By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Scottish Independence vote - Yes or No?

Are you voting for Scottish independence?

Yes 288 51.15%

No 275 48.85%

Total:563

Not Scottish by birth, however my family is and I have a Scottish name. My friend from Scotland is going to vote yes.

Around the Network

Im not Scottish but some of ancestor s are that immigrated to the U.S. With that being said you have to vote yes for independence, it is what William Wallace died for and then was betrayed by the elites. It's now the people of today to right this wrong. Plus the UK is only does what's good for the Royals and its land.

spurgeonryan said:
It is hard to go it alone. Just think what would happen if Mexico still had Texas or US still had Canada. We would be much stronger.

Ugh, seriously.

OT: Sorry mate, I reckon that's a desition you all have to decide for yourselves. It's not like I really know all the factors and the whole background. I only know a lot of Doctor Who is filmed in Wales, and Karen Guillan was an awesome companion :) (there were a lot of scottish jokes I really didn't enjoyed tho)

I'm English, though a lot of my family are Scottish. I don't want Scotland to go independent, I just don't see what good could really come from it. Scotland has a lot more political freedom already than it let on through Devolution.

However, there would be some upsides to independence. It would pretty much knacker Labour's prospects of ruining the country again as they would struggle to ever get a working majority. And the rest of the union would no longer have to endure legislation being passed (such as Tuition Fees) purely because Scottish MPs who the policies had no impact on were able to pass unpopular legislation for Labour with utter electoral impunity because it didn't affect their constituents.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

DolPhanTendo said:
Im not Scottish but some of ancestor s are that immigrated to the U.S. With that being said you have to vote yes for independence, it is what William Wallace died for and then was betrayed by the elites. It's now the people of today to right this wrong. Plus the UK is only does what's good for the Royals and its land.

Sorry, but what a load of old tosh :) William Wallace was just as bad as the english, and so were the scots at the time. They were all as bad as each other. The royals have had very little political influence really since the end of the 1st World War.

You do know that britain has existed as a place way before William Wallace was around? It's been classified as one union for hundreds of years... at some point in history people have to get over old history and move on (many places still complain about what britain did to them 50, 100, 150 years ago) , otherwise the human race will never ever move forward. I mean at what point in the future do you say sorry no more arguing about which politicians own this location. I mean Scotland has been part of the Britain for what 400 years... does that mean nothing? The people that died for britain in many many wars, they did it for nothing? What because a movie made some guy you'll never know "cool"?

For example, should USA have an independence vote on if it should go back to Britain or France, or perhaps Cornwall because at one point it was it's own area... or perhaps West Mercia as that was it's own kingdom too... seriously this whole independence debate is just a smoke screen by fool politicians. At some point it has to stop otherwise people wont actually focus on the real issues... for example Scotland has the some of the worst alcohol and early death, drug issues. To me that's way more important than silly people waffling on about Royals and William Wallace.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

Scottish accent is annoying so No. Was I glad that my copy of The Witcher had Russian audio and I didn't have to listen to Scottish dwarves all game long? You bet I was.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Ka-pi96 said:
Madword said:

For example, should USA have an independence vote on if it should go back to Britain or France, or perhaps Cornwall because at one point it was it's own area... or perhaps West Mercia as that was it's own kingdom too... seriously this whole independence debate is just a smoke screen by fool politicians. At some point it has to stop otherwise people wont actually focus on the real issues... for example Scotland has the some of the worst alcohol and early death, drug issues. To me that's way more important than silly people waffling on about Royals and William Wallace.

Those shouldn't be issues. If people want to drink alcohol and take drugs that is up to them.

Dont be silly of course that is a serious issues. Because it affects other people, it ruins other peoples lives connected to those people and it costs lots and lots of tax payers money. If you need to see how rediculous people are who have serious issues with alcohol or drugs - just watch one of the many police stop type reality shows on British tv any day of the week.

im not from the UK, but i would vote yes. because than scotland can stay with the EU and england can go out like they want.

kowenicki said:
generic-user-1 said:
im not from the UK, but i would vote yes. because than scotland can stay with the EU and england can go out like they want.

lol.  "Stay in"?

They wont be in.  They will have to apply as an independent state and they wont meet the criteria.

why shouldnt they meet the criteria?

and they will stay in, just like the splitting parts of spain. 

berlin and paris will not let Pro european countrys go

kowenicki said:
Madword said:
DolPhanTendo said:

Sorry, but what a load of old tosh :) William Wallace was just as bad as the english, and so were the scots at the time. They were all as bad as each other. The royals have had very little political influence really since the end of the 1st World War.

You do know that britain has existed as a place way before William Wallace was around? It's been classified as one union for hundreds of years... at some point in history people have to get over old history and move on (many places still complain about what britain did to them 50, 100, 150 years ago) , otherwise the human race will never ever move forward. I mean at what point in the future do you say sorry no more arguing about which politicians own this location. I mean Scotland has been part of the Britain for what 400 years... does that mean nothing? The people that died for britain in many many wars, they did it for nothing? What because a movie made some guy you'll never know "cool"?

better answer than mine.

I just laughed at the lack of knowledge in his post.

Hint: never learn your history from Hollywood.

That is so true. There have been some shocking historical slight of hands done over the years. I am not saying the English/British were not bastards, cause they could be, but then so were other people on the opposite side. USA history certainly from movies and games have seemingly forgotten some of the wrongs done by their side but have had no problem focussing on the British sides. Makes good TV I guess, but it is generally historically onesided.

No country is perfect, but if we just focus on Historical figures who are "Movie" cool, then we'll never become better people. I mean people are still waffling on about william wallace, he died in 1305.. that was a long time ago.. get the hell over it........Afganistan and Iraq are a mess...Syria is a mess, Ukraine is fighting with pro-russian's with russian agenda).... and yet some guy who died in 1305 is seemingly more important to people because Mel Gibson played him and make them feel patriotic...lol.

As for anyone wanting to know about the Royals, there was a great BBC show on recently called the Royals at War.. quite interesting tv.