By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Top 10 reasons I hate the new Pokemon.

Black and White were great game. I agree that D/P were the weakest. Not onl the legendary were very forgettable, but as a whole, the strategy weren't as deep as in the last two games and the in game world was not as good as the three first generations.

Around the Network

I loved the original Pokemon games despite their flaws and sadly, not only do these same flaws persist but more have been added over time. It's an utter shame that the series never evolved into a top tier RPG the way it really should have.

prayformojo said:

Being 34 years old, I was too old when the first game came out to even play it so for me, NONE of them are any good and I have never understood why people think otherwise lol

I feel like I've come to only like Pokemon for it's potencial to spawn the greatest game ever made. I like them all, and Pokemon is my favorite franchise, but none are ever "that game."

Chevinator123 said:

Pokemon needs massive change, it needs to evolve into a more traditional full 3D openworld RPG game. (preferably on console) (possibly a MMO, although that might be to ambitious)

They cant just keep doing the same stuff over and over again. more and more generations of pokemon is just making it worse, its so overwhelming, hundreds of completely forgotten/useless pokemon in the game.

If they make new generations of pokemon they need to completely remove the old ones from the game, would be much better imo.

I'm not a fan of the series myself, however:

If they did what you suggested, there would likely be a lot of fans that would complain that they are changing the forumla. Kind of like Zelda......

And while I see what you're saying, why does everything need to be "open world"? Just curious, because that terms seems to be getting thrown around for almost every type of genre nowadays.

prayformojo said:

Being 34 years old, I was too old when the first game came out to even play it so for me, NONE of them are any good and I have never understood why people think otherwise lol

I'm 38 years old and started recently playing Pokemon. And I'm happy and I think that are great games. Because they really are old-school-RPGs: you have a party, you can choose between classes (more than 700 currently), you can have differing character-builds (different Pokemon of the same sort can have different stats at higher levels and different attacks) and it is turn-based. To get good at it you have to do a lot of exploring, a lot of thinking and a lot of trying - just in the good old classic RPGs. So I really can't understand your position.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
prayformojo said:

I'm 38 years old and started recently playing Pokemon. And I'm happy and I think that are great games. Because they really are old-school-RPGs: you have a party, you can choose between classes (more than 700 currently), you can have differing character-builds (different Pokemon of the same sort can have different stats at higher levels and different attacks) and it is turn-based. To get good at it you have to do a lot of exploring, a lot of thinking and a lot of trying - just in the good old classic RPGs. So I really can't understand your position.

When Pokemon first came out, both of us were in or freshly out of highschool. I don't know how it is these days in the US, but back in the 90's, teenagers weren't sitting around with GBCs and playing Pokemon which was a "kids" thing back then. I was busy hanging out with my friends, drinking and chasing girls. 

I think the vast majority of Pokemon fans these days are 20 somethings that were kids back then and actual children now. I would bet money that people our age are under 1% of the fanbase. It's just not OUR generation. 

Having said that, I don't think any of those reasons should exlcude someone from trying it, and possibly liking it. But for ME, personally, it's just outside of my relm. I could get past the little kid image (after all, I love Pikmin), but the gameplay (or what little I know of it) just doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I've play Pokemon Rumble on the Wii, and I thought that was decent, but that game is a side story type of deal and doesn't play like the main games. 

Also, I don't prefer handhelds. 

prayformojo said:
Mnementh said:
prayformojo said:

When Pokemon first came out, both of us were in or freshly out of highschool. I don't know how it is these days in the US, but back in the 90's, teenagers weren't sitting around with GBCs and playing Pokemon which was a "kids" thing back then. I was busy hanging out with my friends, drinking and chasing girls.

I think the vast majority of Pokemon fans these days are 20 somethings that were kids back then and actual children now. I would bet money that people our age are under 1% of the fanbase. It's just not OUR generation.

Having said that, I don't think any of those reasons should exlcude someone from trying it, and possibly liking it. But for ME, personally, it's just outside of my relm. I could get past the little kid image (after all, I love Pikmin), but the gameplay (or what little I know of it) just doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I've play Pokemon Rumble on the Wii, and I thought that was decent, but that game is a side story type of deal and doesn't play like the main games.

I played PC back then. And as I said, your reasoning is OK why we not started it back then, but as I explained I just got into the series and it is fun.

Hmm, there is reason to like and reason to hate to play on handhelds. I do play handhelds and home console. But this gen - the 3DS simply has the best games of all five, and I mean really great games. There is no question, especially if you like RPGs (and I do), there is no way to avoid the 3DS:

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
prayformojo said:
Mnementh said:
prayformojo said:

I played PC back then. And as I said, your reasoning is OK why we not started it back then, but as I explained I just got into the series and it is fun.

Hmm, there is reason to like and reason to hate to play on handhelds. I do play handhelds and home console. But this gen - the 3DS simply has the best games of all five, and I mean really great games. There is no question, especially if you like RPGs (and I do), there is no way to avoid the 3DS:

I have owned every handheld Nintendo has released apart from the GBC because my GBA handled those games and plus, like I said, not much gaming in highschool. But I don't play them that often compare to my consoles. I just got a Wii-U MK8 bundle a couple weeks ago and I've logged in so many hours between Pikmin and MK8, it's ridiculous.

The 3DS is a great little device but I like the immersion that a big screen provids a little more. If there was a 3DS player on the market that would allow me the ability to play 3DS games on my TV, I'd be at the store hoarding every good 3DS title I could get my hands on but there is no such device. 

Interesting. I think Pokemon Y was amazing for it's 3D world and Pokemons, the gameplay is mostly the same but the Kalos region is pretty nice and the music was not bad not great either. I did like the more friendly rivals because seriously, why do we need another bad replication of Gary, or Blue if you prefer.

These rivals actually (tho scripted) help you through out the story and are mature enough about Pokemon battles and the rivalry between you and them. BUT THEN I HAD TO FIND OUT THAT THERE IS NO MEGA EVOLUTION FOR SNORLAX... I MEAN WHAT!? FUCK THIS GAME!