By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square enix just Killed a potentially huge franchise.

random15 said:
Let's hope this doesn't damage the Tomb Raider franchise. I really loved the reboot, and if the game does end up coming later to the ps4 I will but it day one, of course it has to have all dlc included at least, just to support the franchise.

It is actually damaging the franchise. Take my case as an example: I have a PS4, and the Tomb Raider reboot has been the game on the top of my to buy list. I have actually never played a Tomb Raider game before, and I heard good stuff about the reboot, so I wanted to check it out. Well, not anymore. Square Enix can go screw themselves and I will never buy the reboot. I might also say, screw Square Enix on a general basis and never buy any games from them again, like FFXV, which ironically would be my first FF game as well. "But you're silly, missing out on some great games for such a silly reason" I hear people say. Well, I have missed out on many great games during my years as a gamer, and it won't be a problem to miss out on a few more here and there. I will be provided with a plethora of other great games from other companies, so a few misses here and there is no problem.

I am the kind of guy who buy a lot of games, support studios and publishers by buying from them just because it is a game made by them. A lot of my friends come to me for advice on games, because I am the guy who follow the industry closely. I guess I will not have the possibility to recommend Tomb Raidef to anyone in the future. 

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Lakai129 said:

You could glimps that if you look at the GTA V "pretended exclusive" after this year Sony E3 conference.

For a few minutes it apeared that it was a PS4 exclusive.

Please....how mature does this sound? Sony never made GTA V seem like it was exclusive. During the PS2 era Sony did pay for timed exclusivity of the GTA trilogy. Fifty million back then. Amazing how far that type of money went back then. Today that is chump change with all of the deals going on.

The 10 million sold through Sony announced really makes you wonder what S-E was thinking, by the time TR does come out the PS4 could be at nearly 24-27 million(and I think I'm low-balling it)

How can you miss out on install base that big(and that's not even including PC users)

Dark_Feanor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Let me just put it this way....Square was complaining when the game sold six million copies. It hasn't even sold two million between the 360 and the Xbox One while the game has sold almost 2.7 million on the Playstation 3 and 4 combined. The high sales of this game was a group effort amongst five platforms. Putting it on one platform is going to demand a lot of cash out of MS. 

Lets just say this...I hope they profit or else they could go under this gen for sure. This is too big a risk. Crytek almost went under making Ryse exclusive to MS and now they want to bring it to other platforms. This should've been their first decision in the first place.

You are using VGchartz numbers...

It does not include digital. Keep that in mind.

Crytek dig their own grave with bad planing and management. Ryse started as a 360 Kinect game and went to at least 3 revisions. It´s a  OK game but shows cleary every mark of a rushed development.

Also, Crysis 3 sold only about half Crysis 2 did.

And every body seems to forget that Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall (and Sunset OD) all follow a similar bussiness model as Ryse.

The model is pretty simple. MS pays up if they dont have much. Generally that is the case.

It's gonna be hilarious when they release the TR3 (or possibly TR2) on PS4 and wonder why no is buying it.

Around the Network
akuseru said:
random15 said:
Let's hope this doesn't damage the Tomb Raider franchise. I really loved the reboot, and if the game does end up coming later to the ps4 I will but it day one, of course it has to have all dlc included at least, just to support the franchise.

It is actually damaging the franchise. Take my case as an example: I have a PS4, and the Tomb Raider reboot has been the game on the top of my to buy list. I have actually never played a Tomb Raider game before, and I heard good stuff about the reboot, so I wanted to check it out. Well, not anymore. Square Enix can go screw themselves and I will never buy the reboot. I might also say, screw Square Enix on a general basis and never buy any games from them again, like FFXV, which ironically would be my first FF game as well. "But you're silly, missing out on some great games for such a silly reason" I hear people say. Well, I have missed out on many great games during my years as a gamer, and it won't be a problem to miss out on a few more here and there. I will be provided with a plethora of other great games from other companies, so a few misses here and there is no problem.

I am the kind of guy who buy a lot of games, support studios and publishers by buying from them just because it is a game made by them. A lot of my friends come to me for advice on games, because I am the guy who follow the industry closely. I guess I will not have the possibility to recommend Tomb Raidef to anyone in the future. 

Tomb Raider was rebooted to tell a cinematic story and have proper scene progression like Uncharted. It also tweaks the gunplay of Uncharted instead of being freer in movement like the Tomb Raiders of old. Sadly the story of Tomb Raider demands a massive suspension of disbelief. Its really mindless rambo fun with an injured chick who is losing her mind and starts remembering survival tactics her parents covertly taught her.

arcane_chaos said:
The 10 million sold through Sony announced really makes you wonder what S-E was thinking, by the time TR does come out the PS4 could be at nearly 24-27 million(and I think I'm low-balling it)

How can you miss out on install base that big(and that's not even including PC users)

you are low ballin, by then +40 million pS4s will be running hot.

HEMSTAR said:
It's gonna be hilarious when they release the TR3 (or possibly TR2) on PS4 and wonder why no is buying it.

If the reboot even makes it to a third installment now.

fluchtpunkt said:
I wonder how this thread looked like if Sony secured that deal...

Just look at all the negativity from Sony users here about all the indie timed exclusives Sony secured for PS4. I mean there are tons of threads about how "X publisher just killed a potentially huge franchise". I think the reaction would be the same.

On a more serious note, did STAGE just say Sony built Tomb Raider? LOL

LudicrousSpeed said:
fluchtpunkt said:
I wonder how this thread looked like if Sony secured that deal...

Just look at all the negativity from Sony users here about all the indie timed exclusives Sony secured for PS4. I mean there are tons of threads about how "X publisher just killed a potentially huge franchise". I think the reaction would be the same.

On a more serious note, did STAGE just say Sony built Tomb Raider? LOL

Started on PC...fanbase largely built on Playstation. Tomb Raider wasnt the only game either. MGS was another which started on Nintendo but was built on Playstation.