By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I honestly believe gaming PCs are becoming niche market

zarx said:
And yet high end GPU sales are up YoY

They might be however the market is still undeniably small compared to its supposed console competitors. They only appeal to a very small amount of people, hence niche. 

This is concerning high end GPUs by the way, not pc gaming in general.

Yay!!!

Around the Network
zero129 said:
ErwinMoC said:
zero129 said:
ErwinMoC said:
zero129 said:
No one wants to try to dispute my theory (Well its not even really a theory since it is how things are going imo) about how consoles will die and become a service for your smart phones/smart tv/pc etc etc??.
I mean all them people that think PC gaming is going to die before console gaming must have something to say about it right??.

Because you really want an answer... 

Streaming is shit.

Bye.

The is already lots of places that can stream very good i imagine in 10-15 years time it will be much better so really thats not an answer

Yes  itis, also streaming will never be better then local. 

So all you have to counter what i said is Steaming is bad and will never be as good as local play. Yet what i have said is already happening. Also Streaming movies is almost never as good as owning a blue ray of the movie but guess what more people are doing??.

Do you think the same will not hold true for gaming in the future??.

Movies are not games... You clearly have not played a multiplayer game with onlive, gamestreaming isnot a solution.

Conina said:
deskpro2k3 said:

it is niche in terms of the type of games people play on it. the only kind of games i play on pc is mmo games, the rest is on consoles. things are changing though, because now consoles are getting mmo games.

Only playing MMO games on PC games is your own personal preference. There are many other types of games for PC and other people have other preferences.

Or how do you explain that Ubisofts platform with the highest revenue share (24%) is actually the PC? They don't have popular MMOs or popular casual games for PC (not even Just Dance), so the PC-revenue has to be mainly from Assassin's Creed 3 + 4, Far Cry 3 + Blood Dragon and Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

For other third party developers like EA and Activision the PC-revenue is also an important pillar of their revenue. Only looking at sold retail versions gives a very distorted picture, most sales on PC are digital.

Yes, that is my personal preference, I made it clear in my first post, and its general knowlendge that MMO is one of the most popular type of genra on PC. My other point is that consoles are getting what PC always had too. MMOs.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

It's just matter of a wrong perception: PC gaming audience is growing, but PC overall market, including home and office PCs not used for gaming, isn't growing, because except for gaming and high-end graphics and scientific uses, even low-end PCs reached performances high enough to last a long time before needing a replacement. And also for gaming, often upgrading a few components that may have become a bottleneck, is enough for most gamers, except power and graphics whores.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Movies are not games... You clearly have not played a multiplayer game with onlive, gamestreaming isnot a solution.

You are talking about now im talking about in 10-15 years time. I mean just look how far the internet has come in the last 15 years now imagine where it will be in 15 years time.

I bet if i said 15 years ago that most people wouldnt be buying films in stores or going to stores to rent them and instead would be streaming them to any device they want such as mobile phones/tablets/Settop boxes/smart tv's etc you would of said the same thing you are saying now. but yet look where we are...

Movies are not games for the second time, there will be input lagg, you don't control movies... And you really think they will sell PC games also by then? Is onlive a huge succes? No. You can't say anything about what will happen in 10 - 15 years.

Around the Network
episteme said:

And you don't need AAA budgets to push graphical boundaries on PC.

What exactly qualifies as a AAA budget?  And I would imagine you would need quite the budget to push the boundaries on PC.  Making video games are not cheap, and if you make games that only work on higher end PC tech, the budget will be even more strict as the base of users that would buy the game is considerably lower than the number of PC gamers.

This is the reason why I don't believe console gaming is holding back PC graphics as much as people think it is.

MDMAlliance said:
episteme said:

What exactly qualifies as a AAA budget?  And I would imagine you would need quite the budget to push the boundaries on PC.  Making video games are not cheap, and if you make games that only work on higher end PC tech, the budget will be even more strict as the base of users that would buy the game is considerably lower than the number of PC gamers.

This is the reason why I don't believe console gaming is holding back PC graphics as much as people think it is.

I don't know, the OP thought that you need expensive AAA games to push graphics.

The needed budget gets lower when you don't have to worry about hardware limitations.

Maybe it's a too extreme example (and it's not pushing boundaries, lol), but "The Light" was made by one guy with the Unity Engine.

http://abload.de/img/svet2013-04-1818-59-5pzaa3.png

http://abload.de/img/svet2013-04-1818-59-0h9x3t.png

well the pc market as a whole is shrinking, it will never go away but it probably peaked

With most of your points you try to say that you think less AAA games which release on console will also come to PC? Right now it looks like exactly the opposite, that more and more console AAA games will also release on PC and the similar architecture will only help. 

Sure, people on PC pay less for games but pretty much every sale is a digital copy so that they don't need to sell the game for the same price. Developers sell their games much cheaper on PC because they can still earn decent money with it and when the console market will be almost only digital, you will get deals on consoles also much earlier so that the price discrepancy will be only as big as long as  retail is still king for console games.

And as long as these games will still come to PC and as long as modders will still mod the heck out of some games, PC gaming enthusiasts will still invest in gaming PCs.  

episteme said:
MDMAlliance said:
episteme said:

I don't know, the OP thought that you need expensive AAA games to push graphics.

The needed budget gets lower when you don't have to worry about hardware limitations.

Maybe it's a too extreme example (and it's not pushing boundaries, lol), but "The Light" was made by one guy with the Unity Engine.

http://abload.de/img/svet2013-04-1818-59-5pzaa3.png

http://abload.de/img/svet2013-04-1818-59-0h9x3t.png

You don't NEED expensive AAA games to push graphics, depending on how much that actually implies.  Money often gets poured into a variety of other things besides resources for graphics, but they still have a lot of resources used up for making great looking games.  

Also the needed budget doesn't necessarily get lower when you don't worry about hardware limitations.  The budget would most likely stay the same, or fluctuate depending on how much they think they could sell and what their profit margins are expected to be.  It's really all about the market and hardware limitations will still exist given that if you want to aim for the largest installed base, you have to use the statistics for what kinds of specs most users have.