By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Scottish Independence vote - Yes or No?

Are you voting for Scottish independence?

Yes 288 51.15%

No 275 48.85%

Total:563
Mnementh said:
MoHasanie said:

I don't see the benefit to adopting the Euro.I think the UK should adopt the Euro once they become Europe's largest economy, which is forecasted to happen within the next 20 years. That way they will have more control over the fiscal and monetary policies of the EU. 

What? How will that ever happen?

Those are the forecasts by some major institutions. Of course, all those predictions don't consider Scottish independance. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
DolPhanTendo said:
Im not Scottish but some of ancestor s are that immigrated to the U.S. With that being said you have to vote yes for independence, it is what William Wallace died for and then was betrayed by the elites. It's now the people of today to right this wrong. Plus the UK is only does what's good for the Royals and its land.

wow. lmao.

Yeah it's interesting seeing the Views of what actually happened in the UK. My wife is American and her brother is under the dillusion that rather than being a nasty terrorist organisation who tried to pull off terrorist bombings which would have made 9/11 look like a minor incident, the IRA are actually freedom fighters trying to correct a great wrong.

He didn't even realise Northern Ireland voted to remain part of the UK after Ireland gained independence.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Raze said:

Maybe someday all of Ireland can be independent too, and all the fighting over the unlawful occupation in NI can end already.

The population of Northern Ireland wanted to remain part of the UK. They were initialy going to be independent with the rest of Ireland.

Really do some research before posting such ignorant nonsense.

Madword said:
generic-user-1 said:

why shouldnt they meet the criteria?

and they will stay in, just like the splitting parts of spain. 

berlin and paris will not let Pro european countrys go

As a new country they would have to be voted in, and guess what that takes time and money, and they need all member states to approve their entry. In theory, the UK they left could veto it and they wouldnt get in..

If Scotland vote Yes they will be a separate country. Nothing like spain at all. Spain has regions like any country, they might have regions that dont want to be part of spain, but as of yet they are. 

I wouldn't worry about the UK vetoing it, we have no reason to. I would wish nothing but prosperity to an independent Scotland.

Spain on the otherhand... they certainly have a very big reason to want to block any instant membership of the EU off to Scotland, even if it's not Scotland themselves that they have the problem with.

Raze said:

Maybe someday all of Ireland can be independent too, and all the fighting over the unlawful occupation in NI can end already.

The lack of knowledge and understanding is amazing.

Ireland has always been very complicated history wise, but there are alot of people who want to stay with the UK in NI, and of course there are some that do not. All I am happy about is that people are generally not blowing up civilians, women and children any more for the excuse of independence.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
Madword said:

As a new country they would have to be voted in, and guess what that takes time and money, and they need all member states to approve their entry. In theory, the UK they left could veto it and they wouldnt get in..

If Scotland vote Yes they will be a separate country. Nothing like spain at all. Spain has regions like any country, they might have regions that dont want to be part of spain, but as of yet they are. 

I wouldn't worry about the UK vetoing it, we have no reason to. I would wish nothing but prosperity to an independent Scotland.

Spain on the otherhand... they certainly have a very big reason to want to block any instant membership of the EU off to Scotland, even if it's not Scotland themselves that they have the problem with.

Yeah politically it would be a problem for UK government to veto it (and they are unlikely to I would suspect)... alot of bluster from Parliment as usual. But it could happen (even if it was very slim).

Now spain on the other hand would definately veto it because if they don't it gives more credence to their country being split up.  

Perhaps one day we can just have a federation or something like in Star Trek, because all of these stupid historical arguments/breakups etc are just pointless time wasting and ego stroking of fools who would rather look inward than outward.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:
Raze said:

Ireland has always been very complicated history wise, but there are alot of people who want to stay with the UK in NI, and of course there are some that do not. All I am happy about is that people are generally not blowing up civilians, women and children any more for the excuse of independence.

It's not a lack of knowledge or understanding. Just think, if we went by what the oppressors wanted, we could have avoided a civil war here too, and the slave owners could have kept on owning slaves. It was the British who occupied Ireland by force, of course their contingent wouldn't want to give it back up. The centuries of ignorance and hatred have to eventually end. As it stands, that deal isn't settled. How well read are you on Oliver Cromwell?

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

MikeRox said:
Raze said:

The population of Northern Ireland wanted to remain part of the UK. They were initialy going to be independent with the rest of Ireland.

Really do some research before posting such ignorant nonsense.

see my prior post, before you assume ignrorance. I'm far well-read on the matter. You might say I'm a bit of a historian in this field. Ending your post with some childish BS only proves where the ignorance really lies.

Raze said:
Madword said:
Raze said:

It's not a lack of knowledge or understanding. Just think, if we went by what the oppressors wanted, we could have avoided a civil war here too, and the slave owners could have kept on owning slaves. It was the British who occupied Ireland by force, of course their contingent wouldn't want to give it back up. The centuries of ignorance and hatred have to eventually end. As it stands, that deal isn't settled. How well read are you on Oliver Cromwell?

OMG Not sure if srs?!?!

You're getting your wars confused.

kowenicki said:
Raze said:

Which would cause a civil war and many many more deaths.

Its settled now... leave it alone.

I know you live in the US and therefore get a warped view from your media, but the majority of N.Ireland want to be British.

If I listened to media, that would be valid. I'm quite well-read on the roots of the matters of Ireland going back to King James and the English Civil War, which lead up to the slaughter and enslavement of much of the Irish people, you know, the stuff that the British gov't keeps out of the mainstream education. Trust me, they do a good job of filtering out here in the US too, as the dominant population here are Protestant.