By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 is the most innovative 8th gen console by a mile. haters be damned!

famousringo said:
No, not really. Even if it were, it's a "world's tallest midget" kind of achievement.

Honestly, the XBox One was angling to be the most innovative console this generation, but it failed to create compelling software for Kinect, failed to create a compelling argument for consumers to accept its proposed change in business model, and allowed the whole project to be distracted by television of all things.

Unlike Microsoft and Nintendo, Sony came into this generation with no ambition, and so were able to successfully execute their boiled potato bland strategy. It certainly helps that brain dead boring is exactly what publishers want from game hardware.

If they have no ambition, they wouldn't even be in the business. It is absurd to think otherwise. I also wouldn't call it bland. They have an understanding and been humbled for their mistakes. They gave what everyone wants for a console. It doesn't need a bunch of bells and whistles. Their message is they are all about games. It worked for them and for good reason and they proved that is their number one priority. They also gave a system that is affordable for the power your able to achieve. They have gave people cross game chat that people clamored for. They talked to game developers to see what they wanted and they made the hardware developer friendly. They knew what they were doing all along. They still prove that is their message, especially when they announce new exclusives from developers that wasn't expected while most of their first party titles are hush hush still at this point.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
Mad55 said:
Terrible post ban OP

if mods were to ban me based on how many terrible posts i have i would be permabanned already. 

...............Damn....your right....my god. 

Keegs79 said:
famousringo said:
No, not really. Even if it were, it's a "world's tallest midget" kind of achievement.

Honestly, the XBox One was angling to be the most innovative console this generation, but it failed to create compelling software for Kinect, failed to create a compelling argument for consumers to accept its proposed change in business model, and allowed the whole project to be distracted by television of all things.

Unlike Microsoft and Nintendo, Sony came into this generation with no ambition, and so were able to successfully execute their boiled potato bland strategy. It certainly helps that brain dead boring is exactly what publishers want from game hardware.

If they have no ambition, they wouldn't even be in the business. It is absurd to think otherwise. I also wouldn't call it bland. They have an understanding and been humbled for their mistakes. They gave what everyone wants for a console. It doesn't need a bunch of bells and whistles. Their message is they are all about games. It worked for them and for good reason and they proved that is their number one priority. They also gave a system that is affordable for the power your able to achieve. They have gave people cross game chat that people clamored for. They talked to game developers to see what they wanted and they made the hardware developer friendly. They knew what they were doing all along. They still prove that is their message, especially when they announce new exclusives from developers that wasn't expected while most of their first party titles are hush hush still at this point.

Ambition to control the market, sure. Ambition to innovate, not really. The new features Sony has added to their online services are sustaining innovation at best, and tepid compared the innovations that Microsoft and even Nintendo gambled and failed to execute on. The only thing Sony has with real potential is their VR, but unless they really commit and execute on it, it will just be a me too product hoping to cash in on Oculus hype.

Even sustaining innovation should be enough for modest market growth. But the 8th generation seems to be 4 million units behind the last one. When Sony's fabulous "innovations" manage to actually grow the market, I'll gladly give them credit for it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

vivster said:
You don't have to mention the X1 all the time. PS4 released first, so they are the innovators. X1 released later, which shows they just copied everything the PS4 does.

Did ps3 copy the 360

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

It's an improved PS3.Nothing new , in a way.

Only the VR is innovative - but once again with Sony, it's not the first time it has been used in gaming. (Oculus Rift and the failed Virtual boy - due to bad technology at time lol.)

Around the Network

share play is the only that really appeals me.
Is like a DS/3DS download play, but through internet!

but i still love the wii u gamepad. not due gaming, but for usability.

kinisking said:
vivster said:
You don't have to mention the X1 all the time. PS4 released first, so they are the innovators. X1 released later, which shows they just copied everything the PS4 does.

Did ps3 copy the 360

Well yes. It did copy the ability to play games in HD.

Though they didn't copy a lot of other stuff like bluray or the camera or free online or cross game chat.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
kinisking said:
vivster said:

Did ps3 copy the 360

Well yes. It did copy the ability to play games in HD.

Though they didn't copy a lot of other stuff like bluray or the camera or free online or cross game chat.

They didn't copy HD gaming. That was always planned with the PS3 on the onset. Just because your first to the market doesn't mean you copied. Sony copied achievements with trophies because it was never invisioned by Sony. You can argue there has been a lot of copied back in forth such as Sony also copied the party system. Cross game chat was only on the 360. I wouldn't even say either copied each other with the share features. It seemed what they both had invisioned for their consoles. There is a lot of this and that back and forth. Microsoft even had plans for a share play feature when their system was going to go online only. If Microsoft implemented it, would consider that copying? I wouldn't. I would simply say they shifted their priorities and they always said those and other past ideas are still on the table.

Frankly, I like copying. I like the best ideas on both consoles.

PS4 just does everything it does well. Wii U is still more innovative i find. The gamepad hasn't really been done far and Nintendo has done some decent features with it. I care more about that then the built video capture which i'll never use on the PS4 or the VR which means buying the expensive morpheus to use. PS Now is a huge ripoff too. And we've let to see share play but that could be truly something

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

vivster said:

Well, we can't say they copied because they announced it some months later. Hardly time enough to add share and DVR capabilities. But I really wonder that, with 2 consoles so similar and with a lot of features in common, we had a lot of infos being leaked from one side to the other during the hardware development stage.