By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Scottish Independence vote - Yes or No?

Are you voting for Scottish independence?

Yes 288 51.15%

No 275 48.85%

Total:563
Ledreppe said:
Well, Sweeden has enjoyed a higher standard of living from being independent, so the better together because of large unions/countries arguement doesn't persuade me. That's one of the reasons I'd vote against rule by London, which only does what benefits itself and doesn't care if it negatively impacts the rest of the UK, which it does on a regular basis.

Exactly. London is the only place that mainly benefits from the government's policies. In terms of GDP per capita, the South East region is above the average but much lower than London and the North of UK has a GDP per capita much lower than the UK average. The South of Scotland is above the average though. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
Ledreppe said:
Well, Sweeden has enjoyed a higher standard of living from being independent, so the better together because of large unions/countries arguement doesn't persuade me. That's one of the reasons I'd vote against rule by London, which only does what benefits itself and doesn't care if it negatively impacts the rest of the UK, which it does on a regular basis.

How can you know that? 

spurgeonryan said:
It is hard to go it alone. Just think what would happen if Mexico still had Texas or US still had Canada. We would be much stronger.

Denmark and Sweden are "weak" if you would look at it like you probably mean and people there have still less problems on average as in USA, UK, Russia, China or Germany. 

Power of a country doesn't automatically mean that the population has something from that. USA is also much more powerful as Canada and Canadians don't really suffer from that do they? It's not as if a Canadian sits in his office chair and has to think "man, if Canada would be 10x as powerful like USA is, my life would be so much better now"

Sure, maybe USA would profit if Canada would be a part of USA but not because you would be even bigger and more powerful on this planet. More because Canada does pretty good so that pretty much every country  could be happy if they would be a part of them.

Always vote to have Government as local as possible. Much easier to keep it constrained that way.

I'm Scottish and will be voting no.

Around the Network

I would just be concerned economically with an aging population in Scotland. If anything it means instead of Westminster being held responsible Holyrood would have to resolve Scotland's issues. To me it is how strongly do you feel about being independent to shoulder the cost and responsibilities.

ok im not scottish. or even close. but i couldnt resist posting this picture. 

Not Scottish, but why anyone would want to vote yes and get that idiot Salmond in proper power... needs their head looking at.

They'll be bankrupt within 5 years with that idiot at the helm.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

kowenicki said:
Madword said:

Not Scottish, but why anyone would want to vote yes and get that idiot Salmond in proper power... needs their head looking at.

They'll be bankrupt within 5 years with that idiot at the helm.

Who says he gets power.  There will be an election after a yes vote.  Surely nobody is stupid enough to vote for that fool?

I would say it's a shoe in.... if he can get people to vote for independence, then lets be honest that fool will be in power (gah)...

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

kowenicki said:

Do people have to always quote this romantic bull from the most historically inaccurate film of all time?  (except perhaps Pearl Harbour)

OT

I'm English

Please vote for independence Scotland.   Please.  That way, never will I have to endure a Labour government again...

I'm tired of the Scottish deciding who runs my country.  Hows that for a twist? 

Scotland... vote yes and give the English their independence.

Although I do support the Conservatives, I don't think losing Scotland would necessarily have a massive impact on Labour's chances of winning future elections. 

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~