By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles would benefit at running games 720p instead of 1080p.

Captain_Tom said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I honestly don't know what you're saying here.

BF4 on console was a hastily done port.  Saying the X1 version looks better thn the PS3 isn't saying much considering they both use crappy settings.  However Ultra looks a lot like medium (For most of the settings) unless you play above 900p.

I'm confused by this argument. Even at 720p the differences between medium and ultra settings are noticeable. In medium settings the textures get muddy, shadows are missing, there is more pop-in, etc.

Regardless if both use "crappy settings," the X1 version still has vastly superior visuals and a significantly higher frame rate.

The X1 version ain't bad for a rushed product.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

Infamous Second Son is an amazing looking game that runs at 1080p@30+fps, but sooner than later, we're going to hit a wall, and it almost seems like we already have where PC games look better  than their console counterpart with all the graphical effects added running at the exact same resolution.  

But the thing is, why should consoles run at 1080p with barely any increase in clarity compared to 720p, when they could run it at 720p and basically double the amount of power that they can push towards graphics?  Whether you are running the game at 480p, 720p, or 1080p, the resolution increase is going ito be nothing compared to the graphic effect increase they can put into the game.  Or run the games at 720p@60fps and still have the extra power to push better graphical effects from the games.

This way the PS4 and Xbox One can stay comparable to the PC graphically, even if resolution and maybe framerate can't compete. 

With console games, resolution is hardly a difference.  With all resolutions on consoles, it's the exact same image with more pixels put into detailing that image.  So you get an image with less jaggies and a bit more clarity.  With PCs some games have that same resolution change, but PCs also have games that at a lower resolution the image viewed may have the exact same res as a higher resolution image.  The difference with the higher resolution on those games is that you have more screen space. 

Here's two images of FF13, one taken at 480p, the other at 720p.  Because my current motherboard is too small to hold my capture card I used a passthrough device which adds AA, so there's a bit more blur than there would be on your tv but also less jaggies.  These images were full resolution, but also photobucket downscaled the image resolution when uploading.  Going from 480p to 720p is more noticeable than going from 720p to 1080p, and it's still hardly a difference.  

It's not like devs can't increase the quality of the graphics ever so higher.  You think real life would look worse than a video game if it was a 480p image?  What do you think you're been viewing on your old SD televisions?  480i and those graphics look better than anything I've seen on a video game.

Why stop there, lets just go back to 256x240 like the NES, real life looks amazing even at such a small res...

*rolls eyes*

Mr Puggsly said:
Captain_Tom said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I honestly don't know what you're saying here.

BF4 on console was a hastily done port.  Saying the X1 version looks better thn the PS3 isn't saying much considering they both use crappy settings.  However Ultra looks a lot like medium (For most of the settings) unless you play above 900p.

I'm confused by this argument. Even at 720p the differences between medium and ultra settings are noticeable. In medium settings the textures get muddy, shadows are missing, there is more pop-in, etc.

Regardless if both use "crappy settings," the X1 version still has vastly superior visuals and a significantly higher frame rate.

LOL someone doesn't play this game much on PC!  The PS3 runs the game at below Low, and the X1 version ~ Medium at best.

Lowering from 1080 to 720 doesnt free up that much computational power.. If people can still live with 30 fps instead of 60 then that is where you will see a huge difference.

OP seens to be in the group that swears 1080p and 720p has almost no noticeable difference.

Around the Network

All games should be aiming for 60fps that is what should come first. Let’s face the big problem with the consoles they should have held out and gone with something slightly stronger. Face the facts a R7 265 is almost identical to the PS4 gpu. That is a $149/£99 gpu. The Xbox One is very similar to a R7 260 a $110/£75 gpu. They should have been fitted with a R9 270X or equivalent. Then we would have had more 1080p 60fps games. The consoles already feel out of date and they are not even a year old and it’s only going to get worse when the new Nvidia and Amd line up come out.

I would also like to know more about the cpu which is fitted to both consoles how do we not know this is what's really holding them back. 

DakonBlackblade said:

OP seens to be in the group that swears 1080p and 720p has almost no noticeable difference.

That's strange, I could have sworn that I mentioned there's a noticeable difference in the op, but that difference is marginal compared to actually pushing out better graphics or higher framerate.  Oh wait.  I did.

"With all resolutions on consoles, it's the exact same image with more pixels put into detailing that image.  So you get an image with less jaggies and a bit more clarity. "

I can see the difference of 720p and 1080p easily.  Doesn't mean the power used would be better used elsewhere because it's not as much of an issue as people are making it out to be.  Most of the people who are arguing that 1080p is such a massive difference are probably the same ones defending that 720p wasn't much different when PC users threw 1080p on all games in their faces.  It's really not that big of a difference and many of you are just blowing it out of proportion.  

If the games can run 1080p@60fps while keeping everything else at PCs max settings, then that's great, but if they can't, I'd rather have other graphical enhancements and framerate before the resolution bump.

If you guys are expecting 1080p throughout this gen then you're going to be sorely disappointed and you better sell your PS4 and get a capable PC right now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-21-uncharted-4-is-pushing-for-1080p60-on-playstation-4

I'll keep expecting 1080p throughout this gen. Can always get a capable pc later if multi platform titles start limping at 720p. For now all is still fine.

1080p is a big difference. Playing Burnout paradise at 1080p was a lot easier, I can see what's coming in the distance, same with Driver SF. Just cause 2 also benefits hugely from 1080p on pc. On PC resolution is the last thing to bump down. I'll play on my old 1280x1024 monitor if it's really struggling to keep 30fps, at least it's still a pixel for pixel match.

I'm loving the native display resolution coming out of the ps4 so far. I did skip watch dogs, resolution was a small factor in that decision. Upscaling is last gen.

Captain_Tom said:
Mr Puggsly said:

LOL someone doesn't play this game much on PC!  The PS3 runs the game at below Low, and the X1 version ~ Medium at best.

LOL I've played the PC version and I know some effects are missing and some visuals change as you switch from medium to ultra. This is noticeable even at 720p.

I'm not denying the X1 version is medium settings.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

kupomogli said:
DakonBlackblade said:

That's strange, I could have sworn that I mentioned there's a noticeable difference in the op, but that difference is marginal compared to actually pushing out better graphics or higher framerate.  Oh wait.  I did.

"With all resolutions on consoles, it's the exact same image with more pixels put into detailing that image.  So you get an image with less jaggies and a bit more clarity. "

I can see the difference of 720p and 1080p easily.  Doesn't mean the power used would be better used elsewhere because it's not as much of an issue as people are making it out to be.  Most of the people who are arguing that 1080p is such a massive difference are probably the same ones defending that 720p wasn't much different when PC users threw 1080p on all games in their faces.  It's really not that big of a difference and many of you are just blowing it out of proportion.  

If the games can run 1080p@60fps while keeping everything else at PCs max settings, then that's great, but if they can't, I'd rather have other graphical enhancements and framerate before the resolution bump.

If you guys are expecting 1080p throughout this gen then you're going to be sorely disappointed and you better sell your PS4 and get a capable PC right now.

See you said it again at the beggining of the sentece "the diference is marginal". It is not and there were like 1 billion pictures posted here showing that, some even went as far as posting 720p images with a lot higher AA and other graphical shenenigans x a 1080p one with none of that and the 1080p still looks quite clearly better. Its not a matter of opinion here, sory man but 1080p is a lot better than 720 as well as the picture you posted on the OP of FF XIII on 480p and 720p also has a enormous evident diferences.

Right now Naughty Dog says theyre aiming for 1080p 60 fps on Uncharted 4 and if they said it, its because they think they can do it and we all saw in engine footage of how that game looks on E3 and its insane. If the game is properly optmized itll reach 1080 p on both Xone and PS4, multiplats arent always well optmized tough.

Heck CD projekt Red thinks they can reach 1080 with the Witcher 3 on conosoles and it isnt even an exclusive and is from a company with very little console know how. And the tendency is games get better graphics as the generation goes on, I dont know where you guys get this idea the resolutions will be worse as we go on on the gem and devs get more used to the new hardwares and get new dev kits and better programming engines get released.

Some of these devs are masters at squeezing the last bit of graphics out of a console, if the best idea was having 720p games with throngs of AA, V-sync and stuf you an rest asured that wouldbe what wed been seeing on games.