By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square enix just Killed a potentially huge franchise.

Imaginedvl said:

I wonder why SE/Microsoft is not listening to all those Internet Pro Business Guys Haters/Ragers out there who seems to know way better than SE/Microsoft people about the impact of a business deal... Those IPBGHR people also seem to have all the inside information required about the actual deal to make a clear and very educated decision... Come on SE/Microsoft, what are you waiting for, listen to those guys!

Look at SE's past few decisions. I wouldn't exactly consider them good at business. SE is a dying company. Each thing they do adds another nail to their own coffin. 

Around the Network
Danman27 said:

In yet another horrible business decision, Square enix has decided to make Rise of the tomb Raider an xbox one exclusive.

So let's look at this decision. The first game sold 6.5 million across 5 platforms. This was not the number that they wanted for the reboot of the franchise. So now, to remedy this, they're releasing it on one console? And at that the console with the fewest number of units sold. This decision literally only benefits Microsoft (which I think it was a good choice by Mircrosoft).

So how is this so horrible for them? This game probably would have seen a lot of success on 3 consoles. But now Square has decided to be bought out, for likely less than they'd make for releasing on all consoles, to be one console and alienate over half of their fan base? This in no way benefits them except in the short term. Now this game won't live up to sales expectations again, and over half the fans of the series will feel like they've been kicked in the balls. This further proves that Square isn't capable of making good business decision.

Sorry if a similar thread has already been made. I didn't see one, and I feel like this needed to be said. 

They are likely getting MORE money than they would with the sales on all the consoles or else they wouldn't do it. They just more than broke even with the last one according to SE. 

If you are a fan of the series what is to stop you from purchasing the X1? I'm not saying just the X1 for just the one game, there are other games coming to the console that must interest you as well. If you say no, than your bias it over coming your nature as a gamer. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Lakai129 said:
How is this any different than whats going on with PS and Destiny? Oh wait that deals in favor of PS so its all good.

Destiny isn't exclusive. I don't get why everyone keeps comparing 3rd party exclusives on xbox to Destiny. Destiny ISN'T an exclusive. I feel like that needed to be stated twice. 

Dusk said:
Danman27 said:

In yet another horrible business decision, Square enix has decided to make Rise of the tomb Raider an xbox one exclusive.

So let's look at this decision. The first game sold 6.5 million across 5 platforms. This was not the number that they wanted for the reboot of the franchise. So now, to remedy this, they're releasing it on one console? And at that the console with the fewest number of units sold. This decision literally only benefits Microsoft (which I think it was a good choice by Mircrosoft).

So how is this so horrible for them? This game probably would have seen a lot of success on 3 consoles. But now Square has decided to be bought out, for likely less than they'd make for releasing on all consoles, to be one console and alienate over half of their fan base? This in no way benefits them except in the short term. Now this game won't live up to sales expectations again, and over half the fans of the series will feel like they've been kicked in the balls. This further proves that Square isn't capable of making good business decision.

Sorry if a similar thread has already been made. I didn't see one, and I feel like this needed to be said. 

They are likely getting MORE money than they would with the sales on all the consoles or else they wouldn't do it. They just more than broke even with the last one according to SE. 

If you are a fan of the series what is to stop you from purchasing the X1? I'm not saying just the X1 for just the one game, there are other games coming to the console that must interest you as well. If you say no, than your bias it over coming your nature as a gamer. 

This isn't the point of what I'm saying. This thread isn't about me being "butt hurt" as some people have said. There was a 90% chance I wasn't going to buy this game in its first year. And there was only about a 50% chance that I was going to buy it at all. Especially with the fact that it's releasing alongside uncharted. All I'm stating is a fact that seems to be very apparent. They weren't satisfied with sales of the first game on FIVE platforms, do you think they're going to be satisfied with the sales on one? 

Danman27 said:
Dusk said:
Danman27 said:

This isn't the point of what I'm saying. This thread isn't about me being "butt hurt" as some people have said. There was a 90% chance I wasn't going to buy this game in its first year. And there was only about a 50% chance that I was going to buy it at all. Especially with the fact that it's releasing alongside uncharted. All I'm stating is a fact that seems to be very apparent. They weren't satisfied with sales of the first game on FIVE platforms, do you think they're going to be satisfied with the sales on one? 

Likely no. But it will be mutually beneficial for both MS and SE because MS has likely paid for the entirty of the game, at least to break even and any sales are icing on the cake for SE. But it could also mean a sales boost for the X1 which they are quite in dire need for. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

They surely received a good amount of green paper XD

MohammadBadir said:
They killed it? Did they kill Final Fantasy when they moved to Playstation?

No, they killed with FFXIII lmao.

While I won't say they killed anything, I will say that they at least marginalized their fan-base, and reduced total sales.

celador said:
Not gonna lie, I would love to see it flop. MS will put a major marketing campaign behind it though, so it won't

thats not true, they put huge campaign on Titanfall, and its at what just over 2 million on the X1 im not saying thats a failure but it sure as hell aint no homerun, i mean The Last of Us hit 1.5million in a 24 hours and that was a remake not a whole new game at a time when there were no games really to play, i do understand different genres and that The Last of Us is awesome but still.  putting Tomb Raider on X1 only was and is a dumb move, games right now are selling better on the ps4 it has almost a 2-1 lead in sales and i dont see that shrinking if anything it will grow or stay the same.  this was a very short term way to look at it for Squeenix cash now vs many more sales and growing the franchise anew.

Too good it is on X1 only! Not sure if it is good value!

I Want a WiiU Version with gamepad action!