Intrinsic said:

Thing about PSnow is that its still in beta and it ssomething that doesn;t have to take off overnight. I just think that its good to know that its there and maybe sometime down the road it will actually become an outlet for current gen game rentals too.

As for the innovations that are on XB1 too... in all fairness sony annouced them first :) 

For Sony... it sort of does need to make a profit and it has to take off quickly to really make returns on the R&D and server costs. They don't have the financial stability to sit around and wait for this to actually take off... and if other services are any indication, it may not turn into anything but a massive failure.

As for the list... Share Play was/is already on the NDS/3DS for multiplayer games. VR existed ages ago with virtual boy.

Nope, it doesn't. Thats because Gaikai which was bought by sony and is now part of the PSN/SEN family gets its money primarily from the same place every other SEN affiliate does. Digital sales and PS+ subscriptions. PSnow as a service is not a necessity. Its just a bonus. Sony would be just fine with or without it. If they were so dependent on it being a success, they wouldn't have it full of last gen titles and be putting up current gen titles on there instead.

Right now, PSnow is just a way to extend the life of older titles without having to remaster everything and ultimately put playstation content in the hands of people that don't have any playstation console.

As for your take on the list, share play for multiplayer games on a handheld is very different from share play on the PS4. on the PS4 any of your friends can play any game you have off your console. And as for VR, with thinking like that then everything was done at some point. And believe me when i say VR today and virtual boy has nothing in common besides that you wear something on your head. 

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

Nope, it doesn't. Thats because Gaikai which was bought by sony and is now part of the PSN/SEN family gets its money primarily from the same place every other SEN affiliate does. Digital sales and PS+ subscriptions. PSnow as a service is not a necessity. Its just a bonus. Sony would be just fine with or without it. If they were so dependent on it being a success, they wouldn't have it full of last gen titles and be putting up current gen titles on there instead.

Right now, PSnow is just a way to extend the life of older titles without having to remaster everything and ultimately put playstation content in the hands of people that don't have any playstation console.

As for your take on the list, share play for multiplayer games on a handheld is very different from share play on the PS4. on the PS4 any of your friends can play any game you have off your console. And as for VR, with thinking like that then everything was done at some point. And believe me when i say VR today and virtual boy has nothing in common besides that you wear something on your head. 

PSNow will cost them money to run, bonus or not. The streaming will actually be incredibly expesive as well as maintaining the servers necessary to run everything. Fact of the matter is if it doesn't take off and get them returns it will be very short-lived unless they want even more disasters in their portfolio which they cannot afford at this point.

My point with the comment about share play on old systems is that... it was on old systems. It worked perfectly well back then and still does. What is happening now is not really innovation, its extension on already succesful innovation that came before it. (Also correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Share Play only for Co-Op stuff? Its not them just being able to play your game entirely.)  As for VR and VBoy, the reason I brought it up was because its an example of attempts on VR that were already done. Occulus Rift is another, probably better, example I could have made.

Agreed. In terms of software features, PS4 is taking some big leaps forward.

Never said:
I don't think ps3.5 is a bad thing for Sony. Innovation isn't the only thing that matters.

The Wii U's gamepad gets silly amount of hate (From people who've never used one) but it is great and offers genuine gameplay improvements when utilised. Unlike streaming gameplay it's far far from a gimmick. The fact you could dismiss it whilst defending streaming gameplay is beyond me.

Kenect wasn't really used fully and now will be largely abandoned, but yes it was innovative. Being innovative involves taking risks with new things. Sometimes it doesn't work out but good for Microsoft for trying. Like with Sony's vr, we'll have to wait and see what xbox's cloud power can do in the future and what innovation it gives.

Some of Sonys online features are really nice. They have their strengths but there's no point being a blind fanboy in blindly dismissing the other consoles strengths.

Ever hear of something called the PS eye toy..... it was around during the PS2 gen. Kinect didn't innovate, they expanded on an already existing tech. Kinda like how sony expended on the N64 innovative analouge stick and put two on their controller instead of one, then went on to steal the vibrating controller idea from nintendo too.

As far as innovations in gaming goes, nintendo is by far the best. Though they do a lot of hit and missing or half ass a lot of their innovations but they still take the crown. This gen though, sony has been making making the most meaningful and used innovations so far. I do still feel that while sony innovates rarely, they really are good at fine tuning any existing innovation and making it better. Look at what they did with PS+, the move controller tied to a camera was a much better motion interface than the wiimote, though 3/4 years late lol. Then theer is VR, and with their move controller they pose to have the only VR device that can accurately simulate hands in a game.Then game DVR, the share button, etc...

Vena said:

1. PSNow will cost them money to run, bonus or not. The streaming will actually be incredibly expesive as well as maintaining the servers necessary to run everything. Fact of the matter is if it doesn't take off and get them returns it will be very short-lived unless they want even more disasters in their portfolio which they cannot afford at this point.

2.  (Also correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Share Play only for Co-Op stuff? 

1. Ok, I will try and explain this. PSnow is currently running on existing servers. Its not something they think everyone will be using all the time. It uns on servers that are designed to handle the PSN. What primarily pays for those servers is PS+ and digital sales. PSnow is possible today and feasable for sony cause PS+ is kinda mandatory now. When people pay for PSnow content, that will pretty much be a bonus. I don't know how else to explain this to you. 

2. Yes you are wrong. SP isn't for only co-op games. You can let anyone on your friends list play anygame you have. Games don't even have to be coded specifically to use it. Its a system wide feature and not a game by game feature. Basically, your console just runs the games and sends out the video feed to your firned over your internet while reciving ur friends controller inputs over  the net to replace with would have been your controller inputs.

Around the Network

"Innovation"

As someone who gets this very word shoved down his throat every other day, no.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Intrinsic said:
  1. Ok, I will try and explain this. PSnow is currently running on existing servers. Its not something they think everyone will be using all the time. It uns on servers that are designed to handle the PSN. What primarily pays for those servers is PS+ and digital sales. PSnow is possible today and feasable for sony cause PS+ is kinda mandatory now. When people pay for PSnow content, that will pretty much be a bonus. I don't know how else to explain this to you. 

2. Yes you are wrong. SP isn't for only co-op games. You can let anyone on your friends list play anygame you have. Games don't even have to be coded specifically to use it. Its a system wide feature and not a game by game feature. Basically, your console just runs the games and sends out the video feed to your firned over your internet while reciving ur friends controller inputs over  the net to replace with would have been your controller inputs.

1.) It doesn't matter where its running. I wasn't trying to imply that it was going to require them to buy a server farm specifically (though they sort of did). Whether or not PS+ pays for it doesn't somehow remove the fact that that is money they are SPENDING. Right now, PS+ has been giving them much needed dividends on the company's teetering-on-disaster quaterly reports. Money to run PSNow is money Sony is not seeing to help pay off their massive debts from things like the PS3 or their other departments.

If PSNow doesn't see them quick returns in a short time and ends up with even more struggling on quaterlys, I will guarantee you it will be gutted in short order. OnLive has already failed at this, and I honestly don't expect PSNow to succeed at all. Emulators are free, widely available and understood nowadays, and PCs can run everything.

2.) Then this is new information for me. :D (I don't think I know of any one who would ever play a game with that type of massive input and return lag, but whatever. I'm actually going to be watching to see if this is even a worthwhile feature or nothing more than a talking point in the future. The reason it worked with NDS/3DS was largely due to proximity and your own machine handling much of the work, but with this and the distances involved the delays will be possibly attrocious.) 

todd2r said:
I dont think psnow is going to take off like people think. Pricing is a huge concern and most people's internet is hot garbage. The VR stuff is innovative but at what cost? Thats the real concern there. Also, most of your innovations are on Xbox One as well. But yeah, i mostly agree. Ps4 is great....Xbox too.

yea the vr and psnnow pricing r to high a price.

Nintendo and Sony both brought innovation into this gen, but both in different ways. The Wii U brought gameplay innovation and Sony brought social innovation.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Intrinsic said:
Never said:
I don't think ps3.5 is a bad thing for Sony. Innovation isn't the only thing that matters.

The Wii U's gamepad gets silly amount of hate (From people who've never used one) but it is great and offers genuine gameplay improvements when utilised. Unlike streaming gameplay it's far far from a gimmick. The fact you could dismiss it whilst defending streaming gameplay is beyond me.

Kenect wasn't really used fully and now will be largely abandoned, but yes it was innovative. Being innovative involves taking risks with new things. Sometimes it doesn't work out but good for Microsoft for trying. Like with Sony's vr, we'll have to wait and see what xbox's cloud power can do in the future and what innovation it gives.

Some of Sonys online features are really nice. They have their strengths but there's no point being a blind fanboy in blindly dismissing the other consoles strengths.

Ever hear of something called the PS eye toy..... it was around during the PS2 gen. Kinect didn't innovate, they expanded on an already existing tech. Kinda like how sony expended on the N64 innovative analouge stick and put two on their controller instead of one, then went on to steal the vibrating controller idea from nintendo too.

Game Boy Camera and Dreamcast Dream Eye came before Eyetoy.