By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny Playstation Beta Dates Exclusive DLC Content Has XB Fans Threatening To Pull Support

CDiablo said:

This exclusive DLC in DLC is the first time this has ever been done in gaming; to my knowledge. The way I look at it when I put on my executive hat is people already bought the either the 1st DLC pack or the season 1 expansion pass; that transaction is done. MS guys get to play the DLC at the same time as Sony users. The timed DLC in DLC isnt necessary to complete the 1st DLC, and they arent pre-purchasing the DLC in DLC when they buy the 1 DLC pack. so why would they give it away for free once the year is up? I dont expect the Sony exclusive base content(the "bonus" stuff that just comes with the base game) to become free when it comes to MS systems. Shortly afterwards DLC pack 1 comes out with timed exclusive stuff. In my mind I dont know why they would give it away for free. This game cost $500 million. This means to make their money back they have to sell around 8.5 million copies assuming every cent of the $60 goes to them(21 million based on the estimate of $20 going back to publishers) just to break even. I dont see it being free, you do, I guess time will tell. I hope I am wrong for the sake of the industry.

yea.. but it shouldn't matter when you buy the DLC or when the DLC is available on what platform.  The point is parity in content.  Everything on the DLC that I've read up to this point states that the "exclusive" content on the ps4 is only for a limited time (albiet a year).  So, yes, you already paid for the DLCs.. you'll just have to wait to recieve the rest of the content.  It's not separate purchases within the DLC itself.  I doubt it's like what you are thinking with Activision or Bungie nickle and diming on top of pruchases you've already made.  Those "bonus" stuff you mention are already in the DLCs.. just for xbox owners, it's locked at release.  it's not about paying to "unlock" anything.. it's basically wait a certain amount of time frame and the content will be unlocked.. it's not giving anything away for free either because it has already been purchased.  Unless Activision or Bungie themselves come out and say, "Oh yea.. we want more money for the bonus stuff from xbox gamers", then there isn't any issue other than the year long exclusivity deal.

As for your $500 mil comment.. that's from Activision and their marketing campaign.  Bungie said so themselves it didn't cost them that much to make the game.  Regardless, if the game lives up to hype and expectations, then they could easily sell beyond your 8.5 mil copies, which seems possible especially given a game that is multiplat on 4 systems. 

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

Around the Network
CDiablo said:
Euphoria14 said:

I bet they don't mind the timed exclusive CoD stuff though.

They'll get over it.

Completely different situation

Why? Because the length of time is different? Because it is Sony doing it?

The only real difference is that ths is from a developer who used to be an Xbox mainstay and it isn't MS doing it.

Xbox players aren't getting the Scarecrow content for Batman Arkham Knight. They didn't get the extra missions in Watch Dogs or the costumes. The games cost the same accross both PS4 and XB1 and yet no one is complaining.

It is uniquely restricted to Destiny and from spending time within the Destiny forums on bungie.net I can tell you first hand it is all about Activision deciding to give Sony the exclusivity deals. It is only here and maybe on the Gaf forums are people complaining about paying the same price for a few less costumes and ship skins. The real complainers are crying about being betrayed by Bungie.

CoD is but one example of where Playstation players had to deal with buying the "lesser" version of a game in terms of exclusive content and heck even very important aspects of a games functins (Rock Band was the worst offender last gen) yet we, for the most part, quietly bought our games and accepted that MS was smart for making their platform the place to get the content first.

Now the shoe is on the other foot and a certain people are so green with envy they can't help themselves but to lash out. Some Xbox players right now be like:

LudicrousSpeed said:

AFAIK the way its being worded is the timed exclusive DLC inside the DLC is exclusive until "at least Fall of 2015". But there's no date for said DLC to come out. So for example if DLC #1 drops in August off 2015, it could have timed exclusive elements for a month. If it drops in September, it could be a week. Who knows. So to say it's about the length is not really accurate because no one knows the length. The reality is people simply don't like paying for content and having a piece of it locked away.

so basically.. worst case scenario, a year.. best case scenario, a month.  Look, i don't like paid exclusivity either, but that's the industry we live in nowadays.  I'm pretty sure xbox owners wouldn't shed a tear if the reverse was to of happened and the ps gamers had to wait a year for said content.  But yea, everyone who does decide to pick up the DLC for the xbox one should be aware of what they are purchasing by that point.  It's OPTIONAL.. you like it? GREAT!  You don't?  Oh well.  Just know additional content will be unlocked later down the line for that OPTIONAL DLC.  It's not like Bungie and Activision are making these announcements after the game has already been released and you have alot of clueless xbox gamers.  Don't like their policies?  don't buy their game.  Don't like how the DLC is handled?  don't buy the DLC.  Simple enough. 

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

sales2099 said:
"However, Sony and Activision have heavily played up the Destiny on the PS4 and PS3 to the point where it has almost been advertised as exclusive to the consoles. As a matter of fact, the game will be exclusive to Playstation in Japan."

Now......I have the impression that the game IS exclusive to PS. Every other version is like a Chinese ripoff. It exists, its similar, but not the real thing.

It is a good thing I stopped caring about Bungie after they butchered the Halo Reach storyline. But as a Xbox fan, this kind of console favoritism outdoes anything MS did in the past with multiplats.

You can't be serious, can you?

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

All this "Microsoft and it's fans deserve it" being thrown about is petty childish behavior.... Especially seeing as PS fans had to put up with a more milder form of this last gen. It's a terrible tactic that no gamer should truly get behind.

Around the Network
Rafie said:
sales2099 said:
"However, Sony and Activision have heavily played up the Destiny on the PS4 and PS3 to the point where it has almost been advertised as exclusive to the consoles. As a matter of fact, the game will be exclusive to Playstation in Japan."

Now......I have the impression that the game IS exclusive to PS. Every other version is like a Chinese ripoff. It exists, its similar, but not the real thing.

It is a good thing I stopped caring about Bungie after they butchered the Halo Reach storyline. But as a Xbox fan, this kind of console favoritism outdoes anything MS did in the past with multiplats.

Actually if you stop and look back, yes this is worse. Speaking of timed DLC, MS paid for a month with COD every year. This is a year timed DLC, along with longer beta, DLC within the DLC, and all that marketing jazz that ensures exclusive-like benefits to PS.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

BreedinBull said:
Playstation users that buy the COD season pass the same time as xbox fans have to wait while they paid the same price. This is the same thing. Tough cookies, no one forced you to choose your console of choice.

And that is the real blunt truth of the matter! Yes the time PS3 user's have to wait is not as long as this, but thats what the problem is it was already established by the agreements in place before, It just means the time to wait has been extended. While i think this is not a very consumer friendly idea to release for product for the market, this has in effect been already in place for a while, just not the the lengths that this one goes too.

Really crappy, but what can you do? it was already set in for a while with this way of doing it, look at fallout 3 and the gameof the year edition and how long it took to release .

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

RTDaives said:

the cod was only a month the destiny dlc exclusive is close to a year. thats insane.

I have to agree that a year exclusive DLC definitely trumps a month.  Have exclusive content within the DLC for one system and not the other is not going to make a gamer happy if they are spending the same price.  Personally, if I was a X1 owner, I probably would not purchase destiny until all content is released in a game of the year edition or something like that.

sales2099 said:
Rafie said:
sales2099 said:

Actually if you stop and look back, yes this is worse. Speaking of timed DLC, MS paid for a month with COD every year. This is a year timed DLC, along with longer beta, DLC within the DLC, and all that marketing jazz that ensures exclusive-like benefits to PS.

To my understanding, Xbox users are getting all DLC that PlayStation users are getting. They're just getting it at a much later date. Am I wrong?

I think this DLC fiasco is the same as any, just structured differently than the normal 30 to 180 day exclusivity (Skyrim). Both are getting season passes with the same content. The exclusive part is where whose getting it first, not that the content itself won't ever be available to the other platform. I can see if Xbox gamers are upset if the content NEVER comes to the One and they are paying the same price as PS gamers. However, this just seems as though one platform is getting more content first before the other. Am I understanding that right? If I'm not, please clear it up for me so I'm not misinformed.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

BillyBong said:

yea.. but it shouldn't matter when you buy the DLC or when the DLC is available on what platform.  The point is parity in content.  Everything on the DLC that I've read up to this point states that the "exclusive" content on the ps4 is only for a limited time (albiet a year).  So, yes, you already paid for the DLCs.. you'll just have to wait to recieve the rest of the content.  It's not separate purchases within the DLC itself.  I doubt it's like what you are thinking with Activision or Bungie nickle and diming on top of pruchases you've already made.  Those "bonus" stuff you mention are already in the DLCs.. just for xbox owners, it's locked at release.  it's not about paying to "unlock" anything.. it's basically wait a certain amount of time frame and the content will be unlocked.. it's not giving anything away for free either because it has already been purchased.  Unless Activision or Bungie themselves come out and say, "Oh yea.. we want more money for the bonus stuff from xbox gamers", then there isn't any issue other than the year long exclusivity deal.

As for your $500 mil comment.. that's from Activision and their marketing campaign.  Bungie said so themselves it didn't cost them that much to make the game.  Regardless, if the game lives up to hype and expectations, then they could easily sell beyond your 8.5 mil copies, which seems possible especially given a game that is multiplat on 4 systems. 

Again it comes down to myself feeling they will additionally charge for the timed content and you thinking it will be free. I've become quite the skeptic about large gaming compainies being as nice as you paint them in this situation. Time will tell. You can in the very least see where some peoples frustration comes from if I am correct. Being mad cause there is timed DLC is pretty stupid, but if it means the people that own the other system have to pay more, there will be some uproar.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling