By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square enix just Killed a potentially huge franchise.

but crytek did amazing with ryse

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Around the Network
fluchtpunkt said:
I wonder how this thread looked like if Sony secured that deal...

Well it would look different because PS4 is the best selling console of all time with an install base of 10 million already so doubts about the franchise being killed would be fairly low.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
HEMSTAR said:
It's gonna be hilarious when they release the TR3 (or possibly TR2) on PS4 and wonder why no is buying it.

If the reboot even makes it to a third installment now.

lol, well yeah time will tell :D

S.T.A.G.E. said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
fluchtpunkt said:
I wonder how this thread looked like if Sony secured that deal...

Just look at all the negativity from Sony users here about all the indie timed exclusives Sony secured for PS4. I mean there are tons of threads about how "X publisher just killed a potentially huge franchise". I think the reaction would be the same.

On a more serious note, did STAGE just say Sony built Tomb Raider? LOL

Started on PC...fanbase largely built on Playstation. Tomb Raider wasnt the only game either. MGS was another which started on Nintendo but was built on Playstation.

That has nothing to do with Sony, nor does Metal Gear Solid. Per usual you are extremely eager to lather Sony with credit for something they had nothing to do with. Saying Sony built Tomb Raider would be like saying the Chicago Bulls made Michael Jordan.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
akuseru said:
random15 said:
Let's hope this doesn't damage the Tomb Raider franchise. I really loved the reboot, and if the game does end up coming later to the ps4 I will but it day one, of course it has to have all dlc included at least, just to support the franchise.

It is actually damaging the franchise. Take my case as an example: I have a PS4, and the Tomb Raider reboot has been the game on the top of my to buy list. I have actually never played a Tomb Raider game before, and I heard good stuff about the reboot, so I wanted to check it out. Well, not anymore. Square Enix can go screw themselves and I will never buy the reboot. I might also say, screw Square Enix on a general basis and never buy any games from them again, like FFXV, which ironically would be my first FF game as well. "But you're silly, missing out on some great games for such a silly reason" I hear people say. Well, I have missed out on many great games during my years as a gamer, and it won't be a problem to miss out on a few more here and there. I will be provided with a plethora of other great games from other companies, so a few misses here and there is no problem.

I am the kind of guy who buy a lot of games, support studios and publishers by buying from them just because it is a game made by them. A lot of my friends come to me for advice on games, because I am the guy who follow the industry closely. I guess I will not have the possibility to recommend Tomb Raidef to anyone in the future. 

Tomb Raider was rebooted to tell a cinematic story and have proper scene progression like Uncharted. It also tweaks the gunplay of Uncharted instead of being freer in movement like the Tomb Raiders of old. Sadly the story of Tomb Raider demands a massive suspension of disbelief. Its really mindless rambo fun with an injured chick who is losing her mind and starts remembering survival tactics her parents covertly taught her.

Maybe that's why it's a (timed) xbox exclusive now? Seems to be a perfect fit for the average xbox fanbase. When they revealed the reboot i was actually interested but the more the showed the more i realized that it's going the direction you described and that's why i didn't buy it. From someone like SE i expect something with a good story. I'm not supporting them when they are going the mindless kill everything direction.

Around the Network

Loads of comments in this thread akin to that horribly funny FF13 comment from some guy on the GAF boards LOL.

Oh noes the franchise is d00med! SE shot themselves in the foot! Will there even be another release?

Here is what is going to happen:

TR releases on Xbone/360 in 2015, sells well
TR releases on PC/PS4/PS3 during spring, maybe summer of 2016, also sells well

SE doesn't take much of a hit on units sold, if any at all, AND gets dat Microsoft cheddah boo and marketing.

Two main factors to take into account here:
1. Most gamers couldn't care less about the shit we argue about on here. They won't know or care that it got a timed exclusive deal.
2. Uncharted is probably out in 2015 around the same release date as TR. It's probably a good thing it will get a later release date, same as Sony did with The Order.

Interesting. I wonder if Sony is pumping so much of their cash flow into indie developers that they are leaving stuff on the table for MS to pick up from the established franchises or publishers. You have EA only doing EA Access on the X1 while Sony says they denied it. You now have SE making an exclusive Tomb Raider game on the X1. In other scenarios, it would benefit the publisher to have their services or games on the Sony platform, especially with the sales numbers.

People seem to think that it is just free for a game to release on additional consoles. It is far from it, with additional programming costs, server costs, advertising costs. Additionally, people would be astonished what Microsoft and Sony are willing to pay for exclusive rights to a game. For example, Microsoft paid $75 million just to get GTA IV onto their console. A game that still only has 11 million lifetime sales (on Xbox). That is almost $7 for every single copy sold. I realize that GTA is a higher profile game, but it goes to show that sometimes the amount paid for deals like this can actually be a pretty good chunk of money when you look at it as a dollar amount per game sold.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I was about to compare this to Bayonetta 2 in it's defence, but realise the situations are different. Potentially cutting off half the fanbase was necessary to keep the game alive.

I'm unsure if this was the case for this Tomb Raider. If it wasnt then that really does suck eggs.

Maybe its jut me but this does not look like a deal MS would be going to SE to cash grab. I am wondering if there was a pitch for a console partner to step in and help with development for exclusive rights. If exclusive is on the table, it would seem foolish for MS to turn it down for such a established franchise.