By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square enix just Killed a potentially huge franchise.

blessedswine said:
celador said:
Not gonna lie, I would love to see it flop. MS will put a major marketing campaign behind it though, so it won't

thats not true, they put huge campaign on Titanfall, and its at what just over 2 million on the X1 im not saying thats a failure but it sure as hell aint no homerun, i mean The Last of Us hit 1.5million in a 24 hours and that was a remake not a whole new game at a time when there were no games really to play, i do understand different genres and that The Last of Us is awesome but still.  putting Tomb Raider on X1 only was and is a dumb move, games right now are selling better on the ps4 it has almost a 2-1 lead in sales and i dont see that shrinking if anything it will grow or stay the same.  this was a very short term way to look at it for Squeenix cash now vs many more sales and growing the franchise anew.

When did TLOUR hit 1.5mil in 24 hours?

Around the Network
Vena said:
blessedswine said:
celador said:
Not gonna lie, I would love to see it flop. MS will put a major marketing campaign behind it though, so it won't

thats not true, they put huge campaign on Titanfall, and its at what just over 2 million on the X1 im not saying thats a failure but it sure as hell aint no homerun, i mean The Last of Us hit 1.5million in a 24 hours and that was a remake not a whole new game at a time when there were no games really to play, i do understand different genres and that The Last of Us is awesome but still.  putting Tomb Raider on X1 only was and is a dumb move, games right now are selling better on the ps4 it has almost a 2-1 lead in sales and i dont see that shrinking if anything it will grow or stay the same.  this was a very short term way to look at it for Squeenix cash now vs many more sales and growing the franchise anew.

When did TLOUR hit 1.5mil in 24 hours?

http://www.gamepur.com/news/15762-last-us-remastered-sold-15m-units-day-one-ps4-sales-just-short-hitting-10m.html

http://www.playstationgang.com/last-us-remastered-sells-1-5m-copies-ps4-reaching-10m-world-wide/

http://www.insiderp.com/the-last-of-us-remastered-day-1-sales.html

Danman27 said:

First comment. I never once said that. I'm saying, that I think it's stupid for a franchise that was previously all platforms to go exclusive, which alienates a large portion of the fans. Not false. 

Second comment. I don't get why people keep trying to draw parallels that don't exist between this gen and last gen. They're different generations. Just because the ps4 started out winning doesn't mean that it will end up losing like some people seem to think. That makes no sense. Each generation turns out differently. Could the xbox one eventually catch up and pass the ps4? Yes, it's possible. But ALL trends show that this won't happen at this point in time. The ps4 nearly doubles the xbox one's sales every single week. It makes no sense to assume that the xbox one is going to catch up at this point in time. You have to look at trends to make an educated guess, not just say, "well things could change!" If you had shown me when the wii had more sales than the 360 and ps3 combined, do you know what I would say? The wii is going to win substantially. But things changed. They may or may not change this gen. But no evidence currently suggests a shift despite Microsoft's best efforts. 

At the bolded comment. What are you even trying to say here? I feel like you're just trying to make your argument look more convincing by making it longer at this point.  Also explain the two comments after that. I legitimately don't know what you're trying to prove at this point. 

And finally. The 80% I was talking about. We can eliminate Nintendo from the equation because tomb raider was never going to actually go for that. With sony haveing double the sales of the xbox one,  66%  of the potential buyers would be on ps4. And this trend shows no sign of changing. Then when you factor in PC, you're easily alienating up to 80% of the previous fans of the game. 

I agree 100% that at normal situation exclusivity is not a very good idea. But it´s not the end of the world for God´s sake.

We don´t know how much money MS gave SE and at the end it could turn financialy bad for Microsoft if the game lacks traction sales.

Specialy if it´s timed. And it´s not the first time. Sony got Tomb Raider 2 out of Saga platforms. They got Final Fantasy out of Nintendo´s. They secured GTA 3 for the PS2 and MGS IV for the PS3.

Microsoft got Dead Rising 1 and 3, Titanfall, Splinter Cell Conviction, GTA IV expancions, etc...

I don´t think neither of those franchises are dead. Even Ryse could... rise from Crytek financial trobles.

Danman27 said:
Imaginedvl said:

I wonder why SE/Microsoft is not listening to all those Internet Pro Business Guys Haters/Ragers out there who seems to know way better than SE/Microsoft people about the impact of a business deal... Those IPBGHR people also seem to have all the inside information required about the actual deal to make a clear and very educated decision... Come on SE/Microsoft, what are you waiting for, listen to those guys!

Look at SE's past few decisions. I wouldn't exactly consider them good at business. SE is a dying company. Each thing they do adds another nail to their own coffin. 

You know what: they certainly took the time to analyse the impacts of the deal (whatever Microsoft is paying vs development cost + not selling it on other platforms) . And without knowing any details about the deal, it is kind of ludicrous for random internet experts out there to judge that deal (you know, the one nobody knows about).

The frustration is simple and very understandable, the game is not out on PC and other platforms, that's it. Everything else about how bad the deal is for SE is pure bullshit, esp. with the little knowledge people have about it (including if it is a timed or not).

They definitely may have. When this launches, and it does poorly, much more poorly than the first one, some heads are going to roll at SE for making such a poor decision. I mean you're making a game exclusive on a console where it sold the least copies? Yea, good going. This is almost as bad as if SE announced FF15 exclusive to the One.

What's most likely going to happen is a definitive version on PS4, with improved graphics and extra content. Of course, PS4 owners may just give SE the finger back, since they supported TR much more than One owners did. If that happens, SE truly killed what could have been the revitalization of a brand. And if they make more bad decisions like this one, I wonder if SE will even survive this gen.

Around the Network

Now that its confirmed to be timed, I can say that they haven't killed anything. We don't know how long it will be exclusive for. And being exclusive for a little while will help it become more popular on Xbox.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

The timed exclusive announcement is not gonna make any difference on me buying the game, but why didn't they say anything yesterday? They could've cleared this up immediately after the conference, but Crystal Dynamics rubbed salt on the wound with the blog post and created even more confusion.

blessedswine said:

http://www.gamepur.com/news/15762-last-us-remastered-sold-15m-units-day-one-ps4-sales-just-short-hitting-10m.html

http://www.playstationgang.com/last-us-remastered-sells-1-5m-copies-ps4-reaching-10m-world-wide/

http://www.insiderp.com/the-last-of-us-remastered-day-1-sales.html

Pretty sure this was not even remotely confirmed.

Will pick it up when it's free on PS+

#XboxDone