By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles would benefit at running games 720p instead of 1080p.

hardly any increase in clarity between 720p and 1080p? i stopped reading at there

Around the Network
swbf2lord said:

Not that it really can.

Enlighten me. Cause there are only 3 games that aren't 1080p, and they're poorly optimized cross gen multiplats.

The main problem with how you are thinking about all this is that you do not understand how graphic rendering works. Dropping a games resolution from 1080p to 720p doesn't even come close to doubling the amount of power you have to do anything else.

Resolution is affected more by memory bandwidth than it is by processing power, its impact on the demands of the complete render engine is probably less than 5%. Thing is though that a number of other factors are also mostly affected by memory bandwidth. To increase processing power resources you have to take away things that well, are entirely dependent on processing power.

Think about it this way. The GPU draws on a sheet of paper. This sheet of paper is made up of pixels. If the GPU uses 5% of its power to draw on 1080p pixels it will use about 50% less power to draw on 720p. So for 720p it will use around 3% of its power. Makes you wonder why the XB1 has so many issues rendering 1080p right? As I said earlier, the problem is memory bandwidth.

Those 1920x1080 pixels take up a certain amount of space. ALL THE TIME. So space is made for it in memory for every single frame refresh. Problem is, there are a lot of other things that also reserve memory for frame refreshes along with it. When all these things add up, a games frame buffer can hit some really big numbers and you need very fast memory to be able to move that frame buffer at 30fps/60fps. 50MB becomes a big deal when you have to move it around 30/60 times every second while still leaving enough mem bandwidth to do everything else too.

This is a very very simplified explanation of how this works, and I hope you can understand it better. Would say more but that would just be too long.

swbf2lord said:
Raziel123 said:
Lower resolution would only have a very minor benefit in frame rate
30fps games would still be 30fps games
last gen stuck at 720p was enough. Consoles need to keep up with the times. Bad enough that Wii U doesn't do it. Let PS4 champion it.

Not that it really can.

Nope.... needs more salt.

*Double post*. My bad.

lol nah

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

Around the Network

Higher resolutions can be useful in certain games where viewing objects over long distances are important. If you can achieve 1080p res whilst keeping frame rate and visual fidelity at acceptable levels then that's preferable to lower native resolutions. Don't see what the problem is with trying to achieve the highest standards possible..

I am against this. I can't go back to 720p.

4 ≈ One

by this and more, I'm a pc gamer

please follow and/or share my project!!!  :) http://igg.me/p/854307/x

I'm fine with 720p on consoles. For PC it's minimum 1080p because I sit a lot closer to the screen and anything sub-fullHD looks horrid. Plug my PC into my big screen though and from 3 metres away the difference is honestly difficult to tell for me. Anything less than proper 720p on TVs is noticeably blurry though.

lol.. what an argument. Try to watch a DVD at 480p and then the same movie in a BR disc at 720p, and tell us if you see no differences. Even better set the video output of your PS3/X360 to 480p and then suffer!