By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles would benefit at running games 720p instead of 1080p.

I dont care about resolution, I only care about FPS.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network

Here's the frame rate affect described by digitalfoundry...

Performance compared to PS3 is night and day. Infrequent drops to 50fps (with 46fps being the lowest on record) are the worst of it, most notably during the initial Bloater boss battle. There are occasional dips besides this around flooded inner-city areas, but the experience is predominantly on the 60fps line. Compared to the PS3, with its variable 20-30fps readout, we're looking at a frame-time reading that sticks largely to a sharp, responsive 16ms, while the PS3 routinely dips as low as 50ms.

All of which makes the last-gen version respectable to look at, but less so to control once you've enjoyed the fluid playback of the PS4 version. It's tempting to say that there's no going back, and this is especially true of multiplayer. Dips are limited to heavy Molotov cocktails exchanges involving multiple players - but the game benefits to no end from the boost in control response. For those that have tapped into the Factions mode's competitive delights, this is by far the biggest advantage of making the jump to the remastered release.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-last-of-us-face-off

Lower resolution version still respectable to look at (contrary to all the OMG my eyes bleed at the disgusting pixellated crap that is 720p. Yet the frame rate means you wouldn't want to go back to the PS3 version.

Seriously guys, frame rate vs resolution isn't even a debate.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.