By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bloodborne to be less 'punishing' aiming for a 'wider audience'

That's what they said about dark souls 2. If they keep dumbing down each subsequent iteration of this series they run the risk of alienating the fanbase that made it possible for them to make sequels in the first place.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
DerNebel said:

I meant this more in general, since you keep commenting saying that the demo was easier than the past Souls games.

Colin Moriarty is a huge PS fanboy, he was always going to be very positive about this.

he is a ps fan not a fanboy , sometimes i think he is too damn harsh and he complains about stuff all the time , if he didnt like bloodborn you bet he would tell that.

I'm sure he liked Bloodborne, I'm sure most that played it liked it, but that doesn't mean that he can't be a little too enthusiastic in his preview and maybe paint the demo a little harder than it actually was, even the Dev said that they toned down the difficulty for the showfloor.

Here's my question, does this have rich RPG elements like Dark Souls 2? ( I didn't play the original )

From everything I've seen it looks more like a "hack 'n' slash" action game.

Pretty much it seems like the writer for that article was hot garbage at playing. The appeal of Souls games is the difficulty. Alienating the fan base in hopes of attracting a new, wider audience is a terrible practice and hopefully Miyazaki puts his foot down on the difficulty.

In the Japanese 4Gamer interview Miyazaki said he was leaving the difficulty slider where it was because you could only increase difficulty so much and wanted to find a new tool to engage players and make them feel like they're fighting for their life.

This all said, you filthy casuals are the reason Souls fans can't have nice things. If this game really is as dumbed down as it seems and it takes off in a manner greater than Souls games, you'll never see a difficult title again from From. Has it never occurred to any of you losers crying about how the other games punished you too much to "get gud"? Or maybe that the series just isn't for panty-wastes?

It would be like if God of War fried to appeal to a larger audience by changing Kratos into a skinny jeans wearing kid with emo hair. Nobody that likes the games wants that, and the people who would should probably find a new game to latch onto instead of ruining one that's established.

Bloodborne is a new IP but you're blind if you think the Souls franchise won't be affected by its success or failure, and the features that make it so.

cant wait for this game

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

As a DS fan I am ok with this. I love Dark Souls because of the enviroments, the exploration, the (somewhat) open world ability to tackle a few different instead of one. I love the boss fights and many of the original character designs and animations.

I also enjoy the difficulty, but not nearly as much as everything else. Players get to experience the epic monsters and battles but dont have to be really good or put too much time into the game to beat it. I have no problem if FROM wants to make a DS light as long as things dont stay that way with all the souls games.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

It isn't that Souls games are hard, it's that mainstream games are way too easy. This new generation of gamers are too soft. Why even bother gaming if everything is just handed to you with no effort whatsoever?

Hmm, that is a bit worrying. As long as they offer difficulty levels with AI becoming actually tougher (not just a HP and damage bump) then I'm ok. I am not a die hard, dark souls fan so its not a huge deal for me personally.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Take out the difficulty and sense of achievement and satisfaction when getting past an area or defeating a boss and you'll be left with a very mediocre game. There is no wider audience to appeal to here. I doubt many people are saying "well shit I'm really interested in dark souls because it has an amazing story but with that difficulty I'm just not buying it."

I've never touched a Souls game, but I've heard tons of things about it from a friend. He doesn't recommend it to me since he thinks I have a short fuse and I don't have the patience for it. I like how Bloodborne looks like. I don't mind hard games, but I'm pondering that if this game will be excruciating or not, and if it's the right game for me.