By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 is the most innovative 8th gen console by a mile. haters be damned!

cpg716 said:

You seemed to be confused. You stated before the PS4 released first and X1 copied. Both systems released at the same time.

How did X1 copy PS4? They announced their systems within weeks. While X1 did remove things... They didn't add anything different then announced initially befor launch. They have more recently added features and in some cases announced things before Sony. 

So.. Again. Not sure where you get this from. Both systems were in development years before announced. Both announced features that they still haven't made available. No one has really just copied the other.

You seem to not grasp the concept of innovations or copying.

PSN copied XBL  and became PS+ > XBL GWG copied PS+ IGC

Sony didnt just announce game dvr, they put a bloody share button on their controller... 3 months before MS revealed theirs. In the tech world, who announces first, innovated.

After reading the bolded part, I can understand exactly why you are sounding the way you are :)..... also makes me realize this conversation is not going to go anywhere.

Around the Network
BeElite said:
I cant wait for Ps4 Vr, finally f the real world my ass is in the game.

GTVr Supra, Nurburgring.... i cum!

can you imqgine P. T.  on vr?,  jesus... 

Tamron said:
BeElite said:
I cant wait for Ps4 Vr, finally f the real world my ass is in the game.

GTVr Supra, Nurburgring.... i cum!

can you imqgine P. T.  on vr?,  jesus... 

That was their plan all along. You can be sure thet Sony already has some stakes in the pants manufacturing business because that demand will ramp up as soon as Morpheus and Silet Hills hit.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Shareplay is similar to the feature set on the original XB1 announcement. Only difference was a long with that you also could allow up to 10 people to play your full set of owned games on their xbox's for free with no limits on time. All the whining that gamers did, ruined what was truly going to be an amazing revolution in video game entertainment.

hsrob said:
Smear-Gel said:
Jesus Christ.

You spent time explaining every PS4 "innovation" in great detail and told people to respect it, even if they don't like it personally, just to do the opposite and delegate 1 sentence remarks to the other two, just to dismiss them as gimmicks or whatever other insult you cooked up.

You don't need to undercut the innovations of the other two consoles to compliment those of Sony. You know when people need to insult other companies to say how much they like Nintendo games? I'm sure you hate that.

And the "anyone who disagrees are haters" crap. Come on dude.

I wanted to take this seriously. You had good points as to what Sony is doing. And then you screwed it up by, yes, being incredibly biased.

Also, Xbox One does many of the sane things but just copied Sony. PS Move is similar to Wiimote and it's "innovation that was developed at the same time but happened to come out later" according to the internet.

At least one person is going to calk me salty, but whatever.

Good post. Says everything I wanted to say but don't have time to because I'm at work :p

There's two mistakes in it though, screw typing on my phone.

Around the Network

I was having this big argument with this dude today about PSNow and Share Play, which he just laughed at, as PSNow "costed" to much and Share Play only allowed 60mins. I know I'll never use PSNow, or Share Play but I do see the value in them, massive value.

I find PSNow to be excellent, you got to realize the cost of setting up all them PS3s with high bandwidth servers, the cost of maintenance, paying the games IP owner, the power usage, the space all these servers take up and the rest of it. Streaming a little old movie is dirt cheap when compared to it, so of course its going to cost a fair bit more, or even renting a physical copy of the game should be much cheaper, its not like your using bandwidth and the rest I listed above.
I also believe PSNow is more for the future then for gamers today, at the moment I see it only really being viable for those who don't own said console, only want to play the odd game now and then, or those who travel light (with no console) and many other reasons like such. But in the future where internet is super fast, and maybe consoles are extinct where are people going to play video games? Its from services just like PSNow, and we all know those who build such services first are those who are likely to own the market.

If your a true gamer, or just an avg casual gamer, it should be cheaper to buy the correct console & games then to keep on renting games. Least for the time being.

Share Play, I see the use of it for like, say I bought a new game and my friend asked "Hows that game dude!? I'm not sure if I want to buy it or not" I could be like "Here dude, I'll send you an Share Play invite so you can give it a little go" or I got Tekken 7 and my buddy who doesn't own the game, is keen for a jam so I send him a Share Play invite so we can both play while at completely different places! Now that type of stuff is awesome.

I don't see why I would let someone play on my PS4, all day long to finish a game in 720p with some latency. GO BUY THE DAMN GAME YOURSELF!

VR is huge, maybe not this gen, it'll start this gen but its totally going to take off one day when the headsets are super comfy and super light that you barely notice your wearing a headset. It'll happen.

bananaking21 said:
List of PS4 "Innovations"

-DVR capibilites. recording 15 minutes of gameplay and uploading them in a touch of a button. (XB1 only offers DVR capaibilites this gen along with PS4, WiiU doesnt)

- Streaming gameplay. streaming is big now, whether people accept it or not. (again, XB1 offers streaming, WiiU doesnt)

- Game Streaming (PS Now). for those who arent interested in the service, let me tell you this, i am not either, however you cant deny that this is something that PS4 offers, and the others dont. even after all those claims of MS with the "powa of da cloud".

- Virtual Reality. a completely new way of experiencing gaming, and so far, Sony is the only one doing it. whether you like it or not the potential of VR is huge, and PS4 is at the forefront when it comes to VR on consoles.

- Share Play. a wonderful feature that lets any of your friends play a game on your console through the internet. this is a first, new and awesome feature when it comes to sharing games, playing co-op or playing online together. and niether the XB1 or WiiU are doing it.

The only one of these that is a gameplay innovation in any sense, and that's the VR. And PS4's VR functionality isn't available, yet.

When people point to Wii U innovations, the first on the list is 100% about gameplay (Upad screen), and is the central feature of the system. Xbox One had Kinect built in, which is gameplay-oriented, and its cloud functionality is sold as something that makes games better. The PS4 list you've provided has, amongst its available features, TV-recording (DVR), video streaming (feature for people watching, but not for the player themselves), game streaming (alternate access to the game itself, but doesn't change the game), and share play (nice feature, but again it's not about gameplay, but about access).

They're gaming consoles. When we talk about innovations, we're talking gameplay innovations. And when measured as a gaming system, rather than a video-broadcasting system or a TV-recording system, the PS4 pretty much just has features from the PS3, at this point in time. This doesn't invalidate the system, it doesn't mean that it doesn't have some very nice features. But that doesn't make it "innovative".

No need to be defensive about it, by the way. Nothing wrong, really, with the system not being particularly innovative. If it provides gamers with games, it's a good system.

XSpike said:

I was having this big argument with this dude today about PSNow and Share Play, which he just laughed at, as PSNow "costed" to much and Share Play only allowed 60mins. I know I'll never use PSNow, or Share Play but I do see the value in them, massive value.

I find PSNow to be excellent, you got to realize the cost of setting up all them PS3s with high bandwidth servers, the cost of maintenance, paying the games IP owner, the power usage, the space all these servers take up and the rest of it. Streaming a little old movie is dirt cheap when compared to it, so of course its going to cost a fair bit more, or even renting a physical copy of the game should be much cheaper, its not like your using bandwidth and the rest I listed above.
I also believe PSNow is more for the future then for gamers today, at the moment I see it only really being viable for those who don't own said console, only want to play the odd game now and then, or those who travel light (with no console) and many other reasons like such. But in the future where internet is super fast, and maybe consoles are extinct where are people going to play video games? Its from services just like PSNow, and we all know those who build such services first are those who are likely to own the market.

If your a true gamer, or just an avg casual gamer, it should be cheaper to buy the correct console & games then to keep on renting games. Least for the time being.

Share Play, I see the use of it for like, say I bought a new game and my friend asked "Hows that game dude!? I'm not sure if I want to buy it or not" I could be like "Here dude, I'll send you an Share Play invite so you can give it a little go" or I got Tekken 7 and my buddy who doesn't own the game, is keen for a jam so I send him a Share Play invite so we can both play while at completely different places! Now that type of stuff is awesome.

I don't see why I would let someone play on my PS4, all day long to finish a game in 720p with some latency. GO BUY THE DAMN GAME YOURSELF!

VR is huge, maybe not this gen, it'll start this gen but its totally going to take off one day when the headsets are super comfy and super light that you barely notice your wearing a headset. It'll happen.

But from what i gathee from share play, if you let someone 'borrow' your game you cant be using your ps4 at the same time. Basically the same as letting someone over and use your ps4 because yoyre not using it.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

Based on the definition of innovation, I disagree.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I agree, playing on PS4 is a totally different experience to PS3.

I had a FIFA tournament with 9 of my coworkers and I was able to save every match in the HD. Really cool. I also sometimes enjoy watching other people play scary games or a game I'm interested in but not sure about.

I would add the touchpad to that list. Or the voice commands. Or being able to influence other people's game sessions.

Even though you might think each improvement is small, all of them together add up and make it a clear generational leap IMO.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.