By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shovel Knight: Where to buy?

Tagged games:

Skidonti said:

I don't buy many games at full price. Certainly not every CoD and AC. $15 seems right about a decent value, that's why I'm looking to buy it, but cross buy at $15 or simply being priced at $10 would make it pretty much a no-brainer! But as it stands I'll knock it down the priority ladder a bit and buy it when the backlog's smaller (as I should anyway). I also have to admit, though, my view is a little tainted by just coming from the Steam sale...

...I'm still thinking about where to buy. What do you think?

Is worth it at $15 and is a small developer so they could use your money, is an original game with great gameplay, don't the graphics fool you those $15 are actually cheap for the great game that is behind.

Buy it for the Wii U, bigger screen, gamepad play only if you want, bigger buttons.

Around the Network
QuintonMcLeod said:

We have people who are comparing a 25 year-old game to a week and a half year-old game; and then saying because that 25 year old game is 3 bucks, then Shovel Knight should also be 3 bucks.

People like that are used to having games handed to them for free, and if I were Yacht Games, I'd wouldn't want their business. 

As for crossbuy: Yacht Games gains nothing from having it. They won't lose customers or gain customers with it. Like having fries with ketchup. It's just that little extra thing to make customers happy, but not necessarily a thing that'll make them money.

Clearly they would. I shouldn't have to buy the same twice to have it multiple platforms. It's the same game.

Cross-buy is something that should apply to all game available on the same networks. I expect indie games on PS4/Vita to be cross-buy, because there's no different between the two games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

Clearly they would. I shouldn't have to buy the same twice to have it multiple platforms. It's the same game.

Cross-buy is something that should apply to all game available on the same networks. I expect indie games on PS4/Vita to be cross-buy, because there's no different between the two games.

Sure there is: one's on the PS4, one's on the Vita. It's no different than saying you should get the PS4+XBone+Wii UPC version of a game you buy, because there's little to no difference between the games.

Cross-buy is great, I believe every digital game on Sony and Nintendo systems that is on both platforms should support it, and it's unfortunate that Nintendo is not going all-in on the idea. But it's not something we're entitled to: you pay for one version, and you get one version.

Never followed the kickstarter, but apparently several of the higher tiers are to be added in? Regardless there is some glitch so maybe look into that before any purchase.

Destructoid put out a feature not too long ago with the differences between the versions. Basically, with both the Wii U version and the 3DS version you get extra goodies, so either would be a good decision. PC seems to generally be the weakest version as it doesn't have any extra goodies, but of course it is still a great game either way...

http://www.destructoid.com/here-are-the-differences-between-the-three-shovel-knight-platforms-276860.phtml

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:

Sure there is: one's on the PS4, one's on the Vita. It's no different than saying you should get the PS4+XBone+Wii UPC version of a game you buy, because there's little to no difference between the games.

Cross-buy is great, I believe every digital game on Sony and Nintendo systems that is on both platforms should support it, and it's unfortunate that Nintendo is not going all-in on the idea. But it's not something we're entitled to: you pay for one version, and you get one version.

What separates them is the same networks comment. Both games are sold through the same store and it's all tied together through one universal account. With that account, you should be able buy the title and it be playable on whatever platform is support through that store. Obviously, this can't be the case for everything, but for smaller indie titles, it makes sense because the console versions are no different than the handheld versions.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Wii U

outlawauron said:
noname2200 said:
outlawauron said:

What separates them is the same networks comment. Both games are sold through the same store and it's all tied together through one universal account. With that account, you should be able buy the title and it be playable on whatever platform is support through that store. Obviously, this can't be the case for everything, but for smaller indie titles, it makes sense because the console versions are no different than the handheld versions.

I follow the logic, but again I think you're trying to draw a difference without a distinction. Why, for example, should this only apply to smaller indie titles? If anything, they probably would appreciate the money more than the big publishers!

Moreover, where do we draw the line: is it okay to insist on cross-buy if it's indie developed and published, but things change if the game gets picked up by Sony/Nintendo/Activision etc.? What if the game has slightly different features across both versions, as is the case herein? Should the $100k game be given away while the $5 million game gets to demand that you pay twice?

The analogy I made earlier was not picked out the aether: I see no reason why simply having two versions on the same publisher's network means the two (or more!) versions should only be purchased once, but that having one version on another publisher's network dissapates this expectation. We certainly wouldn't be having this discussion if the two games were completely identical on the 3DS and Wii U but were being sold via physical distribution instead, even if both versions were bought directly from Nintendo's website or the Nintendo Store. Why does the calculus change in this situation? Again, I would like that to be the case, since freebies are always good for me personally, but I can't see why it should be required.

outlawauron said:
QuintonMcLeod said:

We have people who are comparing a 25 year-old game to a week and a half year-old game; and then saying because that 25 year old game is 3 bucks, then Shovel Knight should also be 3 bucks.

People like that are used to having games handed to them for free, and if I were Yacht Games, I'd wouldn't want their business. 

As for crossbuy: Yacht Games gains nothing from having it. They won't lose customers or gain customers with it. Like having fries with ketchup. It's just that little extra thing to make customers happy, but not necessarily a thing that'll make them money.

Sorry, I was a bit out of it and didn't think my words clearly... I meant to say Yacht Games wouldn't gain or lose any money by enabling crossbuy.

Heck, Crossbuy certainly isn't selling any extra Vitas, that's for sure.

Wait for a Steam sale.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.