By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Spencer confirms: Tomb Raider deal "has a duration" (also cross gen)

Dark_Feanor said:
"Plants vs Zombies Garden Warafe" didn´t sparkled that much of a backslash.

Nor Dead Rising 3, nor Ryse, nor Sunset Overdrive...

The colorary is: "Microsoft can have third party exclusives only if no one care about them".

Microsoft can´t win. I admire them to try to fight in such a backward market.

A bunch of new IPs and games with not very big fanbases outside of Xbox vs a game from a series that has a pretty huge fanbase and history not on Xbox.

Totally weird that the Tomb Raider announcement created such a big backlash... -.-

Around the Network

MS's clarity of messaging is still atrocious then.

I can't say I have any interest in the title even though it is now coming to PS4. A cross gen title in 2016? No thanks

kowenicki said:
Ninsect said:
kowenicki said:
Ninsect said:

I was in that one thread. And I meant most MS fans in the thread. Even you here stated you wanted people to shut up about it. People were claiming MS somehow "won" gamescom due to this announcement, an announcement that now becomes almost irrelevant since it's timed.

there was only one fanbase reacting in a hive fashion... and you were one of them, despite "knowing" it was timed.

Are you saying I'm a bee? Yeah I knew it was timed but some people wanted to debate that with me. Turns out I only had to wait a few hours to be proven right. Gotta love that.

And you're wrong, there were plenty of PC gamers complaining as well. Heck, I'm a PC gamer and will play it on PC...I even said so in the thread.

Check out the brain on Pezus! 

This is a light hearted joke and a bit of banter by the way, just in case Cone is watching.

I mean, his name is Ninsect....

The Fury said:
ktay95 said:

Would have been beneficial had they not told us about its timed exclusivity. Now that we know that SQEX has the option at a later date most will just play the waiting game.

For some that might work out better, a game released 'later' on different platforms comes usually with additional extras plus is cheap. PC and PS gamers will get the game at a reduced cost maybe?

Most PS3 late ports from the 360 had extra content, so TR probably will too. 

Also, what happened to the first on xbox line they used at E3 for all their timed stuff? Seems they intentionally tried (and still kinda are trying) to mislead people.

Thanks jlmurph!

Around the Network
BreedinBull said:
Haha, did that thread with the "100% exclusive" in its title change it yet?

Yup.

VanceIX said:
Can people please stop acting like it's the end of the world now?

people with this mindset are the reason this industry is ging to shit. A loyal consumer base doesn't mean anything anymore and frankly people have accepted it.

Why are people upset? Because TR is a LONG (!) living franchise, that has always been on Playstation and PC. Tomb Raider 1 came out almost 2 decades ago (guess what, for PS1 and PC) and has always been multiplat. People never thought that a franchise like this could turn exclusive, never. Why would they? I think something like that has never happened to any other comparable franchise. So people who bought a PS4 or a better PC were probably fully expecting to get a TR sequel because there was absolutely no indication of it not going to happen, or only happening with a delay.

If this would become the norm basically every third party game could sudenly turn into an (timed) exclusive at any point as soon as a big company turns up with money in their hand. It is insulting to the user base and i cross my fingers that it is going to backfire, so that shit like that NEVER becomes the norm. Oh, you're waiting for CoD, BF4 or FIFA? Guess what, Sony payed us a ton of money and FIFA sold better on PS anyway, so screw you xbox players.

And it is obvious, that the game was originally planned as a multiplat title, otherwise they would have announced the deal right at E3, and not at the GC . So they were probably in talks with MS at that point, but nothing was finalized. S it is not comparable to Bayonetta 2 ... And I really don't understand why MS would actually go for TR. Do they really think people would drop Uncharted to get their hands on TR?

And if the timed exclusiveness is too long the game will sell like crap on PC/PS4 either way, because people feel as if they are buying an "old" game and maybe watched the shit out of let's plays already - which is enough for a lot of dudes.

If they came clear with this message yesterday, instead of claiming full exclusivity permanently, they could've saved the backlash and the bad community reception. And the fact that Crystal Dynamics blog post didn't help absolutely at all:

"Today’s announcement with Microsoft is one step to help us put Tomb Raider on top of action adventure gaming."

What exactly did this mean yesterday? If they want the series to be 'on top of action adventure gaming', they should make it available to the whole market, right? How can they be on top if they alienate more than half of their fanbase? But whatever... that was yesterday. But I dunno what's gonna happen to them if they release at the same time as Uncharted 4.

What a surprise

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Ssenkahdavic said:
kowenicki said:

Check out the brain on Pezus! 

This is a light hearted joke and a bit of banter by the way, just in case Cone is watching.

I mean, his name is Ninsect....

You're goddamn right

The One and Only

VizionEck.com