By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles would benefit at running games 720p instead of 1080p.

That picture of FF13 wasn't rendered at native 480p and it would look much worse if it was. I think most people would agree that there is a big difference in clarity between 720p and 1080p even if all "graphical settings" were identical.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

Here's two images of FF13, one taken at 480p, the other at 720p.  Because my current motherboard is too small to hold my capture card I used a passthrough device which adds AA, so there's a bit more blur than there would be on your tv but also less jaggies.  These images were full resolution, but also photobucket downscaled the image resolution when uploading.  Going from 480p to 720p is more noticeable than going from 720p to 1080p, and it's still hardly a difference. 

What's the point of a screenshot comparison, when the screenshots have been altered and the 720p-shot is downscaled to 480p? If photobucket downscales the screenshot, use another host!

PC is always going to be stronger, chasing after that standard is counter productive.

Besides, running games in 1080p and 60fps produces far greater looking results than any equal (performance wise) costly increase in asset detail.

SubiyaCryolite said:
That picture of FF13 wasn't rendered at native 480p and it would look much worse if it was. I think most people would agree that there is a big difference in clarity between 720p and 1080p even if all "graphical settings" were identical.

Actually, that image "was" rendered at 480p.  It looks even worse in the image because the pass through device I had to use in order to take it, due to not being able to use my capture card because not having enough space on my motherboard with a new graphics card, adds AA to the image.  It removes the noticeable jaggies that were there, but it makes it look much blurrier.  The image looks worse. 

I don't have a CFW PS3, otherwise I'd take the image that way. 

Why would I want that on my Panny 60vt60. If I had some shitty Samsung 120hz led then it would be whatever.

Around the Network

You mean sales of gaming pcs would benefit if consoles go back to 720p.

Going back to GT6 I already see a big downgrade in resolution and that runs in 1440x1080. It depends on the game ofcourse. For fast racing I like to have a clear view of what's coming up in the distance. If you like slow moving third person games and are always focused on your character right in front of you, then 720p to 1080p isn't that much of a difference. Infamous SS blurs the distance, not the best showcase of 1080p, yet the effects still look a lot better than if they were rendered in 720p.

After seeing native 1080p coming out of consoles it's hard to go back to the softness that upscaling introduces in the image. Btw have you recently watched any 480i content on your 1080p LCD screen? Some blu-rays have extras ported right over from the DVD, looks horrible.

Raziel123 said:
Lower resolution would only have a very minor benefit in frame rate
30fps games would still be 30fps games
last gen stuck at 720p was enough. Consoles need to keep up with the times. Bad enough that Wii U doesn't do it. Let PS4 champion it.

Not that it really can.

I really think 1080p on consoles is well overdue, and the fact that were even discussing this proves that we have gotten used to (relatively) low graphics.

I've always seen very little difference, but I've always felt that's because graphics mean so very little to me after a certain point. I really couldn't care less if a good game is 720 or 1080. I would actually prefer 720 if it cut down on stutters or improved frame rate/slowdowns.

Graphics are the absolute lowest tier on the hierarchy of what makes a good game, so it's pretty sad that people will make such a big deal of it. That said if I can have better visuals for the same price/effort and without compromising other aspects, sure I want the better package.

720P 60FPS>1080P 30FPS. But having said that, who cares? Why SHOULD we care? I don't recall playing Pacman in the arcades when I was 5 going "gee, this shit needs more frames per second."