By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Lets face it: 3DS is Wii U's worst enemy

zorg1000 said:
KungKras said:

You're contradicting yourself.

What is contradicting about that? Im sure u can agree that PS3 & 360 appealed to the same demograhpic, did one drop everytime the other had a boost? Perhaps I just didnt explain well enough.

In previous generations Nintendo handhelds and consoles were very different and had key games to differentiate them. SNES had high end graphics for the time along with popular arcade ports, games like Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Street Fighter II werent on the Gameboy which had ancient hardware but excellent pick up and play games perfect for portables like Tetris and later Pokemon during the N64 era which had the first 3D worlds for popular Nintendo ip and the console FPS crowd on lockdown with Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. GBA had beautiful 2D games while Gamecube was continuing with more advanced 3D games.

Now onto DS/Wii, once again the visual gap was large but more importantly they each had different features and huge casual hits that werent on the other, DS had dual/touch screen controls along with games like Nintendogs & Brain Training while Wii had motion controls and games like Wii Sports & Wii Fit.

That brings us to 3DS/Wii U which have similar features and key software. Both have dual/touch screens and motion controls, both can competently produce 3D worlds and most of the big hitters on Wii U already have installments on 3DS.

3D Land vs 3D World, MK7 vs MK8, DKC Returns vs DKC Tropical Freeze, Ocarina of Time 3D vs Wind Waker HD, NSMB2 vs NSMBU, Smash Bros 3DS vs Smash Bros Wii U. On top of that 3DS also already has Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Yoshi, Mario & Luigi, brand new Zelda along with excellent Japanese 3rd party support like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Youkai Watch, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil.

Now I would agree that most of those Wii U games are superior to the 3DS installments but with 3DS costing $129-199 and software at $30-40 against Wii U at $299-329 with software costing $50-60 and having a much smaller number of games, is it really worth it for a few superior sequels? For me and some others yes it is but for the majority of people interested in Nintendo products, 3DS gets the job done and they are happy with just it for the time being.

I've already adressed this. The market is limited. Competing products do cannibalize each other's sales (Yes, this happened with 360 and PS3). If they were competing, we'd see it in the data. The GB and SNES libraries are also more similar than you recognise. (Super Mario Land vs Super Mario World, DKC vs DKL, etc)

I'm sorry, but if you have to counter my one phrase by writing an essay, you might want to rethink your reasoning in this debate.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
zorg1000 said:
KungKras said:

What is contradicting about that? Im sure u can agree that PS3 & 360 appealed to the same demograhpic, did one drop everytime the other had a boost? Perhaps I just didnt explain well enough.

In previous generations Nintendo handhelds and consoles were very different and had key games to differentiate them. SNES had high end graphics for the time along with popular arcade ports, games like Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Street Fighter II werent on the Gameboy which had ancient hardware but excellent pick up and play games perfect for portables like Tetris and later Pokemon during the N64 era which had the first 3D worlds for popular Nintendo ip and the console FPS crowd on lockdown with Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. GBA had beautiful 2D games while Gamecube was continuing with more advanced 3D games.

Now onto DS/Wii, once again the visual gap was large but more importantly they each had different features and huge casual hits that werent on the other, DS had dual/touch screen controls along with games like Nintendogs & Brain Training while Wii had motion controls and games like Wii Sports & Wii Fit.

That brings us to 3DS/Wii U which have similar features and key software. Both have dual/touch screens and motion controls, both can competently produce 3D worlds and most of the big hitters on Wii U already have installments on 3DS.

3D Land vs 3D World, MK7 vs MK8, DKC Returns vs DKC Tropical Freeze, Ocarina of Time 3D vs Wind Waker HD, NSMB2 vs NSMBU, Smash Bros 3DS vs Smash Bros Wii U. On top of that 3DS also already has Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Yoshi, Mario & Luigi, brand new Zelda along with excellent Japanese 3rd party support like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Youkai Watch, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil.

Now I would agree that most of those Wii U games are superior to the 3DS installments but with 3DS costing $129-199 and software at $30-40 against Wii U at $299-329 with software costing $50-60 and having a much smaller number of games, is it really worth it for a few superior sequels? For me and some others yes it is but for the majority of people interested in Nintendo products, 3DS gets the job done and they are happy with just it for the time being.

I've already adressed this. The market is limited. Competing products do cannibalize each other's sales (Yes, this happened with 360 and PS3). If they were competing, we'd see it in the data. The GB and SNES libraries are also more similar than you recognise. (Super Mario Land vs Super Mario World, DKC vs DKL, etc)

I'm sorry, but if you have to counter my one phrase by writing an essay, you might want to rethink your reasoning in this debate.

The data does back it up with tho with the Wii U selling much worse and the sequels selling much worse than the 3DS predeccessors. And yes SNES/GB & DS/Wii did have some similar titles, I was pointing out that despite that they had huge selling points not found on the other whereas almost every big Wii U game has a similar 3DS entry.

That long rant was something I had already planned on writing in this thread, I just figured I would write it there instead of 2 seperate posts.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

KungKras said:
curl-6 said:

The data does support it; 3DS is cheaper, has similar games, and is selling more.

Gameboy was cheaper than the SNES, had similar games, and was selling more.

PSP was cheaper than the PS3, had similar games, and for a while, was selling more.

GB and PSP were different enough. 3DS is too similar, as is Vita to PS3, and when that happens, one of the two gets cannibalized.

I dont think there is enough data either way to support either side. I mean if there was no 3ds would Wii U be doing that much better? If there was no Wii U vice versa? cause if i recall 3ds was out on its own and it wasnt exactly doing gangbusters. and IMHO it still will end up with a massive drop from 3ds numbers. I think this whole Ninty fix thing is a bit exaggerated. Yes they have a large fanbase but it isnt that big.

On a side note anyone who doesnt think 3ds version of Smash will effect Wii U one even a little bit is insane. Look at Sonic Lost World and Lego city numbers. Doing much better for versions that a much worse. Hell the latter game wasnt even advertised.

zorg1000 said:
KungKras said:
zorg1000 said:
KungKras said:

The data does back it up with tho with the Wii U selling much worse and the sequels selling much worse than the 3DS predeccessors. And yes SNES/GB & DS/Wii did have some similar titles, I was pointing out that despite that they had huge selling points not found on the other whereas almost every big Wii U game has a similar 3DS entry.

That long rant was something I had already planned on writing in this thread, I just figured I would write it there instead of 2 seperate posts.

I see what you're saying but is it really fair to compare software sales of 3ds to Wii U? Its not like it was released 2 years earlier? or it has a MUCH bigger install base. I dont think you could draw conclusions from that. What should be compared is the actual system predecessors. Wii vs. Wii U. DS vs. 3DS and what we see is that there is a massive drop in the series numbers across both systems. 

IMHO i think this is just another "reason" to try and justify the low sales of WIi U. There is no justification it might be time to accept that people simply dont think the WIi U is a good system and just enjoy it for however long its availalble.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:
KungKras said:
zorg1000 said:
KungKras said:

I see what you're saying but is it really fair to compare software sales of 3ds to Wii U? Its not like it was released 2 years earlier? or it has a MUCH bigger install base. I dont think you could draw conclusions from that. What should be compared is the actual system predecessors. Wii vs. Wii U. DS vs. 3DS and what we see is that there is a massive drop in the series numbers across both systems. 

IMHO i think this is just another "reason" to try and justify the low sales of WIi U. There is no justification it might be time to accept that people simply dont think the WIi U is a good system and just enjoy it for however long its availalble.

It isn't a bad system. 

It's simply very hard to sell a console when you don't have third party support. 

The only system with poor-to-mediocre third party support that's ever sold even reasonably well (as in above 30 million LTD) was the N64, and a lot of people probably thought that was going to have a good number of games because the NES and SNES did, so there was no reason to think otherwise (not many people especially in the days before the internet would've known that CDs and cartridges meant no third party support for Nintendo). 

The only other example is the Wii which had the lightning-in-a-bottle concept of motion gaming before anyone else was really in on casual gaming. But those types of ideas combined with the perfect market timing do not happen very often and simply can't be forced out of your R&D like you're ordering a pizza. It takes a good deal of serendipity for it to all come together. 

Soundwave said:
oniyide said:

It isn't a bad system

It's simply very hard to sell a console when you don't have third party support. 

The only system with poor-to-mediocre third party support that's ever sold even reasonably well (as in above 30 million LTD) was the N64, and a lot of people probably thought that was going to have a good number of games because the NES and SNES did, so there was no reason to think otherwise (not many people especially in the days before the internet would've known that CDs and cartridges meant no third party support for Nintendo). 

The only other example is the Wii which had the lightning-in-a-bottle concept of motion gaming before anyone else was really in on casual gaming. But those types of ideas combined with the perfect market timing do not happen very often and simply can't be forced out of your R&D like you're ordering a pizza. It takes a good deal of serendipity for it to all come together. 

I never said it was a bad system. PEOPLE dont think its a good system othewise it would be doing better. As a matter of fact some might argue because its not getting 3rd party support thats whats MAKING if a bad system. A Wii had 3rd party support i dont know why people keep saying it doesnt

~ Quote tree shortened by TruckOSaurus ~

OMG! The quote trees will crush us all!!!

It is weird that the NSMB 3DS and U released 3-4 months apart. Now Smash Bros 3DS -U will do the same. Obviously it's hurting them. Strange decisions by Nintendo really...

Wrong. RolStoppable is the Wii U's worst enemy.

He's constantly calling the thing a piece of trash.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger