By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square enix just Killed a potentially huge franchise.

Smart move on MS though
This and the MCC might be the reason why I might pick up the Xbone.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Maybe its jut me but this does not look like a deal MS would be going to SE to cash grab. I am wondering if there was a pitch for a console partner to step in and help with development for exclusive rights. If exclusive is on the table, it would seem foolish for MS to turn it down for such a established franchise.

I doubt it. Square needs money. Multiplat profits cannot be replaced, MS has money and the silver though so they did convince square to bring FFXV and Kingdom Hearts to the Xbox One. They got SE to turn against exclusivity and then turn back against their stance again with Tomb Raider. They have them wrapped around their finger. Game will sell 2.5-3 M mil at the most or 1.5 M at the least. MS is going to pay for the rest.

How is this any different than whats going on with PS and Destiny? Oh wait that deals in favor of PS so its all good.

Tomb Raider won't die like that. Final Fantasy didn't die when SE switched from Nintendo to Sony, TR won't die here.

Fans will bitch and moan for a few months, and then the game will come out and people who like the franchise will purchase a One to play it. It may end up doing great.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

I will be surprised if this is a true exclusive. When Microsoft says exclusive they usually mean TIMED exclusive, which is a completely different thing. Microsoft would basically have to buy Crystal Dynamics to get a true exclusive.

Not saying it's impossible. Just I'll believe it two months after its on shelves and there's no word of porting it.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Machiavellian said:
Maybe its jut me but this does not look like a deal MS would be going to SE to cash grab. I am wondering if there was a pitch for a console partner to step in and help with development for exclusive rights. If exclusive is on the table, it would seem foolish for MS to turn it down for such a established franchise.

I doubt it. Square needs money. Multiplat profits cannot be replaced, MS has money and the silver though so they did convince square to bring FFXV and Kingdom Hearts to the Xbox One. They got SE to turn against exclusivity and then turn back against their stance again with Tomb Raider. They have them wrapped around their finger. Game will sell 2.5-3 M mil at the most or 1.5 M at the least. MS is going to pay for the rest.

If square needs money then it seems like getting funding for your project is even more relevant.  In other words, if square is looking for financing for projects, they make the decision which IP fits the bill.  Its like the EA deal.  People believe it was just MS and EA but you find out later that this was pitched to Sony as well and they turned it down. Another scenario would be Titanfall.  Again, Sony had a chance to help fund the project but left it on the table and MS stepped in.   If SE shopped around an exclusive deal for their game probably Sony and MS had a chance to make a bid.  Of course going toe to toe with MS on a straight deal does not favor Sony but it would be interesting to know how this deal actually went down.

VanceIX said:
Tomb Raider won't die like that. Final Fantasy didn't die when SE switched from Nintendo to Sony, TR won't die here.

Fans will bitch and moan for a few months, and then the game will come out and people who like the franchise will purchase a One to play it. It may end up doing great.

Do you really think people will buy the Xbox One only to play Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Who needs Tomb Raider when you have Uncharted? It seems to me every developer behind exclusives for XB1 have complained about sales.

Mr_No said:

Do you really think people will buy the Xbox One only to play Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Some people will do, because of just how popular Tomb Raider 2013 is with people.

What Microsoft need to do is really get behind the marketing for the title and hope to God that it will at least distract the mass market from the inevitable Uncharted 4 advertisement juggernaut that Sony will have planned.

Mr_No said:
VanceIX said:

Apperently, MS thinks so. They're in for quite a rude awakening.