By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I honestly believe gaming PCs are becoming niche market

outlawauron said:
Conina said:
outlawauron said:

rom the fact that user surveys of hardware show that their rigs are worse than current gen consoles. I wouldn't call those gaming PCs.

So any hardware less than a "current gen console" (PS4 + XBO) ain't no gaming hardware anymore? A PC with a Core2Quad and a GTX 470 or a GTX 560 or GTX 650 or a similar performing AMD-card was a gaming PC until early November, but lost its gaming status a few days after that?    

With that logic, PS3, 360, Wii U, and Wii aren't no "gaming consoles" anymore, too.

I built my PC in 2009/2010. It's no longer up to the standards of gaming PCs. It can handle most things on low/medium settings, but I still wouldn't consider it a gaming PC or myself a big PC gamer.

It would help if you posted your specs. But even then, their are plenty of PCs in that survey that are more powerful than Wii U/PS3/360 that are capable of playing most AAA multi-plats.

Furthermore, even if that 90% figure is true, that's still more gaming PCs (that are more powerful than XOnes) than there are XOne consoles in consumers hands. That figure will only grow as the gen goes on. 

Around the Network

I really think if anything is going to damage the PC market it is Microsoft.Apparently windows 9 will share the same metro UI as windows 8.If so more people will move to Linux, splitting the userbase further.

outlawauron said:
Tamron said:
outlawauron said:
Xenostar said:
Strange belief when steam just posted there record for highest number of online users last week

And 90% of Steam users don't have gaming PCs. 

interesting,  which orafice did that figure come from? 

From the fact that user surveys of hardware show that their rigs are worse than current gen consoles. I wouldn't call those gaming PCs.

I would. There are many rigs worse than current gen consoles that can outpreform a PS3/360 or get close to it. Not that current gen consoles are that great, but your comparison is awful.

outlawauron said:
Conina said:
outlawauron said:

rom the fact that user surveys of hardware show that their rigs are worse than current gen consoles. I wouldn't call those gaming PCs.

So any hardware less than a "current gen console" (PS4 + XBO) ain't no gaming hardware anymore? A PC with a Core2Quad and a GTX 470 or a GTX 560 or GTX 650 or a similar performing AMD-card was a gaming PC until early November, but lost its gaming status a few days after that?    

With that logic, PS3, 360, Wii U, and Wii aren't no "gaming consoles" anymore, too.

I built my PC in 2009/2010. It's no longer up to the standards of gaming PCs. It can handle most things on low/medium settings, but I still wouldn't consider it a gaming PC or myself a big PC gamer.

My PC built in 2011 can handle stuff on high-max. Also current gen consoles basically run games at medium anyways. To suggest otherwise is wrong.

Nettles said:
I really think if anything is going to damage the PC market it is Microsoft.Apparently windows 9 will share the same metro UI as windows 8.If so more people will move to Linux, splitting the userbase further.

let me tell you how little sense this makes. 

you are basically saying some people liking uncharted,  and some people liking gran turismo,  is splitting the ps3 userbase. 

windows and linux is just software,  games can run on them both,  steam is available on both and mac too. 

if someone doesnt like windows 9, theyre likely not going to switch to linux,  instead theyre going to do what they did when they didnt like windows 8, thay being,  stick with windows 7.

Around the Network

I was a PC gamer for more than 10+ years. And I mean strictly PC. Then I just got tired of upgrading hardware, messing with drivers, dependencies (this version of C++ runtime, need this version of DX, .net, ect., does this game old game still work with Windows 7?), reinstalling games (whenever I wanted to reformat). I eventually just got tired of doing that just to play games (or just to feel good about how powerful it is).

I don't know what got me looking into consoles (last console I owned before PC was PS2), but the thought that as long as the game is made for the system, it will run on it. With no installing (optionally), just put in the disc and play. If the console breaks, I don't have to worry about hardware or software compatibility with that entire library, I just buy a new console, and my entire library still works. I like how the games are tied to the specific hardware. Also, playing with a controller on the couch appealed to me as well. Yeah, I know you can hook a PC to a TV and use a controller, but I'm not going to put my expensive computer in the living room to just play game, and definitely not taking it back and forth to my computer desk. I also find the game choices better on console better for some reason. </endbro'scoolstory>

Tamron said:
Nettles said:

you are basically saying some people liking uncharted,  and some people liking gran turismo,  is splitting the ps3 userbase. 

windows and linux is just software,  games can run on them both,  steam is available on both and mac too. 

if someone doesnt like windows 9, theyre likely not going to switch to linux,  instead theyre going to do what they did when they didnt like windows 8, thay being,  stick with windows 7.

Not nearly as many games supported on linux.

My point being : new versions of windows are "system sellers" ie they push more new hardware, new hardware is more likely to be able to play the 'AAA' games mentioned in the OP.Go check PC sales figures and see the spike when there is a successful windows release ie 7 as opposed to a Vista or 8.Far less new hardware sold when these dud OSes come out.

Ofcourse gaming pcs are niche, there are 1.1 billion pc's in the world (2012). What percentage of those are gaming pcs... Console gaming is niche too compared to 1.5 billion (2013) smart phones.

Luckily pc and consoles can share the same games easier than ever, and have their own advantages, both will go on.

Nettles said:
Tamron said:
Nettles said:

Not nearly as many games supported on linux.

My point being : new versions of windows are "system sellers" ie they push more new hardware, new hardware is more likely to be able to play the 'AAA' games mentioned in the OP.

the larger portion of prebuilt buyers generally dont base thier choices on specific os features and will flock to whatever is new regardless. 

your arguments broken anyway,  ms have already stated that win9 will not use metro by default unless tablet or similar hardware is detected and that it will be manually settable if you want to override that. 

the odea that a pc needs to be a specific spec to be considered a gaming pc is retarded, a nes is still a games console despite being so far behind in tech, if a pc can run games, even older games then its a viable gaming platform.

Calling it niche is rediculous, the fact remains millions of people every day play games on pc, it doesnt matter if that games a AAA blockbuster or minecraft, a game is a game.

People just like moving the goalposts around to suit their preferences.