By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 is the most innovative 8th gen console by a mile. haters be damned!

Terrible post ban OP

Around the Network
Mad55 said:
Terrible post ban OP

if mods were to ban me based on how many terrible posts i have i would be permabanned already. 

Vena said:

Never lead an argument to "bias" because that, more than anything, shows the paranoia of your talking points.

1.) PS division has only been profitable if you ignore the massive billion dollar loses its acrued and, subsequently, not actually recouped. They have only recently actually started being in the positive but they were, before, bleeding money on the PS3. As for the rest, yes those companies were one-trick-ponies but the fact of the matter is that there isn't exactly much of any demand for such services. Sony is marketting it very much as if they expect people to pick this thing up.

I am comparing emulators because, in this day and age, it doesn't take a spool of CAT5 to wire your TV to your computer or an entertainment mini-PC which will be able to play any and all games you may like, on your TV, in better resolution/response/rendering than anything that PSNow can ever hope to achieve. PSNow is not good backwards compatability because it is a streaming service (ie: bad quality presentation, control lag, and so on)... and it costs an arm and a leg. What you have there is a badly constructed talking point. You'd spend less money and have better quality gaming just buying a PS3 if you were so desperate for the library that Sony decided not to include with the PS4.

You should be well, aware, that I do hate the idea of consoles removing their older cataloges through the lack of BC.

2.) I did not dismiss it, I said it will be quite interesting to watch it possibly fail for very, very real reasons. Input lag is a killer when gaming because it only broods frustration. Its a very real thing.

Netflix is an non-interactive thing, the comparison is terrible. Might as well compare gaming to reading a book.

1. No doubt PS division lost billions thanks to the high costs of manufacturing a PS3. But from 2009 when they righted that ship they had been profitable till 2013 when the PS4 released. Any gaming company posts losses on the year of a new console release. As for your marketing the simple fact is that they aren't doing anything you are saying. They aren't marketing PSnow as if they expect people to pick it up cause its not only in a beta, but even sony has said they have to be cautious and slow with its implementation as to get things right. So don't know where you are getting your information.

And you still talk about emulation but fail to point out any kinda of PC rig on the planet that is currently able to emulate PS3/PS4 games so again I don't see how its relevant. And again, you seem to look at PSnow like its some essential killer app service, it isn't... its primarily about options. I understand that PSnow still has tons of technical hurdles to overcome, but again, thats why its in beta. And from how sony is pushing it, it may very well be in beta for the next 2 years.

2. Input lag is n issue no doubt, and yes it will be interesting to see how it pans out; I have no clue how it will be causeI have not seen the service in action and how good or bad it could be. I do not that a few people have an internet connection capabl of running things like that, and ultimately... barring your internet connection input lag can technically be brought down to standard online multiplayer levels. That is a technical possibility.

And no, a video streaming service (interactive or not) has more in common to a game streaming service with the only difference being that you also send or recieve controller inputs than reading a book.

None of the consoles are especially innovating. It's all small stuff, basically what we already knew for a decade but "better".

Most innovative yet PC still owning it arse!

Around the Network

They are nifty features but I wouldnt call them innovative.
They dont really change the way you play or shake up the gaming industry.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Intrinsic said:
  1. No doubt PS division lost billions thanks to the high costs of manufacturing a PS3. But from 2009 when they righted that ship they had been profitable till 2013 when the PS4 released. Any gaming company posts losses on the year of a new console release. As for your marketing the simple fact is that they aren't doing anything you are saying. They aren't marketing PSnow as if they expect people to pick it up cause its not only in a beta, but even sony has said they have to be cautious and slow with its implementation as to get things right. So don't know where you are getting your information.

And you still talk about emulation but fail to point out any kinda of PC rig on the planet that is currently able to emulate PS3/PS4 games so again I don't see how its relevant. And again, you seem to look at PSnow like its some essential killer app service, it isn't... its primarily about options. I understand that PSnow still has tons of technical hurdles to overcome, but again, thats why its in beta. And from how sony is pushing it, it may very well be in beta for the next 2 years.

2. Input lag is n issue no doubt, and yes it will be interesting to see how it pans out; I have no clue how it will be causeI have not seen the service in action and how good or bad it could be. I do not that a few people have an internet connection capabl of running things like that, and ultimately... barring your internet connection input lag can technically be brought down to standard online multiplayer levels. That is a technical possibility.

And no, a video streaming service (interactive or not) has more in common to a game streaming service with the only difference being that you also send or recieve controller inputs than reading a book.

1.) They lost many billions, and they have yet to recoup the actual losses despite having been in the positive in recent years. Sony as a whole is still in the red. Its not really a thing about posting losses, which is in general a true thing on release on new tech, its about how much Sony lost from the PS3 which was, bar none, a complete financial disaster. If the rest of Sony hadn't been around to pick up the slack, the PS division would have ceased to exist from such a debackle. Anyway, that's all I was referring to, the company as a whole is in financial dire straights and this is a service which is going to push on their already low funds. Even if you thik they are marketing it as a niche thing, which I genuinely do not believe at all (but it'd be best to let this go until we see more from Sony in the coming months), then maybe it is not as big a financial sink as I believe it to be. We'll see.

No one has sat down to make a PS4/X1 emulator yet, that doesn't happen until usually someone leaks the internal development environment. The PS3 is quite difficult to emulate indeed because you'd have to emulate the PPC hardware. But I was more referring to emulating everything else that is already available, and, if you're in such dire needs of the PS3 catalog, to just buy a PS3. You'd save fist fulls of money AND have a better gaming experience over PSNow. Some technical hurdles are not going to be overcome, its never going to look all that good because it is a streaming service and one that cannot be "pre-buffered" like Netflix. You cannot buffer interactive so either you need to consume vast amounts of data bandwidth to stream at high fidelity or you're going to be streaming at qualities that make the PS2 look good.
2.) Multiplayer doesn't have input lag because your machine is right there and takes the inputs immediately, multiplayer has bigger and very common issues of server desyncs and lag... which no one likes. These are usually easier to fix by getting better server bandwidth and/or more servers. In the case of Share Play, you're not giving commands to "right here" ever, its always signal being sent, received, sorted, sent out again, and then finally shown on screen. Unless Sony has wizards working for them, I do not see "smooth" being a descriptor of the experience.
The only difference? How about that Netflix can actually send packets of data pre-emptively and buffer it out behind the scenes? Gaming cannot do such a thing. Netflix and reading a book are more incommon than gaming is with either when it comes to streaming.

Meh, who cares about innovation.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Vena said:

Multiplayer doesn't have input lag because your machine is right there and takes the inputs immediately, multiplayer has bigger and very common issues of server desyncs and lag... which no one likes. These are usually easier to fix by getting better server bandwidth and/or more servers. In the case of Share Play, you're not giving commands to "right here" ever, its always signal being sent, received, sorted, sent out again, and then finally shown on screen. Unless Sony has wizards working for them, I do not see "smooth" being a descriptor of the experience.

The only difference? How about that Netflix can actually send packets of data pre-emptively and buffer it out behind the scenes? Gaming cannot do such a thing. Netflix and reading a book are more incommon than gaming is with either when it comes to streaming.

Ok, we settled on the first point, as far as this one goes, you make it sound like its impossible for stream based gaming to work. Don't get me wrong, I actually hate the idea of streaming games, but these absolutions you seem to be using to describe stream gaming is shallow at best. Yes, you can buffer netflix, doesn't mean there aren't people don't don't have an internet connection that makes them never even consider pre-bufferring content. Also doesn't eman that there aren't a fair numebr of people streaming games (even if just in beta) on the PS4 right now.

I mean if in 2005 you walked into a room and said "hey, lets stream games over the internet" they would laugh you outta the room. A company as big as sony, and I wouldn't be surprised if MS followed soon getting behind game streaming is exactly what services like that needs. We really don't know what or how streaming as a medium will be in another 3 years. But we at least can see that they have something working that people have in their homes right now.

List of innovations:

More power.
analog stick with peeling feature.

End of list.

Your list is a joke  right? you even add optional stuff like the VR headset rofl.